Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta for Kahun and a 5th

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
It’s not meant to be negative. If that cap space could be used for a superior healthier player, everyone would prefer that. We’re not here to pom pom every move Stan makes and ignore reality.
If he wasn’t marginally more susceptible to injury, he would cost more and the Hawks couldn’t get him!

In addition, I’m hoping at least one of the Hawks d prospects makes a strong case for promotion with his AHL play to merit a promotion and to further beef up the Hawks d and make either Murphy or one of the summer UFA signings redundant anyway.

Reactions: bwana63

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If he wasn’t marginally more susceptible to injury, he would cost more and the Hawks couldn’t get him!

In addition, I’m hoping at least one of the Hawks d prospects makes a strong case for promotion with his AHL play to merit a promotion and to further beef up the Hawks d and make either Murphy or one of the summer UFA signings redundant anyway.

What are your expectations for this coming season as far as the finish goes?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It is hard to see the GF coming down with Kubalik playing and others, and having a better pk and goaltending tandem I see the GA DEFINITELY coming down. I see the Hawks as at least a 100 point team next year.

I’m bullish on them too, that’s why they should take advantage as much as possible this offseason. The moves have been good for for the most part. And it’s not over, it looks like they can significantly upgrade Anisimov.

P.S.- I skimmed over this Moriarty character from Sherlock Holmes on Wiki. Understand that I am not that person at my core as you suspected. I am a natural target of the most devious Moriarty’s and have been for quite some time. Shame on me if I never learned anything from that. Peace, love and happiness to you.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I’m bullish on them too, that’s why they should take advantage as much as possible this offseason. The moves have been good for for the most part. And it’s not over, it looks like they can significantly upgrade Anisimov.

P.S.- I skimmed over this Moriarty character from Sherlock Holmes on Wiki. Understand that I am not that person at my core as you suspected. I am a natural target of the most devious Moriarty’s and have been for quite some time. Shame on me if I never learned anything from that. Peace, love and happiness to you.
The Moriarity ref is to Kelly’s Heroes, not Sherlock Holmes. YouTube it.

Reactions: hockeydoug

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The Moriarity ref is to Kelly’s Heroes, not Sherlock Holmes. YouTube it.
Oddball!

tumblr_phsl1xqZpw1xkok61o1_400.gif

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Haha missing the Kelly’s Hero reference legit made me lol.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Jumped the gun? What if there was nobody available now while you wait or some eastern team tops our offer?
We'd be like the Knicks

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It’s not meant to be negative. If that cap space could be used for a superior healthier player, everyone would prefer that. We’re not here to pom pom every move Stan makes and ignore reality.
Yes ... that's why we got Maatta and de Haan at a discount. If healthy, it's moves that will have a huge long term impact. If not, Maatta's buyout is minimal and de Haan contract isn't prohibitive.

Reactions: BobbyJet

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yes ... that's why we got Maatta and de Haan at a discount. If healthy, it's moves that will have a huge long term impact. If not, Maatta's buyout is minimal and de Haan contract isn't prohibitive.

The de Haan cap hit is 4.55M. It was very risky to take him on and he’ll eat up a lot of cap space for the next 3 years. Hopefully he can stay healthy. If not, the Hawks are probably stuck with him.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
The de Haan cap hit is 4.55M. It was very risky to take him on and he’ll eat up a lot of cap space for the next 3 years. Hopefully he can stay healthy. If not, the Hawks are probably stuck with him.
Right now he is taking up about 5.5% of the cap space. That number is only going to get lower moving forward. I wouldn’t say he’ll be eating up a lot of cap space. With the young kids coming up through the system it becomes even less of a concern because they’ll be coming up to play still on their ELC’s.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Right now he is taking up about 5.5% of the cap space. That number is only going to get lower moving forward. I wouldn’t say he’ll be eating up a lot of cap space. With the young kids coming up through the system it becomes even less of a concern because they’ll be coming up to play still on their ELC’s.

I guess it depends how much slack you think we have. I apply your post and logic to the Seabrook cap hit. However, there isn’t any more slack to be had IMO. If the team is to make the playoffs and even contend, Stan needs to bat a thousand on the remaining cap space he spends IMO.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
No doubt that is a fine line but I'd feel a heck of a lot better if Stan didn't (jump in and) go for players with questionable health. Fingers are crossed, is all.
It's a risk Stan has been ok with. I don't see many top4/6 D moved with better contracts. All while giving up nothing of value (and I was the first Kahun fan here having seen him live 2 years before).

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
I guess it depends how much slack you think we have. I apply your post and logic to the Seabrook cap hit. However, there isn’t any more slack to be had IMO. If the team is to make the playoffs and even contend, Stan needs to bat a thousand on the remaining cap space he spends.
I’m failing to see how they are in cap trouble or how CDH contributes to it. This is the roster for all intents and purposes, I’m not sure what moves you’re expecting now.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’m failing to see how they are in cap trouble or how CDH contributes to it. This is the roster for all intents and purposes, I’m not sure what moves you’re expecting now.

Yeah, there isn’t much flexibility to acquire other players that may become available now. I’m saying the CDH move is one that he should have waited until later in the offseason to make. I don’t understand why there was so much urgency to acquire him when they did given his injury history.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Yeah, there isn’t much flexibility to acquire other players that may become available now. I’m saying the CDH move is one that he should have waited until later in the offseason to make. I don’t understand why there was so much urgency to acquire him when they did given his injury history.
If he wanted CDH specifically why would he wait?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Because maybe the Blackhawks know a bit more than me and you do about his injuries? From everything I’ve heard CDH is thinking he’s got a decent shot to be at camp.

He’s a top 4 defender who’s good in his own end. That’s exactly what we needed and we acquired him without giving up any valuable assets. You make that trade 11 times out of 10 if you feel even OK about his health. There’s no guarantee a trade close to this good would have been available had he waited.

Reactions: bwana63

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Yes, I don't think the cap hits will be much of concern. One of Shaw, Maata, or DeHaan will probably flop, but it won't be too difficult to get that out of the way. I like where they are at!

woof woof woof...that's my other dog impression.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I guess it depends how much slack you think we have. I apply your post and logic to the Seabrook cap hit. However, there isn’t any more slack to be had IMO. If the team is to make the playoffs and even contend, Stan needs to bat a thousand on the remaining cap space he spends IMO.
Let's all hope for a compliance buyout. That $6.8mn cap hit for what seems like a decade feels like a big wet poop on the middle of the ice.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad