Proposal: Oliver Ekman Larsson

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would be if price is Strome + DeHaan

Hawks have plenty of cap coming off the books in coming years so taking risk on OEL is not the worst gamble

Strome + DeHaan takes the contract off hands of Yotes which is relief enough + Strome was sent packing by previous management/coaching so its not outlandish to see him back to Phoenix potentially and for Yotes he would be a 1 yr roll of dice. DeHaan is just a cap dump in deal as well he is awful now after all the injuries

OEL-Murphy
Keith-Boqvist

Is alot better of a top 4 situation then what we currently have

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Didn't realize he had 6 more years on that contract and that his cap hit is 8.25M. I knew he signed an extension, but didn't remember it was for that long or that much.

He turns 30 next month.

Absolutely not. Just sign Hamilton instead if anything.

Getting rid of Strome or CdH at this point doesn't really even help us out. There is absolutely no reason why we need their money off our books right now, so just wait those contracts out if you have to.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Getting rid of Strome or CdH at this point doesn't really even help us out.

I don't know, addition by subtraction. One has no motivation and the other seems to have not recovered from injury/rehab...give those minutes elsewhere. Although CdH at least may turn it around, when in top form he's solid.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
For Strome and DeHaan, I would throw in a little Wagyu beef too!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't know, addition by subtraction. One has no motivation and the other seems to have not recovered from injury/rehab...give those minutes elsewhere. Although CdH at least may turn it around, when in top form he's solid.

Given they each only have the 21-22 season left on their contracts, it just doesn't make sense to take on a 30 year old defenseman with 6 more years at an 8M+ cap hit to get rid of those 2 plugs. Just wait it out.

CdH will probably be injured for more than half the season anyway.

Not to mention at that price you can get a better player in Hamilton who is 2 years younger.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Given they each only have the 21-22 season left on their contracts, it just doesn't make sense to take on a 30 year old defenseman with 6 more years at an 8M+ cap hit to get rid of those 2 plugs. Just wait it out.

CdH will probably be injured for more than half the season anyway.

Not to mention at that price you can get a better player in Hamilton who is 2 years younger.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for OEL, I just meant ditching Strome and possibly CdH in general though I'd prefer the latter get his game back.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for OEL, I just meant ditching Strome and possibly CdH in general though I'd prefer the latter get his game back.

I'd give Strome away if we could, but I wouldn't pay someone to take him either.

Kind of hoping maybe Seattle does take him just so they can have some form of a point producing forward, even if he's as flawed as they come. While Seattle will for sure be looking to exploit cap strapped teams as much as they can, they do still need to field an actual team too.

Also, there is a "Will OEL Rebound" thread on the Arizona board that I just read.

Yikes... not a guy we should be interseted in. At all.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I would not mind DeHaan and Strome being the "useful" pieces going the other way to take a gamble on OEL bouncing back....but with 8.25 in cap (and massive real salary the next 3 years @10.5 per) Connelly at a minimum would need to be going too (if not Seabrook's contract as even with LTIR, it still creates gymnastics to work around). If you could get OEL for basically the sunk cost of DeHaan and Connelly this year and a net of 4.75 the following year (8.25- connelly's 3.5), it might be worth considering as in year 3 we will undergo a massive reshaping with Keith, Toews, and Kane all coming to the end of their deals. If Toews is actually going to be back and we are set on making a splashing UFA/trade add and go for it in the twilights of Keith/Toews/Kane...maybe.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks are set to have 70M in open cap room in a couple years (I know we will have some youth to extend and Kane most likely)

But the OEL contract is not the great risk many are seeing it as for a team like Hawks and the reward/upside is very high

OEL is not a Seabrook in which he is physically failing.. OEL struggles largely seem to stem from an organization that is pretty shit around him and incompatibility with coach

OEL struggles coincide alot with hiring of Rick Tochett who is a terrible coach IMO

Also one has to just look at last years play in/playoffs in which OEL was by far Yotes best player to see him performing at high level

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hawks are set to have 70M in open cap room in a couple years (I know we will have some youth to extend and Kane most likely)

But the OEL contract is not the great risk many are seeing it as for a team like Hawks and the reward/upside is very high

OEL is not a Seabrook in which he is physically failing.. OEL struggles largely seem to stem from an organization that is pretty shit around him and incompatibility with coach

OEL struggles coincide alot with hiring of Rick Tochett who is a terrible coach IMO

Also one has to just look at last years play in/playoffs in which OEL was by far Yotes best player to see him performing at high level
Eight million for six more years coming off a terrible year. Wouldn't claim him off waivers.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I'm guessing like myself you haven't watched him play much. The Coyotes board just a few days ago started a thread asking if he can turn it around.

Go see what they think about him since they obviously watch him a hell of a lot more than anyone here and then tell me if that's the guy you want to bank on rebounding who will turn 30 next month an has 6 years at 8.25M per. They'd have to throw in a 1st round pick for me to consider taking him.

Will OEL rebound?

There are a few mixed opinions of course but I sure as hell didn't walk away after reading that thinking we can buy low and get a steal.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
OEL has never been a good all around dman. Mostly a good shot is all. Anytime they've tried to play him outside a pure Offensive role its been bad.

He's in a way what Boqvist could reasonably be. Great offensive shooting dman that's medicore otherwise. But all the Bqovist didn't do enough... Boqvist had better ppg at 20 than OEL did. Short season for Boqvy sure.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
OEL has never been a good all around dman. Mostly a good shot is all. Anytime they've tried to play him outside a pure Offensive role its been bad.

He's in a way what Boqvist could reasonably be. Great offensive shooting dman that's medicore otherwise. But all the Bqovist didn't do enough... Boqvist had better ppg at 20 than OEL did. Short season for Boqvy sure.

Boqvist will be better than OEL for the remainder of OEL's career, and I would put money on it.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Free of Tochett I expect a return to form for OEL

Tochett has been major issue in Arizona

Obviously people disagree but at end of day I would not be upset if Hawks take shot on OEL giving up nothing of value like I proposed

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Another imaginary proposal that’s not gonna happen but let’s discuss it to death…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad