GDT: Olympics: Sun, 23-Feb-2014 | CAN v SWE | 7:00a ET | CBC | Gold Medal Game

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
i found the women's gold medal game was more entertaining than both Men's semis and finals.

I personally find women's hockey horrendous. Lots of flubbing passes turnovers and general sloppiness. They are probably better hockey players than I could ever hope to be, but I still don't think its anywhere close to the men's tourney.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I personally find women's hockey horrendous. Lots of flubbing passes turnovers and general sloppiness. They are probably better hockey players than I could ever hope to be, but I still don't think its anywhere close to the men's tourney.

I'm not comparing skill level. But rather entertainment level. There's a drive to play the game they had that was not present in the Men's last 2 games (not referring to Canada specifically but the overall feel of the games).

I found our game against Latvia and Finland were more entertaining (or exciting) that the semis and Finals

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
In the context of the Olympics only, I probably enjoy curling more than hockey.

Mostly because there's something about Olympic curling that is much more intense and fun to watch than Olympic hockey for some reason.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
TBH the swedish WJC teams have played much better than this Olympic team the last 5 years or so... Finland didnt really have the manpower either and Russia choked? Doesnt leave much for entertainment.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
In the context of the Olympics only, I probably enjoy curling more than hockey.

Mostly because there's something about Olympic curling that is much more intense and fun to watch than Olympic hockey for some reason.

If you find curling more intense than hockey......I don't even know.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

BREAKING NEWS: DIFFERENT PEOPLE LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS

We'll have this, and more breaking stories, coming up tonight, on News At Ten.

news-at-ten_1507608c.jpg

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I've been curling possibly for longer than you have been alive (30 years).

I was a provincial level (Ontario) Juniors player.

... yes. I have watched curling before.

It's not an intense hobby.

Also, I've been alive longer than you've been throwing rocks around, son. :p

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's not an intense hobby.

Have you played? Been in a competitive spiel? Provincial playdowns? A game with something on the line? Played against guys like John Morris?
It can be very intense.

Also, I've been alive longer than you've been throwing rocks around, son. :p

Meh, based on the average age of posters on these boards, you can't blame me for playing the odds on that one. I had like an 80% chance of being right. :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Have you played? Been in a competitive spiel? Provincial playdowns? A game with something on the line? Played against guys like John Morris?
It can be very intense.

Meh, based on the average age of posters on these boards, you can't blame me for playing the odds on that one. I had like an 80% chance of being right. :laugh:

I'm sure curling is intense for the people participating/competing. But it's about as intense as pool or bowling for a non-curling audience. Still don't get how it's an Olympic sport.

And yeah, us old farts are quite the endangered species 'round these parts. I'd have guessed you were younger as well. ;)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm sure curling is intense for the people participating/competing. But it's about as intense as pool or bowling for a non-curling audience. Still don't get how it's an Olympic sport.

And yeah, us old farts are quite the endangered species 'round these parts. I'd have guessed you were younger as well. ;)

Because it's a sport played in Winter? And it's popular (at least within the realm of winter sports)?

I don't even know how to answer that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Did not enjoy Olympic hockey at all. Very very boring.

Same.

It was excellent hockey from a technical standpoint. Strong defense and few mistakes. It felt like pretty much every team in the Olympics was playing a boring, safe, trap system. Sure, it's better odds for teams trying to win, but difficult to watch.

But it's the mistakes and the intimacy of the smaller North American ice which makes the game more entertaining. That's one of the reasons why the 1980s was so much fun...some really great teams and some horrible ones, along with so-so goaltending. Lots of skating with the skill teams, lots of scrambling in the defensive zone, etc.

If we could combine the 80s style play with the (massively improved) individual skill level of today's players along with getting rid of all the interference and pick plays, and normals sized (1980s) goalie equipment, I'd be in heaven. And get rid of the stupid trap system.

Best way to do it, imo, 3 points for regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for a OT loss. First tie breaker in standings would be Goals For. Force teams to try and push for more goals.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Same.

It was excellent hockey from a technical standpoint. Strong defense and few mistakes. It felt like pretty much every team in the Olympics was playing a boring, safe, trap system. Sure, it's better odds for teams trying to win, but difficult to watch.

But it's the mistakes and the intimacy of the smaller North American ice which makes the game more entertaining. That's one of the reasons why the 1980s was so much fun...some really great teams and some horrible ones, along with so-so goaltending. Lots of skating with the skill teams, lots of scrambling in the defensive zone, etc.

If we could combine the 80s style play with the (massively improved) individual skill level of today's players along with getting rid of all the interference and pick plays, and normals sized (1980s) goalie equipment, I'd be in heaven. And get rid of the stupid trap system.

Best way to do it, imo, 3 points for regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for a OT loss. First tie breaker in standings would be Goals For. Force teams to try and push for more goals.
:handclap: NMF for commish!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

I only ever watch Olympic curling - and honestly only the last 3 or 4 ends of a match... but those ends are actually very intense. The early ends mostly seem like they play for draws, and then the late ends are when they start trying to capitalize on previous mistakes that set the tone of the game.

It's a combination of chess (or any strategy game where you're having to plan out moves multiple steps in advance) and pool trick shots I find.

Never actually played myself, but think I'd enjoy it if I did.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Canada wins gold --> HFsens complains it's boring.

Jeez guys. I know we're Sens fans, but can some of you EVER be happy? It was an amazing defensive display.

And for the record, the women's curling gold match was intense. I love watching curling and am a fan of Jones. She sure shut her haters up.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Other sports would be great if they were Hockey! :fight:

I'm sorry, but I can't watch Curling or any other Olympic sport. It's Hockey or nothin' :yo:

I'll be honest, I don't mind checkin' out some of the women's sports just for their skin tight athletic clothing. :naughty: Bet many feel the same way! :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad