Olympic (boring) vs NHL (Not as boring)

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
I read this on eyeontheprize:

Code:
I love Olympic hockey
Nice, clean, skillful, speedy hockey. No goons, no fights, no dirty hits, no useless post-whistle scrums. Just people playing the game. Wish the NHL would be similar.

Personally, I find the lack of grit and anger in Olympic hockey a reason a I tune out. I'm glad we won. Love it that Price is getting the kudos he deserves. But holy god, if this is where hockey is heading, I'm finding another sport to watch.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, this was a good game, but it took a while to get here. The SWE-FIN game on the otherhand was not so good. It's basically a mixed bag. But then so is the NHL regular season... you can get good entertaining games, and then we play New Jersey and... :dunno:

Anyway, I don't think the Olympics is "special" enough that it's worth interrupting the NHL for, at least.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'll that I will say is that hockey at the Sochi games were much less vibrant than the Vancouver games. Must be the crowds, the small arena and the empty seats.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
By all means if you don't like to watch players play ****ing hockey then watch another ****ing sport!

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
The game had a very fast pacing and lots of action. Dunno what you want more?

Anyway, I don't think the Olympics is "special" enough that it's worth interrupting the NHL for, at least.

It's because your country is not playing.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
That's what tournaments are. The games are not wild, they are played safe because there is no tomorrow. All single-game elimination tournaments are played like this. It's like most game 7's in the playoffs, tension is high and teams are very cautiaus.

SherbrookeW

Nov 20, 2007
This hockey is superior to the normal NHL brand that anyone who would rather watch the NHL instead has defined himself as a non-hockey fan, and should go right back to roller derby.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I dunno how any Habs fan can find the Olympic hockey boring after watching the Habs play this season.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I'm loving this Olympic hockey style. I'd rather have slightly smaller rinks. But this high paced and attempts to make good plays had me on the edge of my seat. I could easily see myself more into the games with this style.

The biggest problem I have with the NHL and that is slowly making me want to quit it is how inconsistent the rules are. And by that I mean how officiating is different the first 2/3 of the regular season, the last 1/3 and the playoffs. It's as if watching different sports... When one thing is not tolerable in the middle of the season, but it's very ok during the playoffs, that's some outright Pejorative Sluration.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
This hockey is superior to the normal NHL brand that anyone who would rather watch the NHL instead has defined himself as a non-hockey fan, and should go right back to roller derby.

I truly hope comments like this are in the minority :help:

habitue*

This 1-0 game was far more interesting than any 7-5 or 6-4 games we saw this year in the NHL.

Perfect game by BOTH teams, almost.

Look at the game itself, not at the score.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I had a deja-vu moment today. Today's game brought back memories of how much I hated return of NHL in 2010. This tourney has been kind of underwhelming and I missed the Habs, but as of today - and the next two games, it's brought back the breathtaking speed and nature of the game when played by great players. I don't miss the NHL right now

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Olympics so boring. Can't forcheck and can't check aggressively in corners, risk:reward ratio too low on big ice. So more trap, more dump and chase, more endless cycling around perimeter, trying to thread it through a forest of shot blockers or throw it into crease from corner.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Way too much trap in olympic hockey. I also prefer the NHL.

I think a nice compromise between big ice sized rinks but the same proportions of zones as the NHL.

I liked that you could actually gain the zone with the olympic rinks without having to dump it in 90% of the time, but most teams were just sitting on their goalie any time they faced any adversity, which was lame.

Neither is perfect, both can be improved.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The Canada - USA game was boring as hell. It felt like an NHL game in slow motion. There's just too much space. They should add a 4th forward on each side to make it exciting. 3 - 1 - 2.. Next thing you do is you remove the equipment, the skates, the sticks, the ice and replace the puck with a ball and I'm pretty sure most Europeans will just 'looove' it. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad