Olympic goalie masks

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I remember when goalies in the Olympics used to just use their club masks. I enjoy them all.

651*

The American masks are all very cheesy. Very jean jacket-and-mullet-in-a-pontiac-sunfire. Maybe that's what they were going for.

What would you call that cheesy cartoonish guy on Luuuuuuuu's mask?

Quick>>>>>Luuuuuu

AINEC

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
I suppose I'm in the minority but I hate Hiller's masks. Matte black looks terrible IMO. Gold face shield is tacky too.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Really hate the Finnish masks. Lehtonen gets it somewhat ok for me. And with the jerseys... :shakehead

As always, just loving Hiller's mask. Price's look really good for me too.

Last edited:

swosh

Im pink hair niггa
Jul 3, 2013
Prague
I found Jonas Hiller's mask the best one. It is clear work. There is not too much balast which is problem of other masks.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
The Canadian masks thus far are nice, but I have to say I still love Hiller's. Its just so well designed and classy. I know black isn't on their flag but who cares? It goes really well with the look and I'm sure will compliment the rest of the uniform.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
Well, I don't share your enthusiasm..
The first time I saw Hiller's mask, HC Funeral Service came to my mind. lol

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
What would you call that cheesy cartoonish guy on Luuuuuuuu's mask?

Quick>>>>>Luuuuuu

AINEC

We haven't seen Luongo's 2014 mask yet so hold your horses :laugh:

Really really like Smith's mask, if the totem pole face had been better executed I would have ranked it above Hiller's.

FirstSwitch

Apr 23, 2012
UIPILP.jpg

Is that suppose to be Czech Republic Coat of arms ? Nice paint skills. :)

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Urgh. Combine that with their jersey, and watch as they don't cancel each other out.

That Tuukka's mask combined with finnish jersey is so horrible unesthetic seen, it gotta make effect your opponent somehow, not sure how.. I mean there is everything wrong

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
So he didnt get anything new because thats the gear he wears in the Metal Ligaen. Not surprising though.

It costs at least $1,000 to get a mask painted half decently. I don't think his Danish league wages give him much incentive to spend his hard earned money on mask art. Then again, he's always been pretty basic. He wore a plain black one the last time he suited up for the team.

I wonder if Guddy will have anything special. He's also not raking in the big bucks yet in the AHL, and he was relegated to wearing Tellqvists old Dinamo mask at the Worlds.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
12370484963_6f5671c036.jpg

Mask of Pavelec

This is one of my favourites. Simple, clean, stayed away from a lot of the cluttered airbrushing trend.

Prices is terrible IMO. Looks like a cheapo street hockey mask you would buy at Canadian Tire.

Smith and Hiller masks are two of the best I have ever seen.

Agreed on Price's mask. Pretty disappointing, and definitely reminiscent of those generic street hockey masks they sell to children at Canadian Tire. Wow it's on fire, so cool, so badass.

I'm not a huge fan of Smith's either though. Too cluttered imo. Trying to fit too much in.

Reto Berra's is my favourite, but it'd be so much better without the cartoon character on it.

651*

It costs at least $1,000 to get a mask painted half decently. I don't think his Danish league wages give him much incentive to spend his hard earned money on mask art. Then again, he's always been pretty basic. He wore a plain black one the last time he suited up for the team.

I wonder if Guddy will have anything special. He's also not raking in the big bucks yet in the AHL, and he was relegated to wearing Tellqvists old Dinamo mask at the Worlds.

What?!? I can get my car painted for less than that.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont

Most NHL goalies get their done free as the artists hope that seeing their artwork will bring in regular folks to get masks an motorcycle helmets etc painted. He isn't far off my mask cost me 700 to have it painted.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

If you wanted your mask painted a single colour like a car, it would easily be $100 or less. The artwork on them however takes several dozen hours to design and paint. That's what you pay for. Most pro teams will pay for one mask a year for each goalie, but that's not always the case, especially in the lower leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad