Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VII | "Not A Tkachuk Thread" Edition | WJC postmortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
If he makes it and plays well, opinions will change. People don't hate Boeser because he's a Benning pick and many wanted Konecny over him. Your act is getting tiresome.

Except for the fact it had nothing to do with who drafted him, more that once a player gets in the doghouse it takes awhile for him to remove that label.

I shouldn't have replied to a black and white statement like that anyways.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Except for the fact it had nothing to do with who drafted him, more that once a player gets in the doghouse it takes awhile for him to remove that label.

Bottom line is that when players perform well, they will be praised by this board. Baertschi changed a lot of minds. Granlund proved himself to be exactly what a lot of people thought he was. What other players have undeserving of being in the doghouse? Sbisa? Larsen? Gudbranson? Dowd? Virtanen?

I would argue all of those players have themselves with their play given ample reasons to be criticized.

Last edited by a moderator:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is it safe to say if Juolevi doesn't crack the NHL roster next year that he was the wrong pick, no questions asked?

I would not mind seeing spend at least half the season im the AHL to get re accustomed to NA rink.

Having our young core marinate and grow together in Utica next year would not be a bad thing.

Juolevi Lind Gadjovich Dahlen Gaudette

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He did play his junior years in NA on the smaller rink, so hopefully the transition back won't be too difficult

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

More like, once a prospect starts trending downwards and players picked after them are performing significantly better, they are not as popular of a prospect and people question their draft position. As the GM trades away draft picks, and misses on more top 6 picks than he hits on, more attention gets drawn to his failures.

You can say 'it has nothing to do with gm' but having him as a Canucks prospect is the result of the Canucks GM and not having better prospects than him, is the direct result of the Canucks GM.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Bottom line is that when players perform well, they will be praised by this board. Baertschi changed a lot of minds. Granlund proved himself to be exactly what a lot of people thought he was. What other players have undeserving of being in the doghouse? Sbisa? Larsen? Gudbranson? Dowd? Virtanen?

I would argue all of those players have themselves with their play given ample reasons to be criticized.
We as a fan base have been hypercritical at times going back well beyond Benning etc(not something that is unique to canucks fans)...that's basically all I meant, read into whatever you want the issue is complete with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is it safe to say if Juolevi doesn't crack the NHL roster next year that he was the wrong pick, no questions asked?

i don't think so.

juolevi will be 20 next september.

he is not yet testing the upper limits of how long a tall skinny defensive prospect with high iq can percolate in scandihoovia before becoming a highly successful nhl defencemen

lidstrom entered the nhl a year older at 21. he promptly segued from 23 points in 38 games in his third sel season to 60 points in 80 nhl games as a rookie.

salo entered the nhl at 24, after 4 liiga seasons.

lumme was 22 and came over after 3 liiga seasons

ohlund was 21, after 3 sel seasons.

you can quibble i suppose that the delay and inroads on an elc that results from it have a cost that offsets his eventual nhl career to some degree, but i think it depends on who juolevi is when he grows up. which we won't know until he gets here.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i don't think so.

juolevi will be 20 next september.

he is not yet testing the upper limits of how long a tall skinny defensive prospect with high iq can percolate in scandihoovia before becoming a highly successful nhl defencemen

lidstrom entered the nhl a year older at 21. he promptly segued from 23 points in 38 games in his third sel season to 60 points in 80 nhl games as a rookie.

salo entered the nhl at 24, after 4 liiga seasons.

lumme was 22 and came over after 3 liiga seasons

ohlund was 21, after 3 sel seasons.

you can quibble i suppose that the delay and inroads on an elc that results from it have a cost that offsets his eventual nhl career to some degree, but i think it depends on who juolevi is when he grows up. which we won't know until he gets here.
i agree with what you are saying but the biggest contention seems to be that he is a 5th pick and should transition quicker.

I could care less as long as by 22-23 he's looking like a top pair defensemn or trending that way. I prefer to draft for top end ability more than NHL readiness

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i agree with what you are saying but the biggest contention seems to be that he is a 5th pick and should transition quicker.

I could care less as long as by 22-23 he's looking like a top pair defensemn or trending that way.

yup. if he's not playing in the nhl by 20 like jared cowan, then he's probably a bust. stats don't lie.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I see Juolevi becoming a 2-3 Dman. Not great in value for a 5th overall pick, but still very very useful.

I just hope people can move on from constantly comparing and bringing up Tkachuk and company... eventually (although I don't have high hopes for this, cause... reality).

Juolevi sadly isn't a player you build a blue line around but he is a perfect 2nd piece of the puzzle.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I see Juolevi becoming a 2-3 Dman. Not great in value for a 5th overall pick, but still very very useful.

I just hope people can move on from constantly comparing and bringing up Tkachuk and company... eventually (although I don't have high hopes for this, cause... reality).

Juolevi sadly isn't a player you build a blue line around but he is a perfect 2nd piece of the puzzle.
Maybe a Dan Hamhuis type player?
I'd like to see him in camp next year to see how much of a step he's taken. By all accounts he is improving over in Finland.
Still too early to say what he ends up, IMO.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Maybe a Dan Hamhuis type player?
I'd like to see him in camp next year to see how much of a step he's taken. By all accounts he is improving over in Finland.

Yes, that's the player he needs to model his game after. Not overly physical but can still throw the odd hit. Plays smart and puts up points because of smart plays as opposed to pure offensive instincts.

Reactions: vanwest

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yes, that's the player he needs to model his game after. Not overly physical but can still throw the odd hit. Plays smart and puts up points because of smart plays as opposed to pure offensive instincts.

dan stagnated in junior his d+1 season and then played 2 years in the ahl. so he must be the wrong pick. better for juolevi to model his game on mike komisarek from that draft year, who nearly doubled his point output d+1 then made the nhl at 20. that's what you want to see.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
dan stagnated in junior his d+1 season and then played 2 years in the ahl. so he must be the wrong pick. better for juolevi to model his game on mike komisarek from that draft year, who nearly doubled his point output d+1 then made the nhl at 20. that's what you want to see.

Throw how Hamhuis developed out he window. When I said model his game after, I'm talking at a players peak. If Juolevi becomes a Hamhuis type 2-3 Dman that's going to help the Canucks immensely.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Hamhuis played his D+1 in WHL, D+2 in AHL, then D+3 the entire season in the NHL.

The second AHL season was during the lockout following his full NHL season lol

Do you think twisting facts to suit a narrative is a good practice, on the whole?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
27pts in 68 games next year in Utica would be on par with Hamhuis' development path. I think O.J. is up for it

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
No Hamhuis in his 1st professional eligible season at 20 was in the AHL like I said. He has a late birthday.
What was incorrect about my statement? Hamhuis played in the NHL and was a top 4 defender in his draft + 3 season, and played full time in the AHL in his draft + 2 season.

Juolevi is playing professional hockey right now in a men's league in his draft + 2 season in Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad