Proposal: Olli Maatta for Sam Bennett?

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I remember when a lot of people thought Maata would be the best Dman taken in the 2012 draft. Why a disappointment he’s turned into after initial success. Bennett was just taken 25 picks too early in the draft after a good jr year.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
LD is the last thing Calgary needs. Bennett plays a nice role too

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I remember when a lot of people thought Maata would be the best Dman taken in the 2012 draft. Why a disappointment he’s turned into after initial success. Bennett was just taken 25 picks too early in the draft after a good jr year.
Well, look what Maatta has had to go through. If he did not have to deal with that cancer he would likely be a different dman, maybe even faster.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
There is a very recent poll on the penguins board where the overwhelming majority of pens voted Maatta as the very worst defenseman on the team. Bennett may not be great, but he’s better than that.

I think you trade meat and potatoes for meat and potatoes

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
As weird as it sounds after the whole draft pull-up thing, Bennett brings needed toughness to the Flames lineup. Plus 30 points while playing on the 3rd line with very little PP time isn’t bad. I can’t see them dealing him - especially for something they really don’t need. I don’t even know where Maata would slot in.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Penguins need D if they’re moving out D. Unless it’s JJ.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Bennett is the driver for our third line, and is a key energy spark plug for the flames.

His stats may not be super sexy but he is a huge part of this team.

Maata is struggling, Bennett is setting the tone and pissing off people. Powerforwards take time, no interest in dealing Bennett.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016

I thought he might be a "Lidstrom lite" type of defenseman so you can put me in that category. Yeah, he seems to have gotten slower (which leads to other issues) but he's still better than most people give him credit for.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
No just no! Pens could package him for something better if they need to

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Lol no. Maatta is way more valuable.

Bennett does nothing for the Pens.

Maatta is a need and a decent Dman.

Reactions: JackFr

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Some of our fans are ridiculous and spoiled with success . Maatta is a fine NHL defenseman and is still growing .

His pass out of the zone is solid. He plays solid defense overall and can chip in offensively . Yes he's not the quickest guy on the ice and his first step is slow.

He is probably our most expendable D man because we have some depth and he would bring back the most. I guarantee he is probably looked at around the league by GM's (not couch coaches) as a valuable asset. He's 24 and has 2 cups to boot . Keep hatin

Reactions: td_ice

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why is Maata in every Pens trade thread?
As mentioned, on their boards Maatta recently won a poll with overwhelming numbers for their own worst defenseman.

I think they feel that if they fool someone on a message board who hasn’t been aware of how putrid Maatta has been to an overpay, it would mean something in real life or would suggest that they’d be a good NHL executive.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wrong.

If Maatta is terrible, what is Bennett?

A much more valuable player to the Calgary Flames. Young cheap RFA depth. Maatta probably doesn't crack the roster, Giordano and Hanifin are better and the Flames have two young rookies in Kylington and Valimaki with higher ceilings. If they wanted garden variety depth they could find better and cheaper than Maatta pretty easily.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
As mentioned, on their boards Maatta recently won a poll with overwhelming numbers for their own worst defenseman.

I think they feel that if they fool someone on a message board who hasn’t been aware of how putrid Maatta has been to an overpay, it would mean something in real life or would suggest that they’d be a good NHL executive.

Its so strange. Pens fans pump him up as if he is a bonafide top-4 dman that GMs would salivate at getting. Yet when i look at their Dcorps, they would need a top-4 dman to replace him. What gives? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad