Olympics: Olympic Meme

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The picture of bronze winning Finnish team was one of the Olympic icons on these boards and you insert their picture from Vancouver with Kiprusoff, Koivu and bald Jokinen at center instead?

Very disappoint.

An Argument For

Feb 25, 2014
Ahhh, come on man! The reigning Art Ross trophy winner being ripped off twice in a row by his own General Manager? Add to that that that guy is a late bloomer that truly had to work for all he got. What did you expect?

He wasn't good enough to make it and shouldn't have been there.

As far I'm concerned the person ripped off the most is Giroux.. someone owes that man a gold medal.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Meh, if you win, you win all the same. Who cares if it's a boring 3-0 commanding performance or a 3-2 nail biting overtime win. You still get the title. By the time it was 3-0 I just wanted some satification and that might have come with Chris Kunitz, the whipping boy of Canadian fans, scoring the game winning goal.

The gold medal game itself was pretty boring to be honest. All the Russians had given up the tournament after the loss to Finland and it kind of had this weird feel of a high school tournament where the only people interesting were your classmates who'd driven the eight hours to see the game. If that makes sense to anybody, but by the gold medal game everybody who we knew were kind of exhausted from the two week tournament and with the way the game played out it was kind of anti climatic. I may be completely biased but from what I saw the Canadian fans there, and for foreign fans it was Canadians, a few Americans and then I'm pretty sure I was on a first name basis with all 12 european hockey fans there, were much more nervous for the US game. After Canada beat the US and the US got **** on by the Finns they seemed to be really confident. Sweden at least made a bit of a game out of it in the first period so there was some thought that it might be a game, but after Crosby's goal everbody kind of knew that it was over.

You can pretty much see it from the celebrations of the players. They sort of hopped over the boards and high fived each other like at the end of a Tuesday night game in November. To be honest that was the lamest most insulting part of the whole experience. The Canadians looked like they didn't even care, like it was so easy to win the gold medal that they just sort of said, "eh yeah finally this tournament is over, it was sooo boring."

The only highlight for me was the after party. It was the end of the tournament and order sort of just broke down in the park that night. The Russian volunteers were free from any obligations and started going crazy, dancing, giving away their clothing and.... I may have said too much.

The Canada house was nice enough to put out lawn chairs on the grassy area outside their facility. Right next to the US house which was basically ground zero security class A zone which you couldn't get it. So because my friend was Canadian, and I'd lived in Canada I mostly made friends with the other Canadian fans there. They tried to give me the standard **** along the lines of their assumption that I was an ignorant American who thought all Canadians were John Candy caricatures, but when they realized I knew about as much about Canada as they did, we became friends pretty quickly.

Then there was the curse. While there I attended several different events. The first event we saw was speed skating, where Carl Hamlin (who I shared a beer with later) won gold in supposedly (I don't follow speed skating or any olympic sport outside of hockey really) a big upset. The next event we saw was women's Alipine slopestyle. Canada won gold. Then we saw both women's curling and men's curling, where Canada won gold. We went to the women's gold medal game where Canada obviously won. Then we saw slopestyle and Canada ******* won gold again! Here's the funniest part. We had ski jumping tickets, but I bailed and gave my ticket away and only my friend went. This was the one event he saw where Canada did not win gold. Needless to say this got around to the Canadian fans. And there were not a lot of pure fans at the Sochi olympics so we basically all knew each other. When the gold medal men's game came up they all pooled together and bought my ticket. No joke, they were convinced that I was a good luck charm. Afterward Canada's inevitable win, I was there wasn't I!, I didn't pay for a drink the entire night. One guys bought me a $100 bottle of french wine. The other guy bought me a $150 bottle of Russian vodka (realize that the park prices were vastly inflated) and then we all went out on the town and well... I've said too much.

Great read, buddy.

Based on what you wrote, the men's GMG was blah but, I have to ask,...

What was the women GMG game like? What was it like when the puck drifted towards the empty net? Was there a point when you thought, "Oh no, we're actually going to lose this thing"?

If you have time, I would love to read about it.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The only highlight for me was the after party. It was the end of the tournament and order sort of just broke down in the park that night. The Russian volunteers were free from any obligations and started going crazy, dancing, giving away their clothing and.... I may have said too much.

You stopped at the best part. :)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Great read, buddy.

Based on what you wrote, the men's GMG was blah but, I have to ask,...

What was the women GMG game like? What was it like when the puck drifted towards the empty net? Was there a point when you thought, "Oh no, we're actually going to lose this thing"?

If you have time, I would love to read about it.

Honestly the women's game was more exciting than the men. I still remember hanging outside the Canada house and right before the game Mike Babcock, Claude Julien and Lindy Ruff just walk out and head over to the game. Gary Bettman was just strolling down the park, nobody even knew who he was. The game had a much better energy to it than the men's gold medal. Fact is that Canadian and American fans were the most prominent foreigners there, and you know for the women's teams, this is the ultimate show and everybody's family was there. You really had an interested crowd and then even the Russian fans got into it, unlike the men's game where they sort of just sat there and where there were only about a dozen Swedish fans.

I don't really get into women's hockey so I wasn't nearly as nervous or miserable as during the men's semifinal. But obviously I wanted the US to win and when we were up 2-0 I figured, finally I'll get something to talk trash about. When Canada scored I started to get worried and you could just sense that the Americans were rattled. When the puck slide down the ice I don't think many people in the stadium really thought it was going in, then as it slide slowly towards the goal I think more and more people realized it might go in and so there was this sort of collective inhaling in the stadium. The American fans were ready to yell and cheer, the Canadian fans were just holding it in out of nerves. Then it hit the post and kind of the entire stadium just exhaled. No real coherent sound was made, but more of just a "pheeeeeeew" of air coming out. Canadians thinking phew that was close, Americans thinking, damn that was close.

Then Canada scored and the place went crazy.

I can say that I've never come in to a game with less interest and left with such a gutted feeling. I didn't really mind losing so much, I didn't even mind how we lost in terms of the blown lead, but to lose in overtime, with two penalty calls that frankly were TERRIBLE, was just... :help:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Honestly the women's game was more exciting than the men. I still remember hanging outside the Canada house and right before the game Mike Babcock, Claude Julien and Lindy Ruff just walk out and head over to the game. Gary Bettman was just strolling down the park, nobody even knew who he was. The game had a much better energy to it than the men's gold medal. Fact is that Canadian and American fans were the most prominent foreigners there, and you know for the women's teams, this is the ultimate show and everybody's family was there. You really had an interested crowd and then even the Russian fans got into it, unlike the men's game where they sort of just sat there and where there were only about a dozen Swedish fans.

I don't really get into women's hockey so I wasn't nearly as nervous or miserable as during the men's semifinal. But obviously I wanted the US to win and when we were up 2-0 I figured, finally I'll get something to talk trash about. When Canada scored I started to get worried and you could just sense that the Americans were rattled. When the puck slide down the ice I don't think many people in the stadium really thought it was going in, then as it slide slowly towards the goal I think more and more people realized it might go in and so there was this sort of collective inhaling in the stadium. The American fans were ready to yell and cheer, the Canadian fans were just holding it in out of nerves. Then it hit the post and kind of the entire stadium just exhaled. No real coherent sound was made, but more of just a "pheeeeeeew" of air coming out. Canadians thinking phew that was close, Americans thinking, damn that was close.

Then Canada scored and the place went crazy.

I can say that I've never come in to a game with less interest and left with such a gutted feeling. I didn't really mind losing so much, I didn't even mind how we lost in terms of the blown lead, but to lose in overtime, with two penalty calls that frankly were TERRIBLE, was just... :help:

Thanks for writing this Xokkeu.

I was curious what it was like during that game - other than Russia vs the U.S., it was easily the best game.

"I can say that I've never come in to a game with less interest and left with such a gutted feeling." - Well said. :)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Thanks for writing this Xokkeu.

I was curious what it was like during that game - other than Russia vs the U.S., it was easily the best game.

"I can say that I've never come in to a game with less interest and left with such a gutted feeling." - Well said. :)

In terms of atmosphere there were the Russia games, and then there was everything else. Russia-US had the most atmosphere because the game was close all throughout. The Finland-Russia came went somber before I had even sat down because of how quickly Finland answered Russia's goal.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Meh, if you win, you win all the same. Who cares if it's a boring 3-0 commanding performance or a 3-2 nail biting overtime win. You still get the title. By the time it was 3-0 I just wanted some satification and that might have come with Chris Kunitz, the whipping boy of Canadian fans, scoring the game winning goal.

The gold medal game itself was pretty boring to be honest. All the Russians had given up the tournament after the loss to Finland and it kind of had this weird feel of a high school tournament where the only people interesting were your classmates who'd driven the eight hours to see the game. If that makes sense to anybody, but by the gold medal game everybody who we knew were kind of exhausted from the two week tournament and with the way the game played out it was kind of anti climatic. I may be completely biased but from what I saw the Canadian fans there, and for foreign fans it was Canadians, a few Americans and then I'm pretty sure I was on a first name basis with all 12 european hockey fans there, were much more nervous for the US game. After Canada beat the US and the US got **** on by the Finns they seemed to be really confident. Sweden at least made a bit of a game out of it in the first period so there was some thought that it might be a game, but after Crosby's goal everbody kind of knew that it was over.

You can pretty much see it from the celebrations of the players. They sort of hopped over the boards and high fived each other like at the end of a Tuesday night game in November. To be honest that was the lamest most insulting part of the whole experience. The Canadians looked like they didn't even care, like it was so easy to win the gold medal that they just sort of said, "eh yeah finally this tournament is over, it was sooo boring."

The Canada house was nice enough to put out lawn chairs on the grassy area outside their facility. Right next to the US house which was basically ground zero security class A zone which you couldn't get it. So because my friend was Canadian, and I'd lived in Canada I mostly made friends with the other Canadian fans there. They tried to give me the standard **** along the lines of their assumption that I was an ignorant American who thought all Canadians were John Candy caricatures, but when they realized I knew about as much about Canada as they did, we became friends pretty quickly.

Then there was the curse. While there I attended several different events. The first event we saw was speed skating, where Carl Hamlin (who I shared a beer with later) won gold in supposedly (I don't follow speed skating or any olympic sport outside of hockey really) a big upset. The next event we saw was women's Alipine slopestyle. Canada won gold. Then we saw both women's curling and men's curling, where Canada won gold. We went to the women's gold medal game where Canada obviously won. Then we saw slopestyle and Canada ******* won gold again! Here's the funniest part. We had ski jumping tickets, but I bailed and gave my ticket away and only my friend went. This was the one event he saw where Canada did not win gold. Needless to say this got around to the Canadian fans. And there were not a lot of pure fans at the Sochi olympics so we basically all knew each other. When the gold medal men's game came up they all pooled together and bought my ticket. No joke, they were convinced that I was a good luck charm. Afterward Canada's inevitable win, I was there wasn't I!, I didn't pay for a drink the entire night. One guys bought me a $100 bottle of french wine. The other guy bought me a $150 bottle of Russian vodka (realize that the park prices were vastly inflated) and then we all went out on the town and well... I've said too much.

I agree - the Gold Medal game was boring, although I'm sure the Canadians got some enjoyment out of it. It looked to me as if Sweden packed it in and accepted defeat after Crosby stripped Erickson at the blue line and took it the length of the ice early in the Second period. As soon as a game loses its competitive edge, its almost as if you want it to end as soon as possible.

The Bad Guy*

Starting this WHC your presence is mandatory at all future TC games until you prove you really are not any blessing to us.

That's an order.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree that St. Louis proved that he didn't belong. He was put in a minimal role and was involved in a decent amount of chances. No question he handled the whole situation like a petulant child though.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I disagree that St. Louis proved that he didn't belong. He was put in a minimal role and was involved in a decent amount of chances. No question he handled the whole situation like a petulant child though.

I agree. TBH, I didn't have an issue with his play - it was fine. Just his attitude.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
3. Canada avoids Olympic upset and squeaks by Latvia. A weak slashing penalty on defenseman Georgijs Pujacs – put the Canadians on the power play.

Since you've decided to crow about weak calls that benefited other countries. Mine as well call that phantom slash what it was - WEAK. Who knows we could have seen Canada's shootout skills.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

3. Canada avoids Olympic upset and squeaks by Latvia. A weak slashing penalty on defenseman Georgijs Pujacs – put the Canadians on the power play.

Since you've decided to crow about weak calls that benefited other countries. Mine as well call that phantom slash what it was - WEAK. Who knows we could have seen Canada's shootout skills.

I don't agree but touche, SDB. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad