Olympic (boring) vs NHL (Not as boring)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I thought the hockey was fairly boring as well. I don't find anything appealing about TC beating up on teams with AHL caliber ability. There were 2 good games that TC was involved in all tournament, for the most part, the hockey sucked imo.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I thought the hockey was fairly boring as well. I don't find anything appealing about TC beating up on teams with AHL caliber ability. There were 2 good games that TC was involved in all tournament, for the most part, the hockey sucked imo.

The womens games were good the mens I had zero interest in at all. I couldn't care less about them and wanted to watch the HABS.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
I loved the no fighting, no useless scrums, no cheap shot style playing that I saw during the Olympics. .

I agree. I also enjoyed the near removal of body checks and aggression. Personally, I find hockey rough, and think they should ban equipment. I'd also replace the puck with a tennis ball, or blow-up beach ball. That way no one would get hurt. I'd also ban the US national anthems. Many people don't like the US, so we shouldn't be hurting people's feelings.

Any other suggestions to turn the NHL into street hockey?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
In a one game take-all format, Babcock focused on the correct strategy.

In a seven game series, clearly there it's more leeway for your "spit and vinegar".

Canada has always been playing a more emotion game compared to this, esp. in these type of tournaments. That's what was the difference between us and the rest.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Absolutely.

The Olympics really exploit the skills that I appreciate in the game of hockey...the speed, the skill, the teamwork. No stupid scrums after whistles, no 4th line goons going after someone after a clean body check, no garbage hockey.

As much as I like Parros, he belongs in the WWE with guys like Orr and Scott, amongst many others.

What skills? All we saw was trapping. And having Getzlav and Perry dominates everybody cause of their bigger bodies.

Saintpatrick*

The Olympics was about the best defensive display I've seen in a long time and not just from team Canada. Was it exciting fire wagon run and gun hockey? No but the most skillful players in the world on the ice playing for their countries was very entertaining to me. No staged fights and cheap shots by 4th line scrubs frankly the NHL is a watered down product. Too many teams and a salary cap make it so one team can't be dominate for a long period of time. The era of dynasties is long gone.

Yes the Olympics might have been boring to some due to the defensive nature. Every team seemed to be playing conservative defensive hockey but the talent level on the ice was compelling enough to make it interesting. Just my opinion.

I agree. I also enjoyed the near removal of body checks and aggression. Personally, I find hockey rough, and think they should ban equipment. I'd also replace the puck with a tennis ball, or blow-up beach ball. That way no one would get hurt. I'd also ban the US national anthems. Many people don't like the US, so we shouldn't be hurting people's feelings.

Any other suggestions to turn the NHL into street hockey?

You can have great hockey, big hits and a physical game without resorting to staged fights and cheap shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
You can have great hockey, big hits and a physical game without resorting to staged fights and cheap shots.

For the record, I hate staged fights. But out of anger or justice, bring it on. I love anger-fuelled fights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad