OT: Olympics Talk

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I must've erased it from my memory since it's so stupid and been such a long time since the Olympic hockey was actually interesting (i.e. with NHLers)

I agree it’s beyond stupid to use an individual skill competition to determine the winner of a team sport in an elimination game. Can you imagine an Olympic basketball game being decided with a free throw or slam dunk competition? :laugh:

Thank god nhl shootouts go away in the postseason.

Reactions: DaveG

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i went to bed late in the first period. so, so glad i didn't stay up to watch team usa choke on it.

i only watched about 5 minutes of team canada in the entire tournament. do any of you that watched more of them think estaalo has a chance to get picked up for the rest of the nhl season? seems like the main board consensus is he was not good at all, yet kept his first line spot i spite of his performance.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The very little I saw Staal didn't stand out, but he's only up to about 9 games played this year and produced decently. I'd still consider him simply to possibly continue jolting Jordan out of hibernation. But I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i should have added that "picked up" meant by any team, not specifically the canes. (honestly, i'm perfectly happy with him remaining a former cane, fwiw)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
i should have added that "picked up" meant by any team, not specifically the canes. (honestly, i'm perfectly happy with him remaining a former cane, fwiw)
Yeah, I got that. If he's willing to play more than a place or two and for cheap, I think he'll end up somewhere.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I find ending a game passed the round robin games in a shootout to be ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is being able to reuse players after the first 5.

and F Russia wins

Reactions: geehaad

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
For once I rooted for Sweden to win, just to have the final to be about hockey only.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Do soccer fans have this much antipathy towards games ending with the PK?

Not as much, as the likelihood of scoring in OT is lower, there are no sudden death goals (anymore, thankfully, those were crap and didn't fit the sport), and there is no tradition of "playing until someone scores" anywhere – in the olden days, the method of choice was arranging a replay match. Also, shootouts have been around in international competition since 1976 and are nowadays pretty much accepted as part of the drama and the spectacle.

Also too, the very first tournament final shootout was won by this classic shot, which immediately became part of world football lore.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not as much, as the likelihood of scoring in OT is lower, there are no sudden death goals (anymore, thankfully, those were crap and didn't fit the sport), and there is no tradition of "playing until someone scores" anywhere – in the olden days, the method of choice was arranging a replay match. Also, shootouts have been around in international competition since 1976 and are nowadays pretty much accepted as part of the drama and the spectacle.

Also too, the very first tournament final shootout was won by this classic shot, which immediately became part of world football lore.

as a lifetime soccer player (footballer, if i must), offsides needs to be abolished. Cherry picking isnt a thing if the defense is doing its job. I would also allow 2 more substitutions in a game. The middle of the field will be opened up immensely with offsides gone and the pace of the game would pick up. 2 more allowable subs would keep the pace up as well. no need for PKs anymore.

Reactions: geehaad

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
as a lifetime soccer player (footballer, if i must), offsides needs to be abolished. Cherry picking isnt a thing if the defense is doing its job. I would also allow 2 more substitutions in a game. The middle of the field will be opened up immensely with offsides gone and the pace of the game would pick up. 2 more allowable subs would keep the pace up as well. no need for PKs anymore.

My only gripe is the yellow card, which should be accompanied by a 10-minute sin bin penalty like it does in rugby. The game would speed up and open up a lot, if cynical fouling to prevent counterattacks carried a price with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad