GDT: Olympic Hockey part II (US Finishes 2nd, Advances to Quarterfinals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Slovenia hammering Austria so far. Vanek with an extremely lazy play on the 2nd goal. He turned the puck over and instead of back checking he just went straight to the bench. The 3rd Slovenian goal was by some dude with the last name Kovacevic. Same weird last name as our local Pens writer Dejan.

Did not expect Slovenia to being doing anywhere near this well, I was surprised they even won a group game.

Chraa

May 9, 2009
Stockholm
Russia is still misusing Geno and still having trouble scoring, tied 0-0 with Norway and no Malkin on the first PP.. terrible

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Russia is still misusing Geno and still having trouble scoring, tied 0-0 with Norway and no Malkin on the first PP.. terrible

Yeah Malkin is definitely at his best when hes out there every other shift. He can't get his rhythm and confidence going playing once every 5 minutes.

Its weird because Datsyuk looks so slow and confused. But thats the guy they keep throwing out there.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
IMO it´s Malkin playing with Ovechkin! Ovechkin looks like he wants to be the playmaker and doesn´t give Malkin many chances to create a play. If you look how Malkin - Neal plays you will recognize that Neal keeps Malkin making the play and he takes the shot. I guess the Russians would run much better if Malkin plays with Kovalchuk and Ovechkin with Datsyuk.

bingobangobongo

Jun 14, 2010
Malkin and Kulemin passed the puck between them 4 times on a cycle or 3 more times than any one shift with Ovechkin.

Nothing opened up but it was 20 seconds of energy and pressure on Norway.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yep, Neal is a sniper but he and Malkin still make a ton of give and goes which OV just isn't doing.

Chraa

May 9, 2009
Stockholm
I can not for the life of me understand why Kovy gets so much time on the first PP over Geno.

Also, watching the british (bbc) broadcast gives hockey another feel, gotta say the brits know how to call a game even if the colour-commentator is american.

bingobangobongo

Jun 14, 2010
Popov-Malkin-Kulemin have been together twice at the end of PPs and looked good. Kulemin just missed on the JVR move to the front.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I can not for the life of me understand why Kovy gets so much time on the first PP over Geno.

Also, watching the british (bbc) broadcast gives hockey another feel, gotta say the brits know how to call a game even if the colour-commentator is american.

yeah they're pretty good this year, giving OV too much love though.

Chraa

May 9, 2009
Stockholm
yeah they're pretty good this year, giving OV too much love though.

It's the hype, you should hear the swedish commentators talking about Erik Karlsson. Screaming "Here comes the worlds best d-man" at the top of their lungs when Karlsson goes on one of his one-man rushes accomplishing nothing else but getting himself out of position. :laugh:

The commentators get excited even if the player does nothing because of the hype.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

Kovy plays in the KHL. It seems like malkin has always been disrespected no matter where he goes. Pittsburgh or Russia.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you

Could you be so kind to give me a link to that stream, so I don't have to listen to more danish

Fire Shero*

So the coach pairs Geno with Kulemin and Popov?

Why does every coach **** on Geno? Someone, anyone, get Geno 2 good players. Even mother Russia is taunting him.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Why does every coach **** on Geno? Someone, anyone, get Geno 2 good players. Even mother Russia is taunting him.

Geno and Ovechkin have not worked well together. Maybe Geno asked to be paired with Kulemin. I hope it works and Ray is watching :naughty:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

At least he plays. IMO Tarasenko has been Russia's 3rd best player after Malkin and Dats. He gets checking line duty.

Popov and Kulemin get a shot with Malkin while he doesn't is beyond head scratching.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't care if Geno is on the top PP or not, but having Kovalchuk and Ovechkin on the same PP, neither of them on the second PP, and no Semin on the second PP doesn't make a lot of sense.

And Malkin's unit got over a minute of PP time in the 1st period. They ARE using it, but I can't imagine it would produce much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad