GDT: Olympic Thread - The Pens Board Divided!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I haven't been so wrong about a prospect in a long time as I was about Maatta last summer. I thought he wouldn't be NHL ready. He has been rock solid in the NHL and now he is leading the tournament in points and carrying his defensive partner in the D zone in the Olympics.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
WHat in the...he has 4pts?

Man, I can't wait to see the confidence in his game for the 2nd half after this.
Actually, in his first 29 games for the Pens he did have 4 pts. In his next 29 games he did have 19 pts.. His confidence is sky-high right now. I will be happy with him just keeping his level he showed in Pens uniform for a last month+ (not that he was bad before, but he´s crazy good right now)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid's definitely been off, but a few flubbed chances by linemates gone differently and he has like 4 assists. Kunitz and Carter were dogging it in the first game, and Kunitz was even worse in the second. Add to that a couple of golden opportunities to score himself, whether it be deflections hitting posts or missed chances on the rush, and he's had a shot at getting a few goals, too.

He's not converting, and his linemates haven't played well. He's playing alright--not Sid-like--but nothing to really be upset about. I think we'd all like to see him light it up for a bunch of points from here on out, though.

The bolded is the reason I get frustrated with people saying Sid's not looking good so far, or isn't creating anything.

How often do you see Jeff Carter completely miss the net when he's got the puck in the slot area with no defenders around him? Sid set him up with a beauty pass in Game 1, and that's exactly what he did. 9 times out of 10, Carter at least puts the puck on net.

How often do you see Marty St. Louis shoot directly into the goalie's chest when fed a centering pass from behind the net with him within ten feet of the net? That's what happened twice today on setups from Crosby.

Those are just three blatant examples of two players who are usually better than that not converting on plays Crosby created. Couple that with how many passes Crosby has dropped back to the point and the point man either missed the net or got his shot blocked, and it's not very difficult to suggest with a bit more "puck luck" Sid could have around 3 or 4 assists at this point.

I get that he has to produce. If he's stuck with 1 assist and the tournament's already in the semifinals, then I'll start criticizing. But he's creating chances as well as anyone on the team so far. The difference is the guys he's passing to just haven't converted as well as they normally do.

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Hate to say it, but you lot have an absolute stud in the making in Maatta, if he isn't already. Jammy bastages! ;)

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Hate to say it, but you lot have an absolute stud in the making in Maatta, if he isn't already. Jammy bastages! ;)

He has far exceeded all expectations and at only 19 years old, reaching the untouchable and how much will he need to be paid in relation to Sid & Geno in the future level.:)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sid's definitely been off, but a few flubbed chances by linemates gone differently and he has like 4 assists. Kunitz and Carter were dogging it in the first game, and Kunitz was even worse in the second. Add to that a couple of golden opportunities to score himself, whether it be deflections hitting posts or missed chances on the rush, and he's had a shot at getting a few goals, too.

He's not converting, and his linemates haven't played well. He's playing alright--not Sid-like--but nothing to really be upset about. I think we'd all like to see him light it up for a bunch of points from here on out, though.

Yes this is my opinion as well. I shouldn't have said the half assing it thing. I was wrong and I'm truly sorry and I humbly repent.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
qy4BSTz.gif

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I didn't catch team USA's first game. How did Bylsma manage the d pairings? How much time did Orpik and Martin get? How did they look?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the time difference between Sochi and EST in North America? I'm trying to calculate why a lot of the games seem to be played at 7 or 7:30 am EST.

I'd love to watch US/Russia tomorrow, but 7:30 am is rather early for me to get up for if Canada's not involved.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What's the time difference between Sochi and EST in North America? I'm trying to calculate why a lot of the games seem to be played at 7 or 7:30 am EST.

I'd love to watch US/Russia tomorrow, but 7:30 am is rather early for me to get up for if Canada's not involved.

9 hours

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

They are 9 hrs ahead of us

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So unless my math is off, the bulk of the games are at ... 4 to 4:30 pm Sochi time? Why wouldn't they start at 7:30 or 8 pm Sochi time, like most hockey games usually do?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That clip is cool to see for a couple reasons.

Sick play by Sid. And now I know that Canada is in Black for that game. The other team looks like the stole their jerseys from Team Canada.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
So unless my math is off, the bulk of the games are at ... 4 to 4:30 pm Sochi time? Why wouldn't they start at 7:30 or 8 pm Sochi time, like most hockey games usually do?

14 out of the 30 possible games start at 9:00 PM in Sochi. Most games start earlier because they only play in two arenas, and since it's a tournament they have to have some time between games so there won't be any trouble with the locker rooms etc.

And the women's tournament is still going and they play in the same arenas so that changes the schedule as well.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

They can only play 2 at a time, so they have to be scattered. I believe 9 pm is the most used start time (12 our time).

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I didn't catch team USA's first game. How did Bylsma manage the d pairings? How much time did Orpik and Martin get? How did they look?
Orpik was the seventh defenseman dressed and saw the fewest minutes of the group. Sounds like the plan is to use him mostly on the PK, though there was only one penalty to kill off in the opener.

Martin and Suter both played nearly 20 minutes. McDonagh and Shattenkirk a bit below that. Carlson and Fowler rounded it out.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Here's Bob McKenzie's take about Kunitz potentially sitting for Canada vs Finland:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

On all the (Twitter) love (sarcasm font) Kunitz is getting, IMO there's no chance he's 13th or 14th F vs FIN. None. But that's just me.

CAN spent first 3 games of 2010 looking for LW and RW for Sid; I think 2014 focus is on finding a RW, not going to square one on LW and RW.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why is it so ****ing hard to find a wing for Sid? That bothers me a bit. I know he randomly plays with garbage, but why is it so difficult? He's not a hard player to play with. Just support and get open.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Bob McKenzie has been fuelling the "Sid's hard to play with" crud for ages now and that Canada should take Kunitz because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad