Proposal: Oliver Ekman Larsson

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
From the occasional boxscore-surfing during gamedays, I saw Jordan Oesterle getting more TOI than OEL in AZ this last season.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
OEL’s contract is going to be terrible in the later years. He is 30 which would suggest he has some years left in the tank but this is a guy that has also played a lot of years in the NHL. That can eat into a player’s later years.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Tochett was a terrible coach and he did clash heads with OEL

I tend to agree this is a shot worth taking as I don’t think it would cost a lot and he has a history of playing with Murphy

Zona would likely take a cap dump back in this deal

If you can pull off something like Vegas 2nd, Krys, Gaudette and cap dump (Seabs/Shaw/De Haan/Connelly) you do it

This trade will look a lot like the one NJ got Subban for, that gamble hasn’t worked so far but it was worth a shot for them. They ended up dealing a second and Santini for Subban

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
This post peaked my curiosity, so I had a look at the salaries and cap hits for the players that might be involved in this "trade".

If the Coyotes want to cut salary, and are worried about getting to the cap floor, trading OEL for Seabrook's contract would get them 83% of OEL's cap hit for half of OEL's salary for the next three years. Seabrook's average payout for the last three years of his contract would be 5.17 million, whereas OEL's payout is 10.5 million each year for the next three years. So, like I said, the Coyotes would get 83% of OEL's yearly cap hit for the next three years for less than half the salary they are paying OEL. Then, the Coyotes can take OEL back in the last two years of his contract when his cap hit is significantly more than his salary.

For the Hawks, how does this compare to other options? Signing Dougie Hamilton, or trading for Seth Jones presumably would both not involve a significant bad contract going back to another team. Thus they would still have the Seabrook contract on the books while having to pay DH or SJ. DOBs: OEL 7/17/91; DH 6/17/93; SJ 10/3/94. So OEL is about two years older than DH, and a little more than three older than SJ.

If the Coyotes are in a post-covid panic about receipts, it would seem that trading OEL for a contract with a similar cap hit that is significantly cheaper in terms of salary would make a lot of sense.

How does the board feel about OEL vs DH vs SJ? If the Hawks were interested, who would have to go along with Seabrook? Who else would come back?

Reactions: Brightwing

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
How about this?

Oliver EkmanLarsson and Columbus' 2021(Ari owns)2nd for Nikita Zadorov, Brett Connolly and Vegas' 2021 2nd(Chi owns)...
Basically getting OEL and a pick 24 spots higher in this years draft for an overpriced Connolly and a soon to be over priced Zadorov...

We'd be drafting 11, 37 and 43 this draft, which could help in moving up?

Everyone's all about OEL being 30 with five left on his deal...Keith's 37 with two years left!!!

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
How about this?

Oliver EkmanLarsson and Columbus' 2021(Ari owns)2nd for Nikita Zadorov, Brett Connolly and Vegas' 2021 2nd(Chi owns)...
Basically getting OEL and a pick 24 spots higher in this years draft for an overpriced Connolly and a soon to be over priced Zadorov...

We'd be drafting 11, 37 and 43 this draft, which could help in moving up?

Everyone's all about OEL being 30 with five left on his deal...Keith's 37 with two years left!!!
If the goal for Arizona is to cut salary, I don't see them taking back Connolly or Big Z. Basically, if cash-strapped they would want to use the 10.5 mill they would be paying OEL to get more cap hit and more NHL players. Maybe they ask for Suter and Kalynuk and the Hawks counter-offer with Strome and Mitchell. The part about picks makes sense to me.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If the Coyotes trade their captain for spare parts or a collection of meh just to save money you might as well announce where you're moving the team on the same day.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Problem is Yotes are damned if they do and damned if they dont

Yotes want futures since they appear to be building from ground up

From sounds of Russo and others Garland and Keller are very much available as well so it appears they are going back to square 1

Not sure Yotes franchise can survive a full rebuild and remain (Especially with stadium issue).. Its a shame Rockets ownership has no interest in bringing NHL to Houston.. Would be great for NHL

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also options for OEL are limited because of his contract + NMC

They very may well need to settle especially if both sides want to end this situation

OEL will have to be open to more potential destinations while Yotes are likely to get less of a package then they want or would have gotten in recent past from Bos/Van if those talks wouldn't have died out

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
This post peaked my curiosity, so I had a look at the salaries and cap hits for the players that might be involved in this "trade".

If the Coyotes want to cut salary, and are worried about getting to the cap floor, trading OEL for Seabrook's contract would get them 83% of OEL's cap hit for half of OEL's salary for the next three years. Seabrook's average payout for the last three years of his contract would be 5.17 million, whereas OEL's payout is 10.5 million each year for the next three years. So, like I said, the Coyotes would get 83% of OEL's yearly cap hit for the next three years for less than half the salary they are paying OEL. Then, the Coyotes can take OEL back in the last two years of his contract when his cap hit is significantly more than his salary.

For the Hawks, how does this compare to other options? Signing Dougie Hamilton, or trading for Seth Jones presumably would both not involve a significant bad contract going back to another team. Thus they would still have the Seabrook contract on the books while having to pay DH or SJ. DOBs: OEL 7/17/91; DH 6/17/93; SJ 10/3/94. So OEL is about two years older than DH, and a little more than three older than SJ.

If the Coyotes are in a post-covid panic about receipts, it would seem that trading OEL for a contract with a similar cap hit that is significantly cheaper in terms of salary would make a lot of sense.

How does the board feel about OEL vs DH vs SJ? If the Hawks were interested, who would have to go along with Seabrook? Who else would come back?

I actually think this would work. Pair OEL with Boqvist and you've got something.

If the Hawks send back a prospect and they retain a bit of salary even better.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why trade anything for OEL when you could just sign a better, younger player in free agency? It just makes no sense. I also think OEL is washed. And he's never been great defensively, either.

Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad