Proposal: Olli Maatta for Sam Bennett?

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Well, look what Maatta has had to go through. If he did not have to deal with that cancer he would likely be a different dman, maybe even faster.
Great point. Very excellent point actually.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Sorry but the Flames need Bennett. He's been our 6th/7th best forward this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Calgary would never do this. Seriously why do people make proposals and not take both teams needs into consideration.

Basically the OP said who would I deal Maatta for, while completely ignoring the Flames needs. We don’t need Maatta, in fact dealing Bennett would create a madsive hole. Zero chance this happens plus I love Bennett, easy pass.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think a large majority of Flames fans agree we should be looking to add another Bennett type player, rather than take one away.

The energy he can bring to the team could be comparable to Ferland vs. Canucks level come playoffs.

Pretty easy pass.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Why would Calgary want to add that contract to their blueline? A blueline where he'd be on the 3rd pairing.

That’s another issue - they can’t really afford to. He wouldn’t fit into their top 4 and he makes too much for a bottom pairing guy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep, makes zero sense for the Flames before you even consider value.
Yeah, it really doesn't. I'm not necessarily against moving Bennett and before the Hanifin/Lindholm deal, I would have been okay with adding Maatta but it just makes no sense without factoring in value, which I think is probably fairly close.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Read my posts above. I have had this argument with pens fans.

Why are pens fans so motivated to trade Maata?

He's one of our few playing assets that we could (arguably) survive without that has some trade value. It is amusing that so many think he's a bad player but has good trade value, but we've all seen enough players that we don't rate go for decent prices to know that trade value isn't measured by our perceptions.

He's also seen in a bad light by various segments of the fanbase that believe one (or both) of the following:

a) Anyone who can't skate well is automatically a bad player/a bad fit on the Pens
b) There's no such thing as too many forwards and we spend too much money on our D

And there you have it. Throw in a couple of over active and under thinking Pens fans who like to post a lot of proposals here, and you've got the recipe for many Maatta proposal threads - even if a very sizeable part of the Pens fanbase here don't want to see him go unless we see his replacement (preferably upgrade) in the same trade or very soon afterwards.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
There is a very recent poll on the penguins board where the overwhelming majority of pens voted Maatta as the very worst defenseman on the team. Bennett may not be great, but he’s better than that.
Penguins fans are disappointed in him relative to expectations after his first couple years. They're also reactionary and anyone who has played poorly for longer than 3 weeks is garbage and needs traded

In reality he's a solid 2nd pairing guy and was a rock on a back to back cup winner

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Its so strange. Pens fans pump him up as if he is a bonafide top-4 dman that GMs would salivate at getting. Yet when i look at their Dcorps, they would need a top-4 dman to replace him. What gives? ;)
we want to play an up tempo game. that's not the style that maatta is best suited for. that's not a knock on him, he's just not a good fit. jj is by far the worst d-man but with his contract he's not going to bring back anywhere close to maatta.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
No! Calgary cannot afford to lose a player like Bennett, we are soft as is. He's the last guy we should be looking to move out with regards to our secondary players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No! Calgary cannot afford to lose a player like Bennett, we are soft as is. He's the last guy we should be looking to move out with regards to our secondary players.

Pretty much this.
Only dude on the roster with some ugly to his game. Maatta, while I wanted him at that 2012 draft, does nothing in terms of helping Calgary. He'd be an overpaid depth D, something we just go out of the habit of using.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
we want to play an up tempo game. that's not the style that maatta is best suited for. that's not a knock on him, he's just not a good fit. jj is by far the worst d-man but with his contract he's not going to bring back anywhere close to maatta.

All teams are striving to play uptempo (quick) hockey. The Habs in particular have thrived by playing this style with lesser talent.

This is why I think the pens would have difficulty finding a suitor for Maata, due to his downtempo game. Maata’s game
Is not well suited to the prevailing trend of uptempo hockey.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
All teams are striving to play uptempo (quick) hockey. The Habs in particular have thrived by playing this style with lesser talent.

This is why I think the pens would have difficulty finding a suitor for Maata, due to his downtempo game. Maata’s game
Is not well suited to the prevailing trend of uptempo hockey.
still are some teams on the coast, and maybe I should of used the word "structured" instead of up tempo.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
CGY doesn't have a need for OM and Bennett has been solid for them this year.

Also Pit doesn't need any more wingers.

Just random trade with no thought behind it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Even if Calgary didn't have Kylington, Hanifin, Valimaki, I would not even do Maatta for Jankowski never mind the superior Bennett. We got it right the first time.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't know anything about Sam Bennett... But despite what you may hear from the hand-wringing Yinzer fans in Pittsburgh, Olli Maatta is not a "scrap".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad