OLN to be renamed "VERSUS"

X0ssbar

I am Jack's Fish said:
We should go back to the days of sportschannel America, you know...

Hockey fans want coverage on TV, they want a network to provide us with a ton of coverage...

Yet, when we get exactly that, we pick it apart and whine incessantly.

Yep..exactly. I love the coverage. Not to sure about the new name but what the hell - as long as they provide fair and balanced coverage of this sport and lots of it I'll be happy.

I've been thrilled with their progression this year. Still plenty of kinks to work out but they are getting there.

Their footprint will expand b/c they have the dollars behind them to expand it. It takes more than a year to get there.

Speaking of coverage - they are showing the Flyers/Pens game from 97 right now. That's what I'm talkin about :yo: -- good luck finding something like this even on ESPN classic.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
So to demand OLN or VERSUS, you call up your cable company and go "Hey putz, give me OLN." and they give it to you for a few dollars extra?

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
reej said:
So to demand OLN or VERSUS, you call up your cable company and go "Hey putz, give me OLN." and they give it to you for a few dollars extra?
They told me today i'd have to upgrade to Digital and get the "Digital Plus" package in addition to that, ridiculous.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I like it. OLN was covering a wide range of programming, and may be going into an even wider range. I suspect they are going to go into boxing, etc. too.

Versus will probably use "VS." as a graphic element, which i like.

OLN is lame. I think Old Librarian Network.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Toxostoma Rufum said:
I like it. OLN was covering a wide range of programming, and may be going into an even wider range. I suspect they are going to go into boxing, etc. too.

Versus will probably use "VS." as a graphic element, which i like.

OLN is lame. I think Old Librarian Network.

When I think of OLN I think of Nascar for some reason.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
any new name would've been suspect to this kind of ridicule. so, when espn started way back when, do you think people have accepted that as a good sports network moniker? if "versus" continues to expand (and do a good job at it), the name could become household just like "espn" is now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
They told me today i'd have to upgrade to Digital and get the "Digital Plus" package in addition to that, ridiculous.

Its $5 a month extra for me. The whole sports and information tier. A bargain.

Now the question should really be... can VS come up with a show to top Sportscenter? I doubt it. I give the guys over at ESPN mad respect because they pull off SC like magic. It is a great show, probably the only good show on ESPN.

Last edited:

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
XavierX said:

Now the question should really be... can VS come up with a show to top Sportscenter? I doubt it. I give the guys over at ESPN mad respect because they pull off SC like magic. It is a great show, probably the only good show on ESPN.
I like ESPN's Cold Pizza in the morning & FSN's Best Damn Sports Show (BRING BACK TOM ARNOLD!) at night.

I am Jack's Fish

Tomas Sandstrom 28 said:
Why not ESPN 8....The Ocho!!

Come to think of it what does ESPN stand for?

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

And they started off showing a TON of tractor pulls

12CUPS4US

Mar 22, 2006
Earth
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Might as well call it DOESNOTEXIST, because until it's carried on every cable provider including basic cable (cough, like ESPN or FSN, etc.) it might as well be imaginary.

This seems to be the most logical & factual post, I've read.
As a dishnetwork dealer/ customer, there's way more to this situation than meets the eye. Marketing and advertising usually make huge mistakes ( takes about 9000 times more intelligence to be an engineer or tech., will they take OUR advice, HA ) these won't show up in their paychecks, so ANYTHING that comes as even a mild success is met with slobbering adoration by their industry, while us poor slobs ( dishnetwork customer's simply S O L , we can't even special order at ANY price) OH, they can treat us like we don't exist, but they'll find it's hard to dismiss a couple million people easiely ! As far as I'm concerned "It's WAR !! " Plus Dish has been putting their own satellites in orbit for a few years now and Direct TV will at some point be 'absorbed' by Dish, THEN OLN or who ever the hell they want to call themselfs WILL be in NO position to DICTATE policy.

Watch and enjoy the fireworks, cause we're mad as hell, and we're NOT gonna take it !!

I am Jack's Fish

12CUPS4US said:
This seems to be the most logical & factual post, I've read.
As a dishnetwork dealer/ customer, there's way more to this situation than meets the eye. Marketing and advertising usually make huge mistakes ( takes about 9000 times more intelligence to be an engineer or tech., will they take OUR advice, HA ) these won't show up in their paychecks, so ANYTHING that comes as even a mild success is met with slobbering adoration by their industry, while us poor slobs ( dishnetwork customer's simply S O L , we can't even special order at ANY price) OH, they can treat us like we don't exist, but they'll find it's hard to dismiss a couple million people easiely ! As far as I'm concerned "It's WAR !! " Plus Dish has been putting their own satellites in orbit for a few years now and Direct TV will at some point be 'absorbed' by Dish, THEN OLN or who ever the hell they want to call themselfs WILL be in NO position to DICTATE policy.

Watch and enjoy the fireworks, cause we're mad as hell, and we're NOT gonna take it !!

You do realize that Dish now carries OLN, right?

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm glad that the NHL hooked up with OLN. Sure, in the beginning, things were a bit shaky; but that’s only to be expected. At least OLN wanted to air hockey programming and saw it as a catalyst to get their network off the ground. They took a chance on a league that had pretty much sat dormant for an entire year and whose TV ratings were getting beat by the likes of NASCAR and poker. As far as I am concerned, ESPN’s crappy coverage aided in hockey’s declining viewer ship (please note however, I am not completely blaming them, the NHL itself had a hand in their own demise.)

From what I recall, ESPN’s coverage of NHL games and shows was pretty nonexistent. They would have aired some stupid World’s Biggest Neanderthal Contest circa. 1987 over hockey programming. Yeah, like I really care how far some 289lb troll with man-boobs can throw a tractor tire.

Kudos to OLN (or whatever they are called) for taking a chance on the NHL!

;)

12CUPS4US

Mar 22, 2006
Earth
I am Jack's Fish said:
You do realize that Dish now carries OLN, right?

180 package has 'outdoor channel' ch 153 180 package, do a search on Dish's site, and you will find that OLN does not exist to them !!

If you know they recently aquired OLN, please inform me of which package or how it's obtained, cause we don't see it or get it ! Scratch THAT !

I just read an e-mail from dish ( dated 24 Apr ) , they've restored OLN to Ch 151 in the 180 package !
Thank God, I can now stop putting my battle armour on !

I am Jack's Fish

12CUPS4US said:
I just read an e-mail from dish ( dated 24 Apr ) , they've restored OLN to Ch 151 in the 180 package !
Thank God, I can now stop putting my battle armour on !

Stand down, excitable soldier!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
XavierX said:

I have to disagree, I absolutely hate SportsCenter because all they talk about is what colour crap Bonds took throughout the day. And a lot of their anchours are just, really really lame.

ESPN News is the only ESPN station I like.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Just for the record, OLN has been awesome this playoff season. The scoreboard is finally at the top, the graphics are BETTER than what ESPN had and they've hired some decent extra announcers like Dave Strader.

Once they figured out their transmitting problems, they have gotten an A+ in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00