Olli Määttä out for the season

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What a horrible season for him. Mumps, cancer and now he goes shoulder surgery on Wednesday.

Feel bad for him.

Actually he's season has been like this.

Off-Season shoulder surgery of which he came back from rather quickly.
Diagnosed with a tumor on his Thyroid, later found out it was Cancerous.
He then was diagnosed with the Mumps.
Then he hurts his shoulder, works hard and is close but then is told to shut it down because he needs to rehabilitate it more or need surgery, he elects surgery, done for the year.

The kid has gone through a lot this year, but he's one of those guys that doesn't let it get him down, he just sees it as things he has to deal with and move forward, the guy is such a level headed and calm young man.

Nothing but respect to Olli Maatta and I am glad he's a Penguin, he'll be back next year, stronger and healthier.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
poor kid. in a span of a few months he has had to deal with cancer, mumps, and two shoulder surgeries.

i guess all this bad luck counteracts his earlier ridiculously good luck(making the nhl, meteoric rookie season, olympic bronze)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I see this more of a blessing in disguise, he can focus on recovering from his cancer all year now, proper care.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I see this more of a blessing in disguise, he can focus on recovering from his cancer all year now, proper care.

I don't think you understand his "cancer" that he had. It was a tumor that was cancerous on his Thyroid gland (still very serious, very serious). It was removed, this was after his first shoulder surgery in the off season (Pouliot also had one at the same time, or around it) and then he comes back very early from his Thyroid/Cancerous Tumor surgery and he gets the mumps, he returns from that and injures his shoulder and now it requires surgery.

Yeah, the one thing you are right about is that it is a blessing in disguise. For how mentally tough that kid is and my goodness is he mentally tough, this is a good thing for a young player in the sense that he can now fully process the year he's had so far and just be happy that he's healthy and recovering and it's all fixable and something he can move on from.

The funny thing is and I guess there's some humor in this, is that Beau Bennett is a guy we all joke about for injuries, but he now seems like nothing compared to the stuff Maatta has endured this year.

Beau's wrist injuries/surgeries, mumps, his knee, etc. Seems like minor things now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hope he recovers fully and quickly. A really good young player that I hope we see a lot of in the coming years.

Ralphy*

Wait a minute, there is another player who had cancer then a shoulder injury...

Remember that Phil Kessel guy? He had cancer followed a by a shoulder injury!
He then proceeded to never miss a game since coming back from that shoulder injury.

Is Olli Phil 2.0?
I think you know the answer.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Tumor was removed, he most likely will have to be on Levothyroxine for the remainder of his life and be under periodic control to monitor any possible re-growth. It is not like he needs to recover from this.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Good luck to Maatta dealing with all of those issues, the cancer in particular.

That's a huge blow to Pittsburgh though. Last year in the NHL and at the Olympics, he demonstrated that he has the potential to be an elite all-around dman, something the Pens don't have. Are Letang/Ehrhoff/Martin/Despres/etc a good enough core group of dmen to win with in this league?

Nei1ey*

Good luck to Maatta dealing with all of those issues, the cancer in particular.

That's a huge blow to Pittsburgh though. Last year in the NHL and at the Olympics, he demonstrated that he has the potential to be an elite all-around dman, something the Pens don't have. Are Letang/Ehrhoff/Martin/Despres/etc a good enough core group of dmen to win with in this league?

No they're not. Those 4 are bunch of scrubs, Maatta is easily our best defenseman and one of the top 5 d-man in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->