Olympic (boring) vs NHL (Not as boring)

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Way too much trap in olympic hockey. I also prefer the NHL.

A couple of things..

1. The NHL stacked Olympic teams have a huge concentration of high-end players, which makes it unfair to compare the two.

2. The women's victory was more gratifying (for me), in that were not watching a bunch of multi-millionares play for gold.

3. The madness surrounding any Habs cup is prolonged and insane. Way more intense that the Olympics... WAY more...

4. The Hab players are our own. Galchenyuk is one of ours... not Benn or Doughty.

That being said... I really hope Carey (and PK, damn it) bring a gold back to Montreal.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Also, Olympic hockey is more skilled because the team makeup has more skill. But watching the U.S destroy Solvenia is not really a display of skill but rather skill disparity between countries.

And who the eff cares about fighting. It rarely happens and isn't part of the actual 60 minutes. Itis not caused by the smaller rink sizes anyway, but rather more lax punishments for fighting.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Most poeple wants to see a show.
Most poeple wants to see points.

But this is the Olympic.....the goal is not to generate money.
The goal is not to sell tickets.
The goal is not put up points to negotiate a big contract.
The goal is not to sell the game of hockey.

Look at Kessle....5 goals (so far) in this tournament, but nobody gives a **** if
Team USA comes back empty handed. Crosby didn't score a single goal, but nobody will care if they bring back the Gold.

The only goal is to win the Gold and nobody really cares how you look while doing it.
Winning, for once, is the only thing that matters. No money involved, no ego.

I will admit this isn't the best spectacular hockey we've seen, but IMO, the game is as pure as it gets.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Yup. The Olympics suck. Teams play defensive and give you the outside. The NHL is better. I can't wait for Wednesday ! Finally PK will be back.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Don't forget, these players are thrown together just to play 6 games. No real bonding or chemistry as a result. I don't know how anyone would say the USA- Russia or USA- Canada game was boring.

I really don't think you like hockey. Maybe you should stick to WWF wrestling.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Meh...olympics??

I prefer to watch an All-Star game and having the privilege to see a happy multimillionaire winning a Honda Civic after an intense game.

:sarcasm:

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I read this on eyeontheprize:

Code:
I love Olympic hockey
Nice, clean, skillful, speedy hockey. No goons, no fights, no dirty hits, no useless post-whistle scrums. Just people playing the game. Wish the NHL would be similar.

Personally, I find the lack of grit and anger in Olympic hockey a reason a I tune out. I'm glad we won. Love it that Price is getting the kudos he deserves. But holy god, if this is where hockey is heading, I'm finding another sport to watch.

I agree there is very little physical play and I find that to be pretty boring. I also really enjoy the fighting in hockey. I do not find the Olympics exciting to watch at all. I mean hell the womens Canada US game had more hits and animsity than any mens games from all the hi lites I saw.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree with the other poster. Not sure how a fan of actual hockey dislikes watching a Canada vs USA game. Really doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Judging from the comments on this thread, my opinion is shared by others. If you're feelings are hurt, I mean, if your really feel violated, I guest you can call 911, right?

Ya sure..
Or, I'll just enjoy the gold medal game while you cry because there's no Parros on the ice.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I prefer Olympic hockey to the NHL because I like seeing finesse more often.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I prefer the NHL style of play to the Olympics, the US-Canada game notwithstanding. The NHL and Olympics offer two different approaches to the game. One is more frantic and hard-hitting while the other is more methodical. It is up to you to determine what you prefer.

I think the more defensive approach to the games is caused, in large part, by the ice surface and the stakes involved. The bigger ice makes mistakes more glaring so defense and trapping is a more appropriate tactic. As well, each game is like a game seven so a couple of mistakes could mean the end.

There is also a skill disparity to take into consideration. The lesser teams will play a box + 1 in front of the net and will rarely have players enter the zone to pressure the D. It is much harder to generate offense when this is the case.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Rink size don't like. Love having talent galore though and very envious of my father who grew up watching six teams play hockey.

But way too much defensive work for me.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Seeing stacked teams on stacked teams are always going to have plenty of entertainment. It is not like you can't fire up Blackhawks games from the NHL archives. It is the All-Star like roster than makes Olympic hockey good, not the rink size.

And Habseyeontheprize are guys(Marc Dumont) would do away with basic rules of conduct simply because they don't want goons. Yes, you'll find in their archives a vehement defense in the post and comment section of Phil Kessel's slash on John Scott. John Scott is a powder keg who is just out there to pound people, but the means espoused would basically make a travesty of any sort of code of conduct and make it a matter of "skilled guy can do whatever they want while less skilled guys can just accept the abuse". So, by their logic, if Corey Perry or Duncan Keith headshots someone, he is untouchable because he is "skilled'. I am sure he despises Sandis Ozolinsh to the core and probably wished Team Canada gang-stomped all of the Latvians with a skate.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
The Olympics are awesome but to me nothing beats a Stanley cup playoff run by your favorite team, something we haven't seen in a long long time. Although we got to the semi's a few years ago that was fun

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yea something I noticed about this Canadian team was their lack of spit and vinegar and anger. They were more of a systematic styled group and I think Mike Babcock had a lot to do with it, they were sort of like the Red Wings or the old Soviets. Somehow when he coach, he turns everybody into a robot.

Give me heated rivalries any day.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yea something I noticed about this Canadian team was their lack of spit and vinegar and anger. They were more of a systematic styled group and I think Mike Babcock had a lot to do with it, they were sort of like the Red Wings or the old Soviets. Somehow when he coach, he turns everybody into a robot.

Give me heated rivalries any day.

In a one game take-all format, Babcock focused on the correct strategy.

In a seven game series, clearly there it's more leeway for your "spit and vinegar".

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I loved the no fighting, no useless scrums, no cheap shot style playing that I saw during the Olympics. If only we could have that in the NHL. Honestly what the F is the point of having goons? I wanna see skilled hockey, not a bloodbath.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I loved the no fighting, no useless scrums, no cheap shot style playing that I saw during the Olympics. If only we could have that in the NHL. Honestly what the F is the point of having goons? I wanna see skilled hockey, not a bloodbath.

Absolutely.

The Olympics really exploit the skills that I appreciate in the game of hockey...the speed, the skill, the teamwork. No stupid scrums after whistles, no 4th line goons going after someone after a clean body check, no garbage hockey.

As much as I like Parros, he belongs in the WWE with guys like Orr and Scott, amongst many others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad