Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta for Kahun and a 5th

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont think calling Maata one of the slowest skaters in the league is as hyperbolic as some would prefer to believe.

If he were making like, 2mil, then fine.

But rumors are starting to churn that Theodore might be on the block, just for example. Obviously you want Theodore on this team, but Maata and Seabrook’s combined 11mil tied up in slow 3rd pairing dmen makes that almost inpossible.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I dont think calling Maata one of the slowest skaters in the league is as hyperbolic as some would prefer to believe.

But rumors are starting to churn that Theodore might be on the block, just for example. Obviously you want Theodore on this team, but Maata and Seabrook’s combined 11mil tied up in slow 3rd pairing dmen makes that almost inpossible.

Go get Theodore and buy out Maatta if need be. The Hawks can’t afford to pass on a player like Theodore on that kind of value contract.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, if players like Gusev and Theodore get moved for a reasonable price, Stan should have been more patient. Up until Lehner, I thought we were going to get another high lottery pick so was mostly just happy he didn’t sell out the future or sign anyone long term. Now looking back, I agree with those that say they could have done better if they actually intend on making the playoffs. Hopefully the guys we got are good enough.

Maatta- Solid pickup, can go year to year with him and see how it fits.

Shaw- Good pickup, stepped his game up with Montreal, should be a big addition if he can stay on the ice.

DeHaan- Mistake IMO, he has two bum shoulders and a decent sized cap hit.

Lehner- Amazing acquisition

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

You can be slow but effective still. If you are sound positionally then you are fine. This is why Maatta is a solid defenseman. He has never been fast but he has always had a high hockey IQ and been really solid positionally. Maatta just needs to be paired with a partner that skates well. The Hawks can provide that.

Also let's not act like he wasn't really important to both of the Pens cup runs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So a 37pt rookie that is only gonna improve is now worthless? The people on these boards... lol

Who said he is worthless? Please show the post and we will both call them out on it.

Is he replaceable? Yes by Kubalik who has produced at higher rates at every pro level. Is there a risk? Sure but fixing part of our D and PK is well worth the risk of trading Kahun.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maatta- Solid pickup, can go year to year with him and see how it fits.

Shaw- Good pickup, stepped his game up with Montreal, should be a big addition if he can stay on the ice.

DeHaan- Mistake IMO, he has two bum shoulders and a decent sized cap hit.

Lehner- Amazing acquisition

Bum shoulders? Are you sure? Have you seen his medical records? Something tells me the Hawks had access to them before the trade and their doctors were confident in his prognosis going forward.

Also he costed basically nothing and we got a solid prospect back.

Reactions: hawksrule

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He was Pens cap dump and our GM overpaid for him

We are stuck with him for at least a year

This is not really accurate. Thanks for trying though.

The Pens needed space and no one was trading for Jack Johnson so JR had to trade an asset with value to clear space.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bum shoulders? Are you sure? Have you seen his medical records? Something tells me the Hawks had access to them before the trade and their doctors were confident in his prognosis going forward.

Look, I hope it works out. Reading about 3 surgeries on one, 1 on the other and the insurance company dropping him is worrisome.

We should have kept some powder dry for Gusev, Theodore or whoever else may become available.

What’s done is done though, move Anisimov for picks/prospects and they can make one more big move. So it’s not over yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Look, I hope it works out. Reading about 3 surgeries on one, 1 on the other and the insurance company dropping him is worrisome.

We should have kept some powder dry for Gusev, Theodore or whoever else may become available.

What’s done is done though, move Anisimov for picks/prospects and they can make one more big move. So it’s not over yet.

Which begs the question, considering the fact that so many teams were "cap strapped" did Stan jump the gun?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Which begs the question, considering the fact that so many teams were "cap strapped" did Stan jump the gun?

Yeah, I think he did. If anyone should have understood what opportunities may come due to the cap strapped teams, it’s him. The money was gone as soon as it became available.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I can’t imagine there’s any way Theodore is on the block. Vegas literally has 5 defensman under contract right now (including Theodore) and only 3 past next year. Not to mention Theodore is locked up on a good contract for 6 more years.

It would be stupid for Vegas to move Theodore outside of a massive overpayment.

Sometimes I wonder how you reach the conclusions you do.
I wonder why so many people respond to him at this point.

Reactions: Muffinalt

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018

Anyone who is following the news would have read that CDH is ahead in his rehab and is anticipating participation in training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad