Olympics: Olympic Meme

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

What would your Olympic Meme be??? My 10...

1) Goaltending was supposed to be Canada’s weakness...

price1.jpg

It was anything but.

2) The only team not lose to Canada (in regulation)...

Team-Finland.jpg

FINLAND!!!

3) Goalposts gives U.S. the win against Russia...

2014-02-20T215020Z_1613931631_LR2EA2K1ONL6F_RTRMADP_3_OLYMPICS-ICEHOCKEY.JPG

Takes it away against Canada.

4) Penalty shots saved the U.S. against Russia...

201402220939347453535-p5.jpeg

Kills the U.S. against the Fins.

5) Russia spent $50+ Billion on the Olympics...

article-2560121-1B841D9600000578-32_634x506.jpg

$10 goalpost peg cripples them.

6) Garth Snow doesn't allow Lubomir Visnovsky to play at the Olympics for fear of injury...

470414505.jpg

Loses Tavares for the season.

7) O.V. scores seconds into Russia’s first game...

86fcf1a0-9989-11e3-b826-2ba5d4fb472c_470342485.jpg

Never scores again.

8) St Louis doesn’t make Olympic team and pouts...

ap-stlouis-olympics-022314.jpg

Makes Olympic team and proves he shouldn’t have been there.

9) U.S. kicks Finland's @ss in 2010 Olympics...

Team-Finland.jpg

Finland returns the favour in 2014.

10) Stamkos injury costs St Louis place on original Olympic roster...

rangers.jpg

St Louis not being on original Olympic roster costs Stamkos St Louis for the rest of his career.

Please add your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Already kind of forgot about the Olympics. Nothing all that memorable because Canada put on an absolute clinic of perfect hockey. Nobody stood a chance.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I thought #5 and especially #8 were funny.

Still can't believe how childish St. Louis was about the whole situation.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Thanks, buddy. I thought St. Louis acted poorly as well.

:)

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under

Ahhh, come on man! The reigning Art Ross trophy winner being ripped off twice in a row by his own General Manager? Add to that that that guy is a late bloomer that truly had to work for all he got. What did you expect?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Ahhh, come on man! The reigning Art Ross trophy winner being ripped off twice in a row by his own General Manager? Add to that that that guy is a late bloomer that truly had to work for all he got. What did you expect?

Ripped off? He wasn't one of the best 12 odd Canadian forwards in the World. I wouldn't have picked him, and as a professional athlete you should be able to handle being cut and not act like a junior high kid crying and sulking about it.

You mad you didn't make the team? Put up some points and make some plays on the Canadian team. Or how about after you get your trade that you demanded, put up some points for your new team. St. Louis has 3 assists in 14 games while Callahan has 9 points in 13 games.

St. Louis just embarrassed himself this season and keeps making it worse.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Ripped off? He wasn't one of the best 12 odd Canadian forwards in the World. I wouldn't have picked him, and as a professional athlete you should be able to handle being cut and not act like a junior high kid crying and sulking about it.

You mad you didn't make the team? Put up some points and make some plays on the Canadian team. Or how about after you get your trade that you demanded, put up some points for your new team. St. Louis has 3 assists in 14 games while Callahan has 9 points in 13 games.

I'm just saying that St. Louis is a star-strucked individual: Known to be very revenge-orientated becouse of his lack of size and constant production on no matter the level before he made the NHL, but still he did not get the chance until very late.

What did you expect? We're not talking about one of those brat first round picks here. He just felt that he had deserved this spot, not the least through his 12/13 Art Ross.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm just saying that St. Louis is a star-strucked individual: Known to be very revenge-orientated becouse of his lack of size and constant production on no matter the level before he made the NHL, but still he did not get the chance until very late.

What did you expect? We're not talking about one of those brat first round picks here. He just felt that he had deserved this spot, not the least through his 12/13 Art Ross.

I agree with Xokkeu.

There are people out there, making minimum wage, working two jobs, living below the poverty level, cleaning toilets and getting passed over for raises and promotions. Sadly, they have no choice but to grin and bare it. Over the course of his career, the TB Lighting have paid St Louis in excess of $100M so I won't be losing any sleep over his hurt feelings.

You pay me that kind of money, you could set me on fire and I wouldn't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I agree with Xokkeu. Over the course of his career, the TB Lighting have paid St Louis in excess of $100M. You pay me that kind of money, you could set me on fire and I wouldn't complain.

So for $100M you are ready to commit suicide. I can only hope for you no-one ever offers you that kind of money.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So for $100M you are ready to commit suicide. I can only hope for you no-one ever offers you that kind of money.

I am sure there are many U.S. posters taking up a collection as we speak. :)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

If anything that whole background should show that he doesn't deserve anything. You have to earn it.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I agree with Xokkeu.

There are people out there, making minimum wage, working two jobs, living below the poverty level, cleaning toilets and getting passed over for raises and promotions. Sadly, they have no choice but to grin and bare it. Over the course of his career, the TB Lighting have paid St Louis in excess of $100M so I won't be losing any sleep over his hurt feelings.

You pay me that kind of money, you could set me on fire and I wouldn't complain.
I did not know that we were talking about you, me and Irene... oops, Xokkeu. I thought we were talking about Martin St. Louis and his life.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I did not know that we were talking about you, me and Irene... oops, Xokkeu. I thought we were talking about Martin St. Louis and his life.

We were talking about how poorly St Louis handled it. The only way to justify my opinion is to put his actions into perspective.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I was at the game and told friend in the 3rd, I hope Sweden scores twice. He says why, so all of Canada can have a heart attack.

I said no, just so chris kunitz scores the golden goal.

If we all had a heart attack, that would be icing on the cake (smile).

Was it fun, Xokkeu? Was it full? Was there any tension in the air? Was it expensive?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If we all had a heart attack, that would be icing on the cake (smile).

Was it fun, Xokkeu? Was it full? Was there any tension in the air? Was it expensive?

Meh, if you win, you win all the same. Who cares if it's a boring 3-0 commanding performance or a 3-2 nail biting overtime win. You still get the title. By the time it was 3-0 I just wanted some satification and that might have come with Chris Kunitz, the whipping boy of Canadian fans, scoring the game winning goal.

The gold medal game itself was pretty boring to be honest. All the Russians had given up the tournament after the loss to Finland and it kind of had this weird feel of a high school tournament where the only people interesting were your classmates who'd driven the eight hours to see the game. If that makes sense to anybody, but by the gold medal game everybody who we knew were kind of exhausted from the two week tournament and with the way the game played out it was kind of anti climatic. I may be completely biased but from what I saw the Canadian fans there, and for foreign fans it was Canadians, a few Americans and then I'm pretty sure I was on a first name basis with all 12 european hockey fans there, were much more nervous for the US game. After Canada beat the US and the US got **** on by the Finns they seemed to be really confident. Sweden at least made a bit of a game out of it in the first period so there was some thought that it might be a game, but after Crosby's goal everbody kind of knew that it was over.

You can pretty much see it from the celebrations of the players. They sort of hopped over the boards and high fived each other like at the end of a Tuesday night game in November. To be honest that was the lamest most insulting part of the whole experience. The Canadians looked like they didn't even care, like it was so easy to win the gold medal that they just sort of said, "eh yeah finally this tournament is over, it was sooo boring."

The only highlight for me was the after party. It was the end of the tournament and order sort of just broke down in the park that night. The Russian volunteers were free from any obligations and started going crazy, dancing, giving away their clothing and.... I may have said too much.

The Canada house was nice enough to put out lawn chairs on the grassy area outside their facility. Right next to the US house which was basically ground zero security class A zone which you couldn't get it. So because my friend was Canadian, and I'd lived in Canada I mostly made friends with the other Canadian fans there. They tried to give me the standard **** along the lines of their assumption that I was an ignorant American who thought all Canadians were John Candy caricatures, but when they realized I knew about as much about Canada as they did, we became friends pretty quickly.

Then there was the curse. While there I attended several different events. The first event we saw was speed skating, where Carl Hamlin (who I shared a beer with later) won gold in supposedly (I don't follow speed skating or any olympic sport outside of hockey really) a big upset. The next event we saw was women's Alipine slopestyle. Canada won gold. Then we saw both women's curling and men's curling, where Canada won gold. We went to the women's gold medal game where Canada obviously won. Then we saw slopestyle and Canada ******* won gold again! Here's the funniest part. We had ski jumping tickets, but I bailed and gave my ticket away and only my friend went. This was the one event he saw where Canada did not win gold. Needless to say this got around to the Canadian fans. And there were not a lot of pure fans at the Sochi olympics so we basically all knew each other. When the gold medal men's game came up they all pooled together and bought my ticket. No joke, they were convinced that I was a good luck charm. Afterward Canada's inevitable win, I was there wasn't I!, I didn't pay for a drink the entire night. One guys bought me a $100 bottle of french wine. The other guy bought me a $150 bottle of Russian vodka (realize that the park prices were vastly inflated) and then we all went out on the town and well... I've said too much.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Meh, if you win, you win all the same. Who cares if it's a boring 3-0 commanding performance or a 3-2 nail biting overtime win. You still get the title. By the time it was 3-0 I just wanted some satification and that might have come with Chris Kunitz, the whipping boy of Canadian fans, scoring the game winning goal.

The gold medal game itself was pretty boring to be honest. All the Russians had given up the tournament after the loss to Finland and it kind of had this weird feel of a high school tournament where the only people interesting were your classmates who'd driven the eight hours to see the game. If that makes sense to anybody, but by the gold medal game everybody who we knew were kind of exhausted from the two week tournament and with the way the game played out it was kind of anti climatic. I may be completely biased but from what I saw the Canadian fans there, and for foreign fans it was Canadians, a few Americans and then I'm pretty sure I was on a first name basis with all 12 european hockey fans there, were much more nervous for the US game. After Canada beat the US and the US got **** on by the Finns they seemed to be really confident. Sweden at least made a bit of a game out of it in the first period so there was some thought that it might be a game, but after Crosby's goal everbody kind of knew that it was over.

You can pretty much see it from the celebrations of the players. They sort of hopped over the boards and high fived each other like at the end of a Tuesday night game in November. To be honest that was the lamest most insulting part of the whole experience. The Canadians looked like they didn't even care, like it was so easy to win the gold medal that they just sort of said, "eh yeah finally this tournament is over, it was sooo boring."

The only highlight for me was the after party. It was the end of the tournament and order sort of just broke down in the park that night. The Russian volunteers were free from any obligations and started going crazy, dancing, giving away their clothing and.... I may have said too much.

The Canada house was nice enough to put out lawn chairs on the grassy area outside their facility. Right next to the US house which was basically ground zero security class A zone which you couldn't get it. So because my friend was Canadian, and I'd lived in Canada I mostly made friends with the other Canadian fans there. They tried to give me the standard **** along the lines of their assumption that I was an ignorant American who thought all Canadians were John Candy caricatures, but when they realized I knew about as much about Canada as they did, we became friends pretty quickly.

Then there was the curse. While there I attended several different events. The first event we saw was speed skating, where Carl Hamlin (who I shared a beer with later) won gold in supposedly (I don't follow speed skating or any olympic sport outside of hockey really) a big upset. The next event we saw was women's Alipine slopestyle. Canada won gold. Then we saw both women's curling and men's curling, where Canada won gold. We went to the women's gold medal game where Canada obviously won. Then we saw slopestyle and Canada ******* won gold again! Here's the funniest part. We had ski jumping tickets, but I bailed and gave my ticket away and only my friend went. This was the one event he saw where Canada did not win gold. Needless to say this got around to the Canadian fans. And there were not a lot of pure fans at the Sochi olympics so we basically all knew each other. When the gold medal men's game came up they all pooled together and bought my ticket. No joke, they were convinced that I was a good luck charm. Afterward Canada's inevitable win, I was there wasn't I!, I didn't pay for a drink the entire night. One guys bought me a $100 bottle of french wine. The other guy bought me a $150 bottle of Russian vodka (realize that the park prices were vastly inflated) and then we all went out on the town and well... I've said too much.

Awesome story. Be careful or CBC will bury you in the ice for every important game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad