Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VII | "Not A Tkachuk Thread" Edition | WJC postmortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Not a surprise.

Claims after being drafted he is the top dman in draft in a borderline cocky fashion.

Then gets outplayed (most of the time) on his junior team in his d1 by a 4th round pick.

Looks horrible at his d2 pro training camp.

Gets back to his home country to play (in what the 4th or 5th most competitive league?) and his coach/ex canuck says something along the lines of 'if he wants to make nhl he needs to work on his defensive play'. He has since backtracked to say he will make NHL but I'm sure that was Linden making the phone call to his old friend as to improve the optics.

And now he is a scratch during this period when apparently he has been doing so well. Everyone talking about how he for sure is a top 4 d bc he scoring at .59 ppg in Liiga. Yet this dman that has never been a big point producer needs to work on his defensive play. If that's not a sign there is a massive problem not sure what is.

Plus he's shown to be borderline arrogant/cocky - which is great if you back it up. Not if your compete level is called out repeatedly at every level of competition. Being cocky and having a terrible compete level must be one of the worst character combinations to have as a pro athlete?

Could this be why certain prospects like Horvat, who's compete level and maturity are never called into question but praised seem to evolve and get better as players? Oh- his skating could hold him back, he didn't make the team and he want back to junior - so he works at it and surprise surprise has been getting better and better.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that our prospects who's character are raved about (Horvat and Boeser) are both improving and doing amazing as pros... while Olli and Jake (who both may be great human beings) who's maturity have been called into question are floundering, relative to their draft position.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I remain hopeful that OJ will become a useful NHL player.

But as of this moment, he's not trending in a direction that instills a lot of confidence in us.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
For all we know he showed up with a hangover or something, or he's trying to do too much and not following the plan, and the coach is giving the healthy scratch treatment. It's not good but it isn't bad either, Willie scratched Beartschi and he came back better for it. Sometimes people just need a kick in the butt.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Ju0 has now been scratched for TPS Turku. Is this the ending of the Juolevi defender saga? Is there any way people can say they'd rather have him over Sergachev? Olli's not even in the SHL.

This is like a joke right like wtf how did Bennidiot think this somehow was a good idea taking this career health scratch over Tkachuck Serg and Keller who are already EXCELLENT NHL players well ours top 5 pick cant even play in his inferior backwoods European league :rant: :rant:

Im just so about to give up with this team now with the Gudbranson news is like a horrifying NITHGMARE come frickin true :cry:

Reactions: vancityluongo

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
oh come on, you know it’s gonna be the best post you’ll see all day.
You are correct, it was the best post I saw all day. Well worth the wait :nod:
Well intensity and maturity can be gained, maybe OJ will blossom later. Its a fixable problem IMO. Its better that than having bad hockey IQ for example. I think it will take time, but I still think OJ can be at least a #4/#5 Dman in the NHL eventually.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How the hell do you botch a 5 and 6 overall pick in 3 years?? That’s actually hard to do.

Set us back 4-5 years I’d say. A couple different picks and imagine how we would look this year.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You are correct, it was the best post I saw all day. Well worth the wait :nod:
Well intensity and maturity can be gained, maybe OJ will blossom later. Its a fixable problem IMO. Its better that than having bad hockey IQ for example. I think it will take time, but I still think OJ can be at least a #4/#5 Dman in the NHL eventually.

Ya it’s weird, I’m not a Juolevi fan at all but I’m not really bothered by this news either. It happens with young players and can even help get them when their game starts to lose focus. I still see him as the same eventual 2nd pairing guy regardless.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Ya it’s weird, I’m not a Juolevi fan at all but I’m not really bothered by this news either. It happens with young players and can even help get them when their game starts to lose focus. I still see him as the same eventual 2nd pairing guy regardless.

Same boat. Changes very little.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Some large overreactions in here...he's played good/great for 95% of this season (poor training camp, and last 2 liiga games), and is tracking towards being a top 4 D. His play these last 2 games - before the scratching - were deserving of being sat, so he keeps his level of play up. Let's see how he does on Thursday, and not forget all the good development that has happened so far this season.

Be calm friends, concerned sure, but calm.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Some large overreactions in here...he's played good/great for 95% of this season (poor training camp, and last 2 liiga games), and is tracking towards being a top 4 D. His play these last 2 games - before the scratching - were deserving of being sat, so he keeps his level of play up. Let's see how he does on Thursday, and not forget all the good development that has happened so far this season.

Be calm friends, concerned sure, but calm.

We have no choice to try to be patient but he looks very inferior to McAvoy and Sergachev, not to mention Tkachuk and Keller.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
We have no choice to try to be patient but he looks very inferior to McAvoy and Sergachev, not to mention Tkachuk and Keller.

I agree, but this season has been incouraging for me, and I feel he'll still be a very solid NHL D. Not a bust (far from it), but deffinatly the wrong pick ( I wanted Serg/Tkachuk over Olli).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah I feel the same way. If this happens over and over again then we should ring the alarm bells.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
A few different posters have called Juolevi cocky and arrogant.

I haven't followed Juolevi much since I hated the pick. Can someone fill me in on why he comes across as cocky and arrogant?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
A few different posters have called Juolevi cocky and arrogant.

I haven't followed Juolevi much since I hated the pick. Can someone fill me in on why he comes across as cocky and arrogant?
O yeah its true

And for no good reason as hes heading towards Bustville...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Is there a decent english language site to keep up to date with the Finnish league? I can muddle my way through most Swedish sites with google translate, but Finnish is kind of bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad