GDT: Olympic Thread - The Pens Board Divided!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Best thing I heard today. The news "Olympic snuggle."

Why is it so ****ing hard to find a wing for Sid? That bothers me a bit. I know he randomly plays with garbage, but why is it so difficult? He's not a hard player to play with. Just support and get open.

It's been built into this massive thing. I think it's a but of a self fulfilling prophecy. The winger is bad, Crosby's hard to play with. No instant chemistry, Crosby is hard to play with. Crosby has a bad game, Crosby is hard to play with. etc. Sure, there's a certain type of player he excels with, but it's not **** with anyone but the chosen few. The big thing is the winger, or any player, realizing what he's capable of doing and getting used to it. There's probably a bit of stress in playing with him.

The Pens have just failed to get one, that's purely on the organization.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why is it so ****ing hard to find a wing for Sid? That bothers me a bit. I know he randomly plays with garbage, but why is it so difficult? He's not a hard player to play with. Just support and get open.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy now.

Everyone says it, so the minute someone plays on a wing with Sid, all they can think is, "CAN'T **** THIS UP." Which, of course, leads to **** ups.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
qy4BSTz.gif

This is why he's on another level than every player in this league and has been for a long time. My god, it's like...yeah I don't even know what to say.

He does stuff like his routinely, just random things that are miracle plays for others, but it's just a regular day at the office for Sid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's Bob McKenzie's take about Kunitz potentially sitting for Canada vs Finland:

It makes me laugh that on an allstar team like Team Canada, it's even a struggle then to find him a winger. I wonder if that will shut some people up here. I am ok with Gibby and Beau, but yeah...

I love those Canada jerseys, that weird mustard-gold and the Canada across the chest, I'm loving it. I want to get a Team Canada Sid jersey.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is why he's on another level than every player in this league and has been for a long time. My god, it's like...yeah I don't even know what to say.

He does stuff like his routinely, just random things that are miracle plays for others, but it's just a regular day at the office for Sid.

It's just cocky, Globetrotter hockey :D

penguins2946*

Canada was between a rock and a hard place when it came to bringing Kunitz. If they didn't bring him, and Crosby struggled to to find chemistry with a winger, everyone would be saying "we should have brought Kunitz!" If we do bring him and he sucks, people will yell "Why did we bring Kunitz over (insert name here)?" They were screwed either way

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Really is ridiculous that even on an Allstar team Crosby gets the worst wingers. They just assume since he's the best player in the world that he will turn every winger into an elite one. Well that's not always possible when the guys he's playing so can't handle his passes nor get any to him.

We will all still wonder how great it could be seeing Sid with a talent like Tavares/Perry. Oh well

Michael8771*

Crosby has had two subpar games. TBH he wasn't all that visible in 2010 for two or three games in a row. Well, until the golden goal. Hmmmm.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I didn't catch team USA's first game. How did Bylsma manage the d pairings? How much time did Orpik and Martin get? How did they look?

Orpik got 6 minutes of TOI in a 7-1 win. What confidence. Somehow he managed to be +3 in those 6 minutes though. Martin was with Suter when I was watching. So I imagine he got good TOI.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Really is ridiculous that even on an Allstar team Crosby gets the worst wingers. They just assume since he's the best player in the world that he will turn every winger into an elite one. Well that's not always possible when the guys he's playing so can't handle his passes nor get any to him.

We will all still wonder how great it could be seeing Sid with a talent like Tavares/Perry. Oh well

Canada should have picked Neal over Nash. He's second best Canadian sniper after Stamkos and has experience playing with Crosby and Kunitz. As for Nash, I think we found out Toews' line looked a lot better once he was off it. Wouldn't be surprised if he sat when Canada plays Finland.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Paul Martin played 19:46. Tied with Ryan Suter for most on the USA team. Orpik played 10:51. It was the least most minutes among the 7 D-Men and 2:26 seconds less than any other D-Man. Suter's minutes went down in the 3rd. I think Bylsma was trying to save Suter's energy after they got the big lead. Orpik also got his most minutes in the 3rd period (4:48) after they got the big lead. He got 4:17 in the 2nd and just 1:46 in the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig