Olli Määttä out for the season

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
No they're not. Those 4 are bunch of scrubs, Maatta is easily our best defenseman and one of the top 5 d-man in the league.

I wouldn't call them scrubs (and I also wouldn't call Maatta a top 5 dman...), but yea, I think that blueline is a major weakness right now when comparing it to most contenders around the league.

Not to mention MAF, despite his success this season, has struggled significantly during the majority of the past 5 years of playoff series that he's been in.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Damn... that's got to be a concern. Hope he recovers alright. Nothing sucks more than when a promising career is derailed by injuries.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Big blow for the Pens. Hopefully whomever they have do the surgery doesn't **** it up this time. Apparently the reason it's taken so long since Maatta's been out is he kept on wanting to look for 2nd opinions/options since he didn't want to believe his season was over.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Big blow for the Pens. Hopefully whomever they have do the surgery doesn't **** it up this time. Apparently the reason it's taken so long since Maatta's been out is he kept on wanting to look for 2nd opinions/options since he didn't want to believe his season was over.
Yeah he really wanted to play. I've heard a lot good about him and how he has trained.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The Pens' star players have a knack for battling career threatening injuries way too early in their careers.

• Crosby may be the world's best player, but it's fair to wonder whether losing a year to concussions derailed him from the dominant trail he was blazing beginning in 2010.

• Malkin, IMHO, despite being a beast, lost a dimension of his game thanks to recurring shoulder problems. That's not even mentioning his ACL/MCL.
  • Letang is an injury nightmare, with the concussion history probably being the most troubling.
Our would be "next generation" of stars isn't any luckier:

• Maatta is facing a second major shoulder surgery in 12 months, not to mention combating a cancerous tumor. Oh yeah, he's 20.
  • Bennett's career hasn't gotten off the ground thanks to a litany of the world's most obscure injuries.
Key veteran pieces haven't been any safer, either:

• Hornqvist, after being a virtual iron man his entire career, has suddenly battled both concussions and broken bones in his first 60 days as a Penguin.

• Vokoun had to hang them up thanks to a career ending blood clot
  • Dupuis is likely on the same path.
You know what was also fun? Losing half a dozen players to the mumps. How messed up is it that I would breathe a sigh of relief if one of our star players went down to a broken leg, if for no other reason than it would be a "better" injury than 90% of the ones that have befallen the team lately.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
If 'fortune' typically evens out over time then I fully expect Maatta to 'good furtune' his way to a Norris trophy next year.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I see this more of a blessing in disguise, he can focus on recovering from his cancer all year now, proper care.

Good point.

Also, I think he's just getting all his major injuries and ailments out of the way at the beginning of his career. After this season he'll become an ironman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad