Olli Maatta Appreciation Thread

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The speed with which it got posted was the true homage to Maatta all along.

I was going to make that joke, but decided to be positive. I was also going to post a bunch of highlights of injuries and turn overs. But, I always really liked this kid. Even despite his up and down play.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he does a lot beat in the Central give the lack of speed in that division.

Reactions: Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I was going to make that joke, but decided to be positive. I was also going to post a bunch of highlights of injuries and turn overs. But, I always really liked this kid. Even despite his up and down play.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he does a lot beat in the Central give the lack of speed in that division.
I wasn’t thinking about Maatta individually last night, but more how, 5-6 years ago we would argue over which of our d prospects would be HoFers. Now all but Dumo are gone. Quite the fall.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wasn’t thinking about Maatta individually last night, but more how, 5-6 years ago we would argue over which of our d prospects would be HoFers. Now all but Dumo are gone. Quite the fall.

Quite the fall, but we won two cups so honestly who gives a shit. It’s crazy to me that the Staal trade could still provide dividends if this Kuhan clicks in a top nine role.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Olli really got screwed up with medical issues. I still believe that he was on track to be a top pairing guy. With that said there's no arguing with what he is now.

For whatever it's worth he seems like a good guy from media accounts, so best of luck to him.

Reactions: orby and wizmet12

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He reeled in the Big Kahuna...and that’s all that Maattas...

Thanks for everything Olli...I’d say god speed but that’s probably not the right expression for you...good luck to you in Chi town!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Quite the fall, but we won two cups so honestly who gives a ****. It’s crazy to me that the Staal trade could still provide dividends if this Kuhan clicks in a top nine role.

Maatta wasnt apart of that.

I can definitely see him turning it around in Chicago tho. He had to leave here...wasnt going to happen with us. Started to affect him mentally which was a strong part of his game. A new start is exactly what he needed and in a conference where speed isnt as big of an issue.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm biased in favor of Finns, but I'll always love Olli. Those medical issues and deep playoff runs really destroyed any chance he had of improving his skating (last off-season was the first 'normal' one of his professional career), but I still think he'd have been more than fine had we not watered the defense down with other similarly paid players who are both older and worse than Olli.

Olli, at 24 with 2 rings, could still be dealt and return something...compared with having to pay assets just to get rid of guys who were acquired less than a year ago. I hate that he has to be the one cast off so we can keep literal garbage, but it is what it is. Another year in this system with garbage partners would have likely only exacerbated this problem. I wouldn't be surprised if he flourishes elsewhere, though I don't know if Chicago was exactly the ideal destination for him either.

Quite the fall, but we won two cups so honestly who gives a ****. It’s crazy to me that the Staal trade could still provide dividends if this Kuhan clicks in a top nine role.

We picked Pouliot with the traded pick, Määttä was taken with our 1st rounder. A new trade tree has been planted.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Always one of my favourites (though he made it hard these last couple of years). Thought he was going to be a top pairing stud after such a great rookie season, hopefully he can get things back on track in Chicago.

Reactions: wizmet12 and Peat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is similar to Sheary. I understand it. I wish his career would have progressed as we all thought it would. But don't think for a second the team won't miss guys like Sheary/Maatta. But I completely understand the next era of Pens defense and we are only part of the way there to the overhaul.

I wish Olli nothing but the damn best.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is similar to Sheary. I understand it. I wish his career would have progressed as we all thought it would. But don't think for a second the team won't miss guys like Sheary/Maatta. But I completely understand the next era of Pens defense and we are only part of the way there to the overhaul.

I wish Olli nothing but the damn best.

I have always maintained people underestimated what Maatta did for us; just a shame that the weakest part of the game was the one our system exposed most. Yet he was *still* effective for us most of the time even with that.

There was a tweet from Jesse I wanted to find of Maatta perfectly snuffing out a wraparound effort that I wanted to find and post but couldn't see it. Might have another look tomorrow.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have always maintained people underestimated what Maatta did for us; just a shame that the weakest part of the game was the one our system exposed most. Yet he was *still* effective for us most of the time even with that.

There was a tweet from Jesse I wanted to find of Maatta perfectly snuffing out a wraparound effort that I wanted to find and post but couldn't see it. Might have another look tomorrow.

This unfortunately is the JJ problem. If Olli is our worst dman at his age/cost... we are in a good position. But nooooo we have to figure out a way to make JJ the worst. So he's out, understandably for the money. It just sucks. The JJ pick up is driving me nuts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This unfortunately is the JJ problem. If Olli is our worst dman at his age/cost... we are in a good position. But nooooo we have to figure out a way to make JJ the worst. So he's out, understandably for the money. It just sucks. The JJ pick up is driving me nuts.

Well, here's hoping that Rutherford has a few more tricks left to show us this summer.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
One thing he was really good at was velcroing people on wall.

Glad he got two Cups and can say he played a part in both. I always liked him, even before they drafted him. Definitely not fair what cancer/injuries did.

Reactions: Peat

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought he was really solid in the first Cup run. A little less so in the second (that Bobby Ryan Ot goal) but he was still a contributor.

He's a nice kid and I wish him nothing but the best.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I thought he was really solid in the first Cup run. A little less so in the second (that Bobby Ryan Ot goal) but he was still a contributor.

He's a nice kid and I wish him nothing but the best.

Bizarre. He was light years better in the 2017 playoffs. He would’ve been a healthy scratch if Daley didn’t go down in 2016. Part of that was the Orpik chicken wing, but outside of the Bobby Ryan Olli was our best D in that series.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Decent player who could have been great if not for a historic run of bad medical luck. I'm glad he got his name on the cup twice; he was frustrating at times but he's a smart player who was electrifying before he lost his speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad