Olli Maatta Appreciation Thread

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Decent player who could have been great if not for a historic run of bad medical luck. I'm glad he got his name on the cup twice; he was frustrating at times but he's a smart player who was electrifying before he lost his speed.

I think a lot of frustration came from unreal expectations. For where we took Olli, he was a great player and completely fufifilled his draft pedigree.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think a lot of frustration came from unreal expectations. For where we took Olli, he was a great player and completely fufifilled his draft pedigree.
He started off better than anyone realistically could have expected. The player now however is a far cry from that guy. I wish him well but I'm glad he's gone.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It really isn’t. People didn’t realize that Niskanen was the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing (myself included.)

Maatta dropped in the draft because of his skating.
Ollie was a bit more visible offensively also. His ability to aptly read the play was a huge positive. You can attribute some of his success to Niskanen, but OM was really ahead of the curve for his age. Excellent hockey IQ which accelerated his development to get into the league that early.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He just put up similar numbers to his rookie year last year.
My point was that is extremely rare a defensemen taken in the latter part of the first round has that sort of impact immediately. And since that time his game has regressed as the league has gotten faster.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
With a Tom Pyatt cameo!

He was so good his rookie year. I was solidly on the "this kid is the future of the team" hype train. He was awesome for Finland at the olympics that year too.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Will always have a soft spot for Maatta because we took him in the 1995 birth year (my birth year too) draft, that being 2012 draft. So it was crazy for a bit to have someone my age in the nhl and watching them get older as i do. I kinda hope he makes it back to the pens one day as a bottom pairing guy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I legit hope Maatta catches on in Chicago and becomes one of their go-to guys, and I think he will.

His only deficiency is skating, and yeah it's a big one, but I think on literally any other team that provides even a modicum of puck responsibility and back pressure from the forwards it won't be an issue. Most teams don't turn pucks over in dangerous areas and leave their blueliners out to dry like we have in the last few years. Hopefully he won't have to deal with some speed demon coming at him at Mach 1 while he's either standing still or moving up ice as much as he did here.

Seems like him and Jokiharju is a great match.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It really isn’t. People didn’t realize that Niskanen was the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing (myself included.)

Maatta dropped in the draft because of his skating.

His skating obviously got worse.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Bizarre. He was light years better in the 2017 playoffs. He would’ve been a healthy scratch if Daley didn’t go down in 2016. Part of that was the Orpik chicken wing, but outside of the Bobby Ryan Olli was our best D in that series.

Maybe I'm just remembering the 2016 run more fondly than I should but I just feel like that was a run where literally every player on our team was 100% doing their job and doing it well, even the guys who would have otherwise been scratches or whatever. Like even Zatkoff came in and got us going. It was the biggest team-based Cup I can recall for us.

Like yeah there was some of that in 2017 too and everyone pulled together nicely without Letang but my enduring memory of that run is mostly that we wouldn't have had a chance in hell but for Sid, Jake, Geno, and Maf/Murray. Everyone else did what they had to at times but we got so hard carried by our stars.

But 2016? That run had so many gigantic performances out of depth players.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I remember Maatta being ok in 2016 after he was scratched, he was carried by Letang a lot late that season and in 2017 after he got burnt by Ryan he was pretty good from then on, except when he got burnt by Aberg.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I honestly thought he was the next Niklas Lidstrom.

I was always careful to say the words "poor man's" beforehand...but his early days distinctly reminded me of a younger Lidstrom.

Of course the skating never got better, health problems took their toll (likely leading to the skating regressing rather than being worked on), and he was being asked to just do more with less in a system that underlined his flaws rather than hid them.

Regardless of what he ended up being I've never seen a teenage defenseman look so comfortable on the ice in a Penguins jersey...hence why his jersey is hanging in my closet.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With a Tom Pyatt cameo!

He was so good his rookie year. I was solidly on the "this kid is the future of the team" hype train. He was awesome for Finland at the olympics that year too.

They should go back to that goal song, I like that goal song more than party hard. I didn't realize they were still using that as of 2014.

Puck You Too

Apr 12, 2019
Maryland
Longest tenured Penguin after the Big 3. Cancer along with hip and shoulder injuries have pulled the life out of his last couple of years. I'm sad that it has come to this but you can't keep declining players, praying to a recovery. I hope he rebounds but I hope Kahun is better.

Now let's see GMJR find a home for Johnson.

Reactions: Koijari

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Got to meet Olli at a bar in Shadyside when the Pens were on a western road trip while he was injured (hand surgery, I think). Cool, friendly dude. Likes IPAs, doesn't care much for darker beers.

Sad to see my "buddy" go but I get why he was moved. I'm glad he's been able to have a successful career despite all the injuries and illnesses.

Best of luck in Chicago Olli!

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Like I have been saying.. with our D its all about fit. Our division got a ton faster, maattas weak spot was skating speed so occasionally he got exposed badly, but overall he was solid but in a way that didn’t fit the rest of our D

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
One thing he was really good at was velcroing people on wall.

Glad he got two Cups and can say he played a part in both. I always liked him, even before they drafted him. Definitely not fair what cancer/injuries did.

He was good at straightjacketing people everywhere. Nobody ever had a free stick in scoring position if Maatta was supposed to be marking him. Shame so many other things suffered with him after all those trips to IR.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Loved him as a rookie, absolutely loved him. Not all his fault that he is what he is now, but yeah he is what he is. Very good guy, very average player and worse skater.

That game 1 vs Islanders though, I will unfortunately remember that performance forever. Was one of the historical bad ones as a single Penguin. I had a wish after that game that hopefully I won´t ever see him in a Pens uniform again and I got it... Not that I feel so good about that now, Olli doesn´t deserve that hate. And he brought back a great value, so yeah.. Thanks Olli and wish him all the best and only the best in his hockey career and life.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1