GDT: Olympic Thread - The Pens Board Divided!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
As an American I can comfortably say: GO NOT BYLSMA.

Bleh.

I'm hoping Sid does well, simply because I feel like he (in part because he's Sid, in part because of the C, and in part because of Kunitz) will be the focal point if Canada doesn't win gold.

Also want to see Geno do well, simply because of the enormous pressure the Russian athletes will be under. Zhenya's mom carried the torch in the Olympics for him. Awww.

The Big Dawg*

For the next 2 or so weeks, I'm gonna have to put my Bylsma hatred aside and root for my country.

GO USAAAA!!!! :handclap::yo:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
As an American I can comfortably say: GO NOT BYLSMA.

Bleh.

I'm hoping Sid does well, simply because I feel like he (in part because he's Sid, in part because of the C, and in part because of Kunitz) will be the focal point if Canada doesn't win gold.

Also want to see Geno do well, simply because of the enormous pressure the Russian athletes will be under. Zhenya's mom carried the torch in the Olympics for him. Awww.

Yup. I mean why be concerned about Canada's goal tending or how their defense will do on the big ice surface? Instead, let's ***** about how Crosby was given the C over Toews and how Kunitz made the team over Giroux (even though Giroux has never played LW). :sarcasm:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Can't face cheering Bylsma but I do hope they at least get to the Bronze medal game.

Will be cheering for Canada and then just Maatta and others to do well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hope team USA gets thoroughly trounced, too. And I'm American. Though I think that they'll still do well because of the relative strength of their team. Obviously opinions vary wildly on this... but I don't know how much of a "win" a Disco-led, Orpik-leadership'd team America taking the gold or even simply medaling really is as a Penguins fan.

Mostly still rooting for individual Penguins players. Mostly. And when things get interesting... whoever the underdog du jour is.

I've always had sort of a soft spot for the Czechs and Finns. Team Finland will be much better represented than usual by the Penguins.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am all USA (as an US naturalized citizen), My favorite player in the world is Geno but I dislike Russia, so sorry Geno want to see you fail miserably, I love Sid so naturally Canada will be my second team, and of course Maatta crush will make me cheer for brooding Finns.

Go USA! Go Bylsma! Go Orpik! (I know, I know...)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hate the NHL players are involved with the Olympic's, but I have to root for...

Will-Ferrell-Waving-USA-Flag-Conan.gif

I am all USA (as an US naturalized citizen), My favorite player in the world is Geno but I dislike Russia, so sorry Geno want to see you fail miserably, I love Sid so naturally Canada will be my second team, and of course Maatta crush will make me cheer for brooding Finns.

Go USA! Go Bylsma! Go Orpik! (I know, I know...)

139187872324768_zpsb6e06ce2.jpg

Last edited:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's hard for me to root for the US, what with Orpik existing and all. I mostly just look forward to watching some talented hockey players on the bigger ice surface.

The Big Dawg*

I don't know how some of you can root against USA despite being an American, i know we all pretty much despise Bylsma but still.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yup. I mean why be concerned about Canada's goal tending or how their defense will do on the big ice surface? Instead, let's ***** about how Crosby was given the C over Toews and how Kunitz made the team over Giroux (even though Giroux has never played LW). :sarcasm:

Canada's big, talented, and mobile. Not seeing a need to worry there.

Go Canada!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know how some of you can root against USA despite being an American, i know we all pretty much despise Bylsma but still.

Because it's just a game and not a measure of my love for my country?

I love Olympic hockey because generally the quality of the game is extremely high. You can catch just about any matchup and it's usually very entertaining.

It's just sports. And I'm by far and away a Penguins fan first.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Boo Finland! :thumbd:

With Koivu and Filppula out, we are going to strugle even with team USA. Before injuries, I was sure we are going to finals with Canada. ;) :sarcasm:

penguins2946*

My predictions:

-Orpik will either be scratched or will get embarrassed every game
-Suter-Martin will be a really good top pair for Team USA
-Kulemin will score a ton along Geno, which will make Pens fans want him even more
-Kunitz-Crosby-Carter (just my guess) won't produce as much as people would think
-Maatta will be Finland's best D
-JJ will be pretty quiet without Malkin
-Bylsma will bench Kane at least once for not grinding

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bylsma is a GREAT tournament style coach. His breakdown is when he has to play 7 game series and actually coach within the game. He believes his team can dictate under any circumstance. He also has a roster where he cannot make a lot of mistakes like sending Glass/Adams out.

Typically USA/Canada do well on NHL size ice. This will be interesting. The problem is - these games will be on at such weird times. I hate that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malkin's gonna run wild in this tournament. Kule and Ovi? Dear lord. Smart of Russia to bring in mostly KHL guys who will already be used to the bigger ice.

I believe H. Sedin's out. That hurts Sweden big time. They seem to always be money in these tournaments.

Really looking forward to rematch of USA/Canada. Mini medal game in its own right.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Russia finally came to their senses and included Semin on the roster, right?

But I think only due to injury.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
My predictions:

-Orpik will either be scratched or will get embarrassed every game
-Suter-Martin will be a really good top pair for Team USA
-Kulemin will score a ton along Geno, which will make Pens fans want him even more
-Kunitz-Crosby-Carter (just my guess) won't produce as much as people would think
-Maatta will be Finland's best D
-JJ will be pretty quiet without Malkin
-Bylsma will bench Kane at least once for not grinding
On Määttä: Bold guess, but I agree. :nod:
On Jokinen: True dat.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So, Team USA lines?

Parise-Kessler-Kane
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Stastny-Wheeler
Brown-Backes-Oshie
Stephan

Suter-Shattenkirk
Orpik-Martin (you know these two will start together like it or not)
McDonagh-Carlson

Miller
Quick

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
Sigh.

How great would it have been to see Sid & Stamkos on the same line :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad