Player Discussion Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think there's two separate points to be made here

1. there's certain information that people ITK are privy to that we aren't as fans. i didn't think the ferland contract was that bad in a vacuum but i wouldn't have signed that contract if doctors weren't even willing to insure it. we didn't know that until he couldn't play and then the reports surfaced that it was uninsured. seems people ITK, except on the canucks, thought OEL's knee was shot and he was toast. he lasted about 40-50 games playing at a decent level last season but fell off a cliff at the end and has continued to be shit this season.

2. i actually don't think the canucks methodology of targeting players with term in exchange for bad short term inefficiencies was a bad idea given the constraints set upon you by a shitty path of having to be competitive each year. i think my suggestion in the 2021 summer was someone like voracek. it would obviously have to be at a justifiable cost.

hell you've seen the hurricanes do it this year with brent burns. they got a far better player than OEL (an actual good one) and the sharks retained Burns from 8 to 5.3. He's playing 24 minutes a night. They gave up a 3rd round pick for 24 minutes a night 0.6 ppg at a 5.3 cap hit.

Reactions: platotld

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
E014-C9-B3-CB4-D-41-F5-B732-4043297-F5-EF0.jpg
When your new boss gives you nightmares
CC6-BFC72-2059-4-B5-B-B7-BD-041-E45364-A86.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think there's two separate points to be made here

1. there's certain information that people ITK are privy to that we aren't as fans. i didn't think the ferland contract was that bad in a vacuum but i wouldn't have signed that contract if doctors weren't even willing to insure it. we didn't know that until he couldn't play and then the reports surfaced that it was uninsured. seems people ITK, except on the canucks, thought OEL's knee was shot and he was toast. he lasted about 40-50 games playing at a decent level last season but fell off a cliff at the end and has continued to be shit this season.

2. i actually don't think the canucks methodology of targeting players with term in exchange for bad short term inefficiencies was a bad idea given the constraints set upon you by a shitty path of having to be competitive each year. i think my suggestion in the 2021 summer was someone like voracek. it would obviously have to be at a justifiable cost.

hell you've seen the hurricanes do it this year with brent burns. they got a far better player than OEL (an actual good one) and the sharks retained Burns from 8 to 5.3. He's playing 24 minutes a night. They gave up a 3rd round pick for 24 minutes a night 0.6 ppg at a 5.3 cap hit.

Just adding to this. I wish the whole "Ferland's contract was not insured" talking point doesn't keep getting repeated here. NHL teams typically insure between 4 to 6 contracts and can only do so up to 80% of the contract's value. Teams typically insure the $$$ long term contracts for obvious reasons. Teams can also insure contracts with exclusions for pre-existing injuries. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Edler's contract was insured but not against a career-ending back injury.

The Canucks are not a small market team. Say what you will about Aquilini, he's been willing to shell out money for things like the mind room, fired Gillis who reportedly had $8M left on his contract and Torts who had $6M left, and he's been willing to pay massive signing bonuses (just look at Eriksson's contract).

Ferland's contract, after the signing bonus was paid, was worth $12M. Had they insured Ferland's contract the risk difference was $9.6M spread out over 4 years. That's $2.4M a year difference between being able to insure Ferland's contract and not being able to do so. In comparison, at the time Columbus traded Horton, he had more than $26M left on his contract. People forget that Ferland was a relatively young guy. He's now in the last year of his deal and he doesn't turn 31 until April.

To your second point, I agree. Moving Eriksson's, Roussel, and Beagle's contract would cost a 1st and a 2nd at minimum. The bet was that we get a competent top 4 Dman out of the deal. We had that for one season so far. The way Burns' career turned out still surprises me.

Reactions: Peen

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Just spitballing here:

Wouldn't it make sense to wait a couple years then trade him to a rebuilding team for them to buy him out?

1674774193356.png

The cost to the other team would be 7M real money total, and cap hit of about 4M, 4M, 1.5M, 1.5M

What would that cost? A 1st and a 3rd maybe? Or perhaps less if we take some money back.

The problem with us buying him out is that this management team is probably looking to push in those two years that the penalty is 4M+. As much as it would suck to throw away more picks, I don't know how this retool will work if you have the carcass of OEL on your roster @ 7.2M in 2025 and beyond.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
can vancouver just buyout OEL end of this year and get it over with? hes done. cant skate cant make decisions quick enough.
They can.

But would it make sense?

The net gain is 9mil in cap space over the duration of the cap penalty.

Does that 9mil help us compete before his cap hit is off the books anyways?

Reactions: Nucker101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's kind of interesting that the Bruins have been interested in some "key" Canucks' acquisitions over the years. The Bruins wanted to re-sign Eriksson, they were rumoured to be interested in Ferland, and they were one of the teams that wanted to acquire OEL.

Back to OEL, I actually hope OEL is shut down for the season and just focus on getting healthy and better next season.

Reactions: oceanchild

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's kind of interesting that the Bruins have been interested in some "key" Canucks' acquisitions over the years. The Bruins wanted to re-sign Eriksson, they were rumoured to be interested in Ferland, and they were one of the teams that wanted to acquire OEL.

Back to OEL, I actually hope OEL is shut down for the season and just focus on getting healthy and better next season.
That horse has left the barn.....he isn't going to get any heathier and he won't be better next season. In fact there's ample reason to believe he'll be even worse.

Unfortunately it looks to me like he's in the twilight of his career, and he's still owed $8m a year for the next four years. For the Canucks it's about as ugly as it can get from a cap perspective. A parting gift from the worst GM in franchise history.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
That horse has left the barn.....he isn't going to get any heathier and he won't be better next season. In fact there's ample reason to believe he'll be even worse.

Unfortunately it looks to me like he's in the twilight of his career, and he's still owed $8m a year for the next four years. For the Canucks it's about as ugly as it can get from a cap perspective. A parting gift from the worst GM in franchise history.
Looks like he may be in line for long term injury reserve leading him to retirement.

• Love
Reactions: arttk and DekeyPete

Nov 1, 2011
They can.

But would it make sense?

The net gain is 9mil in cap space over the duration of the cap penalty.

Does that 9mil help us compete before his cap hit is off the books anyways?

Agree with you.

Just let the contract run its course.

Maybe send him to Costa Rica to get stem cells shot into his knee to make the best of it.

Reactions: MarkMM

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just pretending to show interest to get Jim all riled up, then laughed afterwards when he overpaid for "his guys"

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just pretending to show interest to get Jim all riled up, then laughed afterwards when he overpaid for "his guys"

It's not hard to see Jim and Frankie giggling in a corner thinking they got one up the Bruins by finding out their secret plans.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'dream scenario' for the Canucks is that OEL lands on LTIR for an extended stint like Michael Ferland, before him.

But the sobering reality is that OEL and his contract will slowly sink in the west, and he morphs into the most expensive depth defenseman in NHL history.

In a way it's sad......at one time OEL was legitimately one of the top four or five d-men in the entire league. But his body just isn't allowing him to play the way I know he wishes he could play.

Too many minutes and too many cumulative injuries on a bad Coyotes team. And of interest, his coach for most of those seasons was none other than Rick Tocchet. Makes you wonder if they'll be able to co-exist in Vancouver.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The 'dream scenario' for the Canucks is that OEL lands on LTIR for an extended stint like Michael Ferland, before him.

But the sobering reality is that OEL and his contract will slowly sink in the west, and he morphs into the most expensive depth defenseman in NHL history.

In a way it's sad......at one time OEL was legitimately one of the top four or five d-men in the entire league. But his body just isn't allowing him to play the way I know he wishes he could play.

Too many minutes and too many cumulative injuries on a bad Coyotes team. And of interest, his coach for most of those seasons was none other than Rick Tocchet. Makes you wonder if they'll be able to co-exist in Vancouver.
Wasn't remotely that when Tocchet was head coach for the Yotes.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Easily one of the top 50 players in the league who are paid over $8 million per season. Easily

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad