Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I mean, Erik Gudbranson, for example, is 26 and basically has established a place in the league based on the continued perception of potential from his draft position, and the fact that he looks like a good defenseman.
He did have one pretty respectable season in his final season as a Panther. He could be still a respectable journeyman defenseman in this league - he just can't carry a pairing.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He did have one pretty respectable season in his final season as a Panther. He could be still a respectable journeyman defenseman in this league - he just can't carry a pairing.

Yes, for sure, but there are probably ten 28 year olds in the American League who could also do that for much cheaper. Gudbranson has heightened value because he teases potential, and he has the pedigree to convince people that he’ll put it all together, when in reality he is a middle-aged bottom-of-your-roster player.

Similarly, Juolevi, in a non-absurd worst case, ought to hang around for at least a few years because he teases potential, has the pedigree, and has the “if he has a good summer of training, he’ll really come into his own” storyline already built-in.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Encouraging. I wonder how JD Burke weighted Liiga in his ranking? Nevertheless, positive data on Juolevi is most welcome. Number 5 on the list no less.

The rankings are from Emmanuel Perry's new prospect ranking model. You can play with it here: Prospects and Draft

His ranking amongst prospects reflects the fact that defencemen get a bump in his model - defenders have more value per projected WAR than forwards.

Juolevi's value is derived from his high probability of making it, which is third amongst defenders. His projected WAR/82 is seventh, between Ty Smith and Erik Brannstrom.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Juolevi is 20 people not 22 or 23. Shea Weber only played 28 games at 20 and he turned out OK. Not comparing two but just saying he still has time and is headed right direction. I hope he sees some time in show this year for last 20-30 games after getting back in shape from the back surgery.
Altho i appreciate your point, Weber is overrated

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Knock off the crap in here.

This forum is not conspiracy theory friendly. Do not accuse people of being astro-turfers. It's a lazy as hell way of delegitimizing their point of view.

Reactions: lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

maybe he just needs to find a 5' 10" 175 lb defence partner who skates like the wind again, and he can be a 4d.

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The future of the Vancouver Canucks won't really be about the young guys in the Canucks lineup this season, it'll be about Utica and Juolevi figures to be big part of it in the early going. When you break down this Canuck lineup the long-term 'keepers' don't extend much beyond Horvat, Boesser and Pettersson, assuming he makes it. In all probability Demko starts the season with the Comets again, and Hughes is 50/50 heading to school.

So in Utica you're probably watching Dahlen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, Demko, Palmu, Jasek and MacEwen as future Canuck forwards....and on the blueline Juolevi, Brisebois and Chatfield, with Demko between the pipes. This is a big year for them in Utica, and frankly more important to the future of the Canucks than whatever happens up top in what is likely to be another slow slog to a high lottery pick again next April.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Top 4? If he’s not a top pairing guy we lost. He was the highest drafted defensman in 2016. He should be top pairing. Sergachev went as the next Dman, and went 9th.

Higher your expectations, the whole organization needs to. Start thinking like winners or we will always be losers.

disagreed. If he becomes a solid top 4 for us its still a solid pick, like a Lindholm level dman 25 points is a good pick. If he plays 0 nhl games ok then we riot together, I promise.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Lol if he becomes Lindholm, it's a homerun and I'll let Jimbo eat my lunch. But what does Lindholm have to do with "a solid top 4"?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
OK then Let’s do a little experiment shall we. Let’s do a search for all the times the word bust was thrown around in these Olli Juolevi threads. You think we’ll get zero hits?
I literally did this just last season – but the entire Canuck forum, not just this thread – and it was exactly as @RobertKron describes here:
I would not be surprised if the word bust has been used more in posts complaining about people calling Juolevi a bust than it has in posts declaring him an outright bust.
There was exactly ONE post by @y2kcanucks suggesting that Juolevi was "trending toward a bust" – observing his trajectory, not even calling him one – and every single other post was either done ironically or complaining about people supposedly calling him a bust.

Now a lot of time has passed since then and there were frankly plenty of unencouraging signs along the way (him still being near the top on a prospect list is a double-edged sword – remember that most of his peers have already made the NHL at this point so they obviously don't appear on that list), so there may now be more. But suggestions that he was the wrong pick or has made disappointing progress does not equal, and I can't stress this enough, saying that he is a "bust" (which is someone who doesn't make the NHL, by the way).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Lol if he becomes Lindholm, it's a homerun and I'll let Jimbo eat my lunch. But what does Lindholm have to do with "a solid top 4"?

because mr.pessimistic is saying he needs to be better then Serg at all costs or else its a loss, which is something I strongly disagree with.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I mean, Erik Gudbranson, for example, is 26 and basically has established a place in the league based on the continued perception of potential from his draft position, and the fact that he looks like a good defenseman.

Its crazy he's making 4 million a year from just his draft position. He's literally not had one year to justify that money.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
because mr.pessimistic is saying he needs to be better then Serg at all costs or else its a loss, which is something I strongly disagree with.

Lindholm is much better than a "solid top 4". If Juolevi reaches that level, I am pretty sure nobody will complain about him ever again.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
If Juolevi were to turn into a Hampus Lindholm type, I think everyone would quiet down about Tkachuk.

I can still see OJ turning into a 20+min a night, 30+pts dman. But Lindholm is stupid good at shot suppression, and I don't think OJ will ever be elite in his own end.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If he turns out like Hampus Lindholm I'd be thinking long and hard about taking him over Laine in a re-draft.

At this point I'd be happy (relative to his development curve, not his draft position) if he turned into a stellar defensive 3D like Dumoulin.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If he turns out like Hampus Lindholm I'd be thinking long and hard about taking him over Laine in a re-draft.

At this point I'd be happy (relative to his development curve, not his draft position) if he turned into a stellar defensive 3D like Dumoulin.
No you wouldn't :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad