Proposal: Olli Maatta for Sam Bennett?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Bennett’s turned into a solid physical 3rd liner w/ some skill. Due to his draft position I believe he’s a little underrated....... solid role player on a winning team, cheap cap hit.....and on top of that they don’t need LD imo w/ Gio/Brodie/Hanifin/kylington and valimaki

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It’s not an awful proposal but I think we need Bennett more than another D.

Maybe its not bad value-wise, but the highlighted right there is why its still a bad proposal. Unless Cgy's new mantra is to just continually acquire new D, forever.

This guy's proposals are getting a little much. The ones on the Pens board are much crazier

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
Bennett’s not even 23, on pace for over 30 points and makes less than $2 million a year. He may never live up to his draft pedigree, but he’s definitely not scraps. There’s zero chance that we’ll be trading him for Maatta, or his terrible contract.
Bennett is so overrated by flames fans. Maata could still become a legit top 4 defenseman. He is worth 2 Bennetts.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think he changed his username, but this is the guy who puts Tristan Jarry into every proposal. Except this one. I'm surprised.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Bennett is so overrated by flames fans. Maata could still become a legit top 4 defenseman. He is worth 2 Bennetts.
I’m actually not even a Bennett fan. I think he could be replaced fairly easily and the only think keeping him here, is his age/contract. The real question is what does Maatta do exceedingly well, to make him worth more than $4 million a year and the answer is nothing. In all honesty, I think Maatta would be extremely lucky to beat out Kylington or Valimaki for a spot on our roster. It makes no sense for us to move a kid, that still has a shot at becoming a perennial 40 point, physical, middle 6 winger, that will be much cheaper than Maatta for an older, more expensive player, that might not make the roster.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
I’m actually not even a Bennett fan. I think he could be replaced fairly easily and the only think keeping him here, is his age/contract. The real question is what does Maatta do exceedingly well, to make him worth more than $4 million a year and the answer is nothing. In all honesty, I think Maatta would be extremely lucky to beat out Kylington or Valimaki for a spot on our roster. It makes no sense for us to move a kid, that still has a shot at becoming a perennial 40 point, physical, middle 6 winger, that will be much cheaper than Maatta for an older, more expensive player, that might not make the roster.
The forecaster scouting report
" Has excellent size and offensive instincts for the blueline position. Plays a smart game in all three zones on the ice. Is capable of logging big minutes. Despite his 6-2, 206-pound frame, he doesn't initiate a lot of contact and can get pushed off the puck. So, he could stand to play a more aggressive game. Long Range Potential:Talented, big-minute defenseman with some upside.
Also has 2 Stanley cup rings and an Olympic bronze medal. He is only 24 and as we all know it takes defensemen longer to develop. Scored 29pts twice in his short career. Calgary has a good chance to do well in playoffs and as of right now he has more value then Kylington with his playoff experiences.
Sam Bennett is highly replaceable, career -46 player who gets a point every three games. Also, Giordano isn't getting younger. Having depth on the left side would be wise. Calgary should offer Bennett and a 2nd if they have the chance to land Maatta.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The forecaster scouting report
" Has excellent size and offensive instincts for the blueline position. Plays a smart game in all three zones on the ice. Is capable of logging big minutes. Despite his 6-2, 206-pound frame, he doesn't initiate a lot of contact and can get pushed off the puck. So, he could stand to play a more aggressive game. Long Range Potential:Talented, big-minute defenseman with some upside.
Also has 2 Stanley cup rings and an Olympic bronze medal. He is only 24 and as we all know it takes defensemen longer to develop. Scored 29pts twice in his short career. Calgary has a good chance to do well in playoffs and as of right now he has more value then Kylington with his playoff experiences.
Sam Bennett is highly replaceable, career -46 player who gets a point every three games. Also, Giordano isn't getting younger. Having depth on the left side would be wise. Calgary should offer Bennett and a 2nd if they have the chance to land Maatta.
Well if the Forecaster says it, it must be true! I don’t think Maatta is void of all value but the Pens won’t be flogging him off to the Flames.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Maatta is a legit top four blueliner. Been that guy for a few years, like when Pens won b2b cups.

He’s frustrating to watch because of his speed, but Pens would never do this deal.

Reactions: thepuckguru

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
Well if the Forecaster says it, it must be true! I don’t think Maatta is void of all value but the Pens won’t be flogging him off to the Flames.
They certainly won't be flogging him off to the flames for just Bennett. Maybe if you add Kylington?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maatta is a legit top four blueliner. Been that guy for a few years, like when Pens won b2b cups.

He’s frustrating to watch because of his speed, but Pens would never do this deal.

So again, why are the Pens looking to trade a "legit top-4 dman" (your words)?? They would need a legit top-4 dman in return.

Something doesn't add up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So again, why are the Pens looking to trade a "legit top-4 dman" (your words)?? They would need a legit top-4 dman in return.

Something doesn't add up.

They aren’t my words, they are facts. He’s been playing top four minutes since they won their 2016 cup.

What is a guy that’s been playing top four minutes for three years and done it on b2b cup winners?

Just because his skating frustrates fans, doesn’t mean he’s not a legit top four guy. He’s been that for quite some time now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They aren’t my words, they are facts. He’s been playing top four minutes since they won their 2016 cup.

What is a guy that’s been playing top four minutes for three years and done it on b2b cup winners?

Sounds like a guy you should be keeping and not trading. So why is he in every Pens trade thread???

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
They certainly won't be flogging him off to the flames for just Bennett. Maybe if you add Kylington?
Look, it’s really nice that you think Maatta has that sort of value, I’m sure he appreciates it, but as you’re probably accustomed to hearing, we don’t want or need this guy. Move along, maybe try Vancouver next.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sounds like a guy you should be keeping and not trading. So why is he in every Pens trade thread???

Because fans aren’t GMs.

His skating is ugly and it drives fans crazy.

Pens org loves Maatta so it would have to be a big upgrade before JR thought of moving him.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
Look, it’s really nice that you think Maatta has that sort of value, I’m sure he appreciates it, but as you’re probably accustomed to hearing, we don’t want or need this guy. Move along, maybe try Vancouver next.
I did they offered a 5th rounder for Bennett. Pretty fair return.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I love how 24 year old Maata has the potential to improve from a middle pairing tweener to legit top four defensemen but Bennett can't improve from a middle six tweener to legitimate top six winger at 22 years old. You have got to love that bias.

Bennett is an impact player, those who don't realize that simply don't know the player very well outside of his hockeydb page.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I love how 24 year old Maata has the potential to improve from a middle pairing tweener to legit top four defensemen but Bennett can't improve from a middle six tweener to legitimate top six winger at 22 years old. You have got to love that bias.

Bennett is an impact player, those who don't realize that simply don't know the player very well outside of his hockeydb page.

What amazes me is how other teams' fans keep making proposals for him before crapping on him.

"Hey we want your guy, he's young and he's gotten the raw end of the deal so far, so that means he sucks, but hey, we'll take him off your hands, just have our garbage"
"We don't think he sucks, in fact we think he's a big contributing member of our pretty good te-"
"HAVE YOU SEEN HIS HOCKEYDB PAGE? HE SUCKS! GIVE HIM TO US"
"No thanks"
"I DIDN'T WANT HIM ANYWAYS"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, why is it Maatta can still become a legit top 4 guy, but Bennett who is 2 years younger, can't become a top 6 forward still? Seems unfair to cite potential for one player but not the other.

Also, you do understand value is dependent on the team(s) involved, right?

To Calgary, Bennett is more valuable as we need more tertiary scoring and physicality on cheap contracts. We also don't need a guy that "could still become a legit top 4 defenseman" that is being paid like he already is a #4 defenseman. Our top 4 is set and we have 3 other defensemen waiting in the wings that have top 4 potential that are still on their ELCs. So this suggestion not only adds a player we do not need, but it also removes attributes we need more of.

I can't speak on it from a Penguins perspective, because I don't follow them very closely. But, I wouldn't be shocked if they too felt this deal didn't fit their needs.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
It's not that he sucks. He just sucks for a 4th overall pick. He still has value but just not as valuable as Maatta. I would take him on my team as a depth forward anyday. He's a good 3rd/4th liner with grit and leadership qualities. I am neither a flames or penguins fan, just an observer from an outside perspective whose vision isn't biased.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad