Player Discussion Oliver Ekman-Larsson

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know OEL is earning north of $8 a season and is set up for life regardless of where his career takes him.

But it's hard not to feel a twinge of sympathy for him, the way things are going right now. Clearly he's a shell of the player he was--but I truly suspect that he's playing through pain most nights. He's surviving on instinct, but it's obvious his body won't let him do what he wants it to do.

And for anyone as intensely competitive as a pro hockey player, this has to be killing him. It isn't his fault that Benning either didn't watch enough film or was in a state of denial when he acquired him. That's on the former GM.

But sadly the marriage between the OEL and the Canucks isn't destined to have a happy ending. I don't see any way he's going to be able to stagger through to the end of his contract with the Canucks.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Remember teemu selanne's career was not doing well until the lockdown where he has plenty of time to heal, and he comes back with a vengeance? If he really is injured, why not try shut him down for the rest of the season, allowing his body to heal first?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Remember teemu selanne's career was not doing well until the lockdown where he has plenty of time to heal, and he comes back with a vengeance? If he really is injured, why not try shut him down for the rest of the season, allowing his body to heal first?
His own ego is one. The other one is he probably will need a doctor to say his knees are toast and need time to heal. Both of that assumes that he’s playing through something.

Another possibility is that he is not play through anything and this is just the end result of multiple injuries and it can only go downhill from here and nothing can help.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
His own ego is one. The other one is he probably will need a doctor to say his knees are toast and need time to heal. Both of that assumes that he’s playing through something.

Another possibility is that he is not play through anything and this is just the end result of multiple injuries and it can only go downhill from here and nothing can help.
A lot of these elite athletes are just gonna rely on pain management injections like PRP and other type of modalities before they're given the tough conversation from the team doctors - you're right in that's the reality of it IF he's indeed injured.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
$10.5 in cash this year and next. Was Bennings goal to trade for a contract even worse than the ones he signed? How did convince Aqua this was a good idea? Mind boggling

Reactions: The Extrapolater

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I
$10.5 in cash this year and next. Was Bennings goal to trade for a contract even worse than the ones he signed? How did convince Aqua this was a good idea? Mind boggling
Exactly.....why does the owner get a 'pass' on this disastrous deal? Since assuming OEL's contract meant a $50m cap hit, you have to assume that Jethro at least bounced the idea off Aquilini. And apparently he had no problem with it.

Of course those were the days that ownership was stubbornly maintaining that "Benning was still their man". Less than five months later, they fired him.

Proof positive, that bad ownership eventually filters through to the results on the ice.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
I know OEL is earning north of $8 a season and is set up for life regardless of where his career takes him.

But it's hard not to feel a twinge of sympathy for him, the way things are going right now. Clearly he's a shell of the player he was--but I truly suspect that he's playing through pain most nights. He's surviving on instinct, but it's obvious his body won't let him do what he wants it to do.

And for anyone as intensely competitive as a pro hockey player, this has to be killing him. It isn't his fault that Benning either didn't watch enough film or was in a state of denial when he acquired him. That's on the former GM.

But sadly the marriage between the OEL and the Canucks isn't destined to have a happy ending. I don't see any way he's going to be able to stagger through to the end of his contract with the Canucks.

Agreed. He seems like a good guy. The trade wasn't his fault.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I

Exactly.....why does the owner get a 'pass' on this disastrous deal? Since assuming OEL's contract meant a $50m cap hit, you have to assume that Jethro at least bounced the idea off Aquilini. And apparently he had no problem with it.

Of course those were the days that ownership was stubbornly maintaining that "Benning was still their man". Less than five months later, they fired him.

Proof positive, that bad ownership eventually filters through to the results on the ice.

I've roasted Benning before, but really pretty hard to argue with this trade. . .
Jul 23, 2021

• Haha
Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t know why he wasn’t good there, but I expect he’ll be good here!

I think it's more along the lines of "this player was really good a few years ago. I'm going to assume he's still just as good, and just isn't getting a fair shake because of reasons." Which like, kind of mostly sums up Benning-era pro scouting as a whole.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Smart plan to pre-setup the LTIR lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad