Oldest D in NHL ?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So far so good.

My only concern is come playoff time. We already know Markov tends to slow down quite a bit by then. Will it be the same for Gonchar, Gilbert, Allen and Weaver this year?

If so, we might be in trouble.

How would the Canadiens be in trouble? They didn't surrender any of their previous D to acquire the two veterans they've added. Both Beaulieu and Tinordi are still very much in the mix and will always be available.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
This may blow everyone's minds, but this team is (I believe currently) the oldest, shortest, and lightest it has been on average over the past 5 years. I think we can see a few people on defense tipping the average, lol.

(if this doesn't work, it's gonna be messy, 'cause I can't edit)

AVERAGE HEIGHT, WEIGHT, AGE PER SEASON
Season Roster Link Average Height Average Weight Average Age
2014- 2015 View roster 183.65 cm | 6.00 ft 91.17 kg | 201 lbs 28.04 yrs
2013- 2014 View roster 183.40 cm | 6.00 ft 91.60 kg | 202 lbs 27.80 yrs
2012- 2013 View roster 183.10 cm | 6.00 ft 91.47 kg | 202 lbs 27.17 yrs
2011- 2012 View roster 183.85 cm | 6.00 ft 92.09 kg | 203 lbs 26.94 yrs
2010- 2011 View roster 184.21 cm | 6.00 ft 93.14 kg | 205 lbs 27.41 yrs

Aaaand that didn't work. Here's the link to eliteprospects instead...

The difference being until a couple days ago when we picked up Allen we didn't have a couple guys like Murray and Parros sitting in the press box doing nothing but making our average height/weight look a little better.

I also call into question some of the numbers they use. There is no way Tinordi is 203 or Sekac is 174...

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I think Weaver will be fine playoff time. Markov, Gonchar and maybe Allen(don't know him well enough) will for sure have slowed down. Those guys are getting older and relied more on their speed than stay at home d-men tend to, so it's going to be more noticeable.

A guy like Weaver is more of a defensive guy and will be less noticeable out there, but for a good reason.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Recipe for a Stanley Cup maybe, a far better mix of talented veteran defencemen for sure, two very fine goalies and a group of forwards that can create scoring from each line, play the game whichever way necessary. (physical, tight checking, grinding with fast transition and sniping) Seems made to order for the NHL playoffs, IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap: Also having the deepest group of talented defencemen plying their trade in the AHL, awaiting an opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup in Montreal and the 1st one in the Bell Centre, perfect ingredients from where I'm watching, Bergevin strikes again!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
With the sheer amount of D prospects we have, it isn't that big of a problem. Pateryn is on a one way deal next season, and Beaulieu / Tinner will likely sign one way deals.

At least 2 of Gonchar, Allen, Weaver, Gilbert will be gone next year so no biggy.

Just going to be a risk playing 2 - 3 rookies in one season.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Based on MB's comments before the season, it appeared that the organization was ready to experience those growing pains this year.

Obviously, something has changed between now and then. Maybe they just aren't quite where the organization expected them to be at this point. Or maybe the expectations changed based on where the team stands at this point of the season... Maybe a combination of both.

Either way, there haven't been any major injuries on D this season, and that is likely to change. I feel more confident being able to call up tinordi or beaulieu than the pateryns or nygrens.
The organization caught the "winning now" bug. The East is so weak the Habs window might as well be now. Win now while the team is healthy. Win now before Markov get too old, and Plekanec gone. Win now before Gally and Chucky cost too much.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The organization caught the "winning now" bug. The East is so weak the Habs window might as well be now. Win now while the team is healthy. Win now before Markov get too old, and Plekanec gone. Win now before Gally and Chucky cost too much.

And it does make sense. Price, Subban and Pacioretty are in their prime right now too. This could be the perfect storm.

Regardless of this, the win now attitude we have is not costing us much. Just Beaulieu and Tinordi in Hamilton instead of playing big minutes for us. Which might not even be a bad thing for them anyway.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
And it does make sense. Price, Subban and Pacioretty are in their prime right now too. This could be the perfect storm.

Regardless of this, the win now attitude we have is not costing us much. Just Beaulieu and Tinordi in Hamilton instead of playing big minutes for us. Which might not even be a bad thing for them anyway.
As long as they don't trade high picks for bad long term contracts, off course Bergevin is smarter than that. The two trades he recently made were both for one year contract.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
MT loves his vets doubt Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn will get much NHL icetime going forward. Seems a waste as we have a good cushion we should be bringing these guys along.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks to Stive Morgan in the BOS GDT:

Capture%2Bd%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%2B2014-11-22%2Ba%CC%80%2B10.53.17.gif

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Gonchar, Markov, Weaver, Allen and Gilbert, do we have the oldest D core in NHL ? If not, what team has the oldest D ?
The slowest too ? Emelin is average in terms of speed, and PK is above average.

May hurt later in year as older players wear down sooner. Could have 3-4 less points now but be breaking in Tinny and Beaulieu. By spring or next season they be rounding into form. Next fall I expect a big name defenseman be signed or traded here. Doubt Bergs be doing this if not because next fall he'd have to go thru same thing he started to do this season. Tinny especially has maxed out all he will go in Hamilton. Maybe Beaulieu if he is sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad