Oldest Current Ongoing String of Traded Assets

Derick*

I've thought a lot about the idea that if a cup is the only purpose of a team's actions, any trade that didn't lead to a piece of a cup win is wasted. But so long as, before the assets' value are gone, they keep trading them for prospects and draft picks, a trade that happened in the past can still help you win a cup long into the future, long after the assets you received became worthless. The Heatley/Hossa trade thread, and the comments that "at least Ottawa still has Michalek to show for it" got me thinking about this more.

So my question for history buffs is: which team has the player or draft pick that is part of the longest string of trades going back into time? Or, to put it in another, perhaps more comprehensible way: what's the oldest trade in history that one of the teams still has something to show for it?

All strings have to end eventually, when all the players received in a particular trade or drafted with a particular pick (and all those subsequently received) become UFAs or retire. Hypothetically, though, there could be a string going all the way back to the 20s or whenever "trading" as we currently understand it started to exist, so that we can look at a trade the Habs or Leafs made in the 20s and say "well at least they still have this to show for it."

I can't imagine how anyone can answer this question without doing a lifetime of research but at least seventieslord must be able to come up with something :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
I think the answer to this is the Neely to Boston and Pederson to Vancouver trade. I'm pretty sure the Bruins still have a player (Lucic?) from that string.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's funny that you mention me, because this is something I've always been interested in.

mco already beat me to it, but that Barry Pederson pick by the Bruins over 30 years ago is still reaping benefits today.

The Leafs' selection of Vinny Damphousse created an unbroken asset string that lasted until the leafs dumped Mike van Ryn this summer.

I actually don't know of any other good ones besides that. but I do know this has been discussed before.

Search "pederson lucic" in the history section and you might find the thread.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Al MacInnis to St-Louis was a direct byproduct of the Oates+ for Federko+ deal. That string is likely broken (unless they got something for a 3rd rounder that turned out to be Ville Nieminen)

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Without running down all the other players picks involved:

Oct. 81 - Lorimer - Lafontaine - Turgeon - Luongo - Kvasha/Parrish - Kirill Petrov and Phoenix 3rd in 2006 that went to Boston for unknown

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Lindros tree is still going. Stefan Elliot and Ryan Wilson are pieces of the Avs from that deal. It stands at 18 years now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Reminds the Behn Wilson / Doug Crossman - 2nd rounder (Scott Mellanby) trade for the Flyers

- Matt Walker and a 4th rounder.

Meanless to say the the "return" was much better last season. Philly won that trade, big time, with Renberg and Kapanen playing long stints in Philly as well.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
Here is a pretty long link for trading assests go

August 19th 1982 Edmonton trades Risto Siltanen and Brent Loney to the Whalers for Ken Linesman

June 21 1984 Edmonton Trades Ken Linesman to Boston for Mike Krushlenyski

Krushlenyski is then traded in the Gretzky deal in 1988

In the Gretkzy deal the Oilers change one the 1st pick they get in 1989 to New Jersey for Corey Foster

Corey Foster is traded in 1991 in the Jari Kurri deal. Oilers get Craig Berube

Berube is traded in September of 1991 in the Damphousse deal

In 1992 Damphousse is traded to Montreal for Shayne Corson

In 1995 St Louis signs Corson as a free agent Edmonton receives St Louis 1st rnd picks in 96 and 97 as compensation

Edmonton trades both picks back on the same day to St. Louis for Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier

Mike Grier is traded in 2002 to Washington for Washington's 2nd annd 3rd round pick(2003) Edmonton chooses Zach Stortini

Edmonton trades the Washington's 2nd round pick in the Janne Niniimaa trade to the Islander in 2003 they get Raffi Torres

In 2009 Edmonton trades Raffi Torres to Columbus for Gilbert Brule

So from that one trade in 1982 the Oilers have on their roster today Zach Stortini and Gilbert Brule.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just because I am bored I tried to find a Kings one. This one can actually trace 2 top 5 picks from the early 80's (since the assets they acquire comes together) and later deal ANOTHER top 5 pick included with these assets.

Jun ??, 1980, LAK drafted D Larry Murphy 4th overall

Jun ??, 1981 LAK drafted C Doug Smith 2nd overall

Oct 18, 1983, LAK trade D Larry Murphy for WSH D Brian Engblom and D Ken Houston

Jun ??, 1984 D Ken Houston retires? (or out hockey)

Jan 30, 1986, LAK trade D Brian Engblom and C Doug Smith for BUF LW Ken Baumgartner, FWD Sean McKenna and D Larry Playfair

Dec 14, 1987 LAK trade FWD Sean McKenna for TOR FWD Mike Allison

Oct 22, 1988 LAK trade D Larry Playfair for BUF Rnd 9 pick in 89

Jun ??, 1989 LAK select Jim Giancin with BUF pick. Never plays above NCAA.

Nov 29, 1989 LAK trade LW Ken Baumgartner and C Hubie McDonough for NYI LW Mikko Makela

Jun ??, 1990 FWD Mike Allison retires

Sep 30, 1990 LAK trade LW Mikko Makela to BUF for LW Mike Donnelly

Feb 17, 1995 LAK trade LW Mike Donnelly and 7th Rnd in 96(G Eoin McInerney) to DAL for Rnd 4 pick in 96

Jul 8, 1995 LAK trade DAL Rnd 4 pick in 96(RW Justin Davis) and 1st Rnd in 96 (RW Alexandre Volchkov) for G Byron Dafoe and LW Dmitri Khristich

Aug 29, 1997 LAK trade G Byron Dafoe and LW Dmitri Khristich for BOS C Jozef Stumpel, LW Sandy Moger and Rnd 4 pick in 98

Jun 18, 98 LAK trade Rnd 4 pick in 98 to NJD for D Doug Bodger

June ??, 99 LAK release LW Sandy Moger
June ??, 99 D Doug Bodger retires

Oct 21, 01 LAK trade C Jozef Stumpel and RW Glen Murray to BOS for C Jason Allison and LW Mikko Eloranto

Jun ??, 03 LAK release LW Mikko Eloranto
Jun ??, 05 LAK release C Jason Allison (having last played in 03).

So this is what in the end 3 top 5 picks (D Larry Murphy 4th 80, C Doug Smith 2nd 81, 4th Ov 96) and then adding Glen Murray(who can be traced back to UFA C Eddie Olczyk) got them.

I know not current but it was 25 years and thought since I looked it up I will post anyways.

Derick*

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm afraid I couldn't find this other thread.

Keep it up. I'd like to see if we can get a super long one. I hope this thread doesn't lose steam.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
June 9th 1979: The Quebec Nordiques trade QUE's 1980 1st rd pick (3rd overall; C Denis Savard) to the Chicago Blackhawks for future considerations (CHI does not take C Real Cloutier in 1979 NHL Reclaim Draft)

June 11th 1980: The Chicago Blackhawks draft C Denis Savard 3rd overall in NHL Entry Draft

June 29th 1990: The Chicago Blackhawks trade C Denis Savard to the Montreal Canadiens for RD Chris Chelios and MTL's 1991 2nd rd pick (#39, LW Mike Pomichter)

March 23rd 1999: The Chicago Blackhawks trade RD Chris Chelios to the Detroit Red Wings for LD Anders Eriksson, DET's 1999 1st rd pick (LD Steve McCarthy), and DET's 2001 (#29, G Adam Munro)

June 21st 2003: The Chicago Blackhawks receive 2003 2nd rd compensation pick (#59, LD Michal Barinka) for letting G Adam Munro go as an unsigned draft pick

June 21st 2003: The Chicago Blackhawks draft LD Michal Barinka 59th overall

July 9th 2006: The Chicago Blackhawks trade RD Tom Preissing, C Josh Hennessy, LD Michal Barinka, and 2008 2nd rd pick (#42, LD Patrick Wiercioch) to the Ottawa Senators for RW Martin Havlat and C Bryan Smolinski

February 26th 2007: The Chicago Blackhawks trade C Bryan Smolinski to the Vancouver Canucks for 2007 2nd rd pick (#56, RW Akim Aliu)

June 23rd 2010: The Chicago Blackhawks trade LW/RD Dustin Byfuglien, RD Brent Sopel, LW Ben Eager, and RW Akim Aliu to the Atlanta Thrashers for C Marty Reasoner, LW/RW Jeremy Morin, D Joey Crabb, NJ's 2010 1st rd pick (#24, C/RW Kevyn Hayes), and NJ's 2010 2nd rd pick (#54, RD Justin Holl)

July 22nd 2010: The Chicago Blackhawks trade C Marty Reasoner to the Florida Panthers for C Jeff Taffe

---

Some other side deals involved, but thirty years later, Real Cloutier (plus extras picked up along the way) turns into Morin, Hayes, Holl, and Taffe. [If you wanna take the ATL deal as lots of one-for-ones, Aliu turned into Morin].

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Dave Burrows To Marc-Andre Fleury

1978-Jun-14 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Toronto Maple Leafs for Randy Carlyle and George Ferguson

1984-Mar-05 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Winnipeg Jets for Moe Mantha and round 1 pick in the 1984 draft (Doug Bodger)

1987-Nov-24 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with Dave Hannan, Chris Joseph and Craig Simpson to Edmonton Oilers for Paul Coffey, Dave Hunter and Wayne Van Dorp

1992-Feb-19 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Los Angeles Kings for Brian Benning, Jeff Chychrun and round 1 pick in the 1992 draft (Jason Bowen)

1992-Feb-19 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with Mark Recchi and round 1 pick in the 1992 draft (Jason Bowen) to Philadelphia Flyers for Kjell Samuelsson, Rick Tocchet and Ken Wregget

1994-Jul-29 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with round 2 pick in the 1995 draft to Los Angeles Kings for Luc Robitaille

1995-Aug-31 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with Ulf Samuelsson to New York Rangers for Petr Nedved and Sergei Zubov

1998-Nov-25 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with Chris Tamer and Sean Pronger to New York Rangers for Alexei Kovalev and Harry York

2003-Feb-10 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with Janne Laukkanen, Mike Wilson and Dan LaCouture to New York Rangers for Joel Bouchard, Rico Fata, Richard Lintner, Mikael Samuelsson and future considerations

2003-Jun-21 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins with round 1 pick in the 2003 draft (Nathan Horton) and round 2 pick in the 2003 draft (Stefan Meyer) to Florida Panthers for round 1 pick in the 2003 draft (Marc-Andre Fleury) and round 3 pick in the 2003 draft (Daniel Carcillo)

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
That's funny that you mention me, because this is something I've always been interested in.

mco already beat me to it, but that Barry Pederson pick by the Bruins over 30 years ago is still reaping benefits today.

The Leafs' selection of Vinny Damphousse created an unbroken asset string that lasted until the leafs dumped Mike van Ryn this summer.

I actually don't know of any other good ones besides that. but I do know this has been discussed before.

Search "pederson lucic" in the history section and you might find the thread.

The Leafs still have an asset thread that's 4 years older than Damphousse.

Leeman -> Macoun -> Ponikarovsky -> Caputi

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The macoun pick turned into poni? I never knew that.

Still, that is a bit of a cheap one, as leeman was really traded for gilmour.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I've got a L.A. Kings one going from 1967-present:

1967: L.A. claims Bob Wall in the expansion draft

1970: Wall is traded to St. Louis for Ray Fortin

1971: Fortin is part of the trade with Montreal that sends Ralph Backstrom to L.A.

1973: Backstrom is traded to Chicago for Dan Maloney

1975: Maloney is part of an arranged trade with Detroit as compensation to allow the Kings to sign Marcel Dionne

1987: Dionne is traded to the NY Rangers for Bobby Carpenter and Tom Laidlaw

1989: Carpenter is traded to Boston for Steve Kasper

1991: Kasper and Steve Duchesne are traded to Philadelphia for Jeff Chychrun and Jari Kurri (part of a three team trade with Edmonton that day).

1996: Kurri is traded to the Rangers as part of a seven-player deal that send Mattias Norstrom to L.A.

2007: Norstrom is traded to the Stars. as part of a multi-player/picks deal with Dallas. Part of the deal included the Kings getting Dallas's 2nd round pick, which L.A. uses to select Oscar Moller

2010: Moller is still in the Kings system.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
•Barry Pederson was traded to Vancouver for Cam Neely and a first round pick that turned out to be Glen Wesley.
•Wesley went to Hartford (now Carolina) for 3 1st round picks.
•Those picks turned out to be Kyle McLaren, Jonathan Aitken, and Sergei Samsonov.
•McLaren was later traded to San Jose for Jeff Hackett and Jeff Jillson.
•Jillson was traded back to San Jose for Brad Boyes, who was later dealt to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman.
•Samsonov was traded to the Edmonton Oilers for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny and a 2nd round pick.
•That 2nd round pick turned out to be Milan Lucic.
Dennis Wideman was traded to the Florida Panthers for Nathan Horton

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
•Barry Pederson was traded to Vancouver for Cam Neely and a first round pick that turned out to be Glen Wesley.
•Those picks turned out to be Kyle McLaren, Jonathan Aitken, and Sergei Samsonov.
•Jillson was traded back to San Jose for Brad Boyes, who was later dealt to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman.
•Samsonov was traded to the Edmonton Oilers for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny and a 2nd round pick.

This is the purest one there is.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm afraid I couldn't find this other thread.

Keep it up. I'd like to see if we can get a super long one. I hope this thread doesn't lose steam.

1980: bruins draft barry pederson 18th overall

barry pederson makes the bruins full-time in 1981, finishing second to dale hawerchuk for the calder trophy. scores 315 points in his first three full seasons, leading the team in scoring twice, and adds 50 points in his first two playoff years. had those catastrophic shoulder surgeries, but came back to score at almost a point per game clip in his last season as a bruin.

1986: boston famously trades pederson to vancouver for cam neely and vancouver's first round pick in the 1987 draft.

cam neely retires a bruin after an all-star career, eventually ending up in the hall of fame.

that 1987 first round pick turned out to be 3rd overall, boston picks glen wesley.

glen wesley makes the bruins right out of junior and makes the all-rookie team. was a solid two-way defenceman for seven seasons, and was an all-star in 1989.

1994: boston trades glen wesley to hartford for first round picks in '95, '96, and '97.

boston picks kyle mclaren 9th overall with hartford's '95 pick.

2003: in a three-way deal that also involved niklas sundstrom, boston gives up kyle mclaren and a 4th round pick and receives jeff hackett from montreal and jeff jillson from san jose.

jeff hackett, who had lost his job to jose theodore in montreal, failed to solidify boston's goaltending down the stretch and they miss the playoffs. he signs with philadelphia in the off-season.

2004: boston trades jeff jillson back to san jose for brad boyes.

brad boyes makes the bruins in 2005, nearly leading the team in scoring and making the all-rookie team.

2007: boston trades brad boyes to st. louis for dennis wideman.

dennis wideman is currently boston's #2 defenseman.

boston picks jonathan aitken 8th overall with hartford's 1996 first rounder. he eventually plays three games for the bruins before disappearing in the minors.

boston picks sergei samsonov 8th overall with hartford (now carolina)'s 1997 first rounder.

sergei samsonov immediately makes the bruins and wins the calder trophy, leading all rookies in scoring. has a number of good offensive seasons with boston, was an all-star in 2001, and led the the bruins in scoring in 2002.

2006: boston trades samsonov to edmonton for marty reasoner, yan stastny, and a second round pick in the 2006 draft.

marty reasoner finishes the year in boston and resigns with edmonton in the off-season.

2007: boston trades yan stastny to st. louis for a fifth round pick in 2007.

boston picks denis reul with st. louis's 2007 fifth round pick.

denis reul is in the QMJHL and (according to hockey's future, anyway) projects to be a big defensive defenceman in the NHL someday.

boston picks milan lucic with edmonton's 2006 second round pick.

milan lucic is having a pretty good sophomore season with the bruins and has drawn comparisons to cam neely.

so, from that 18th overall pick in 1980, boston got the best years of a guy who led the team in scoring twice and had two monster playoff runs (pederson), the entire career of a hall of famer who remains one of boston's all-time most beloved athletes (neely), seven years of a steady two-way defenceman who along with neely helped the bruins to two stanley cup finals (wesley), the first seven seasons of a speedy second line winger whose game seriously declined soon after he was traded away (samsonov), one good season and one bad one of a young scoring winger (boyes), plus they still have wideman and lucic, who are currently major contributors on a first place team and, more importantly, who represent huge parts of the franchise's future almost 30 years after the original draft pick. for god's sake, wideman wasn't even born yet when pederson was drafted, and lucic was born two years after pederson was traded to vancouver.

2010 update: dennis wideman is traded, along with 1st and 3rd round picks, to florida for nathan horton and gregory campbell.

the thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=611382

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008

So basically, the Bruins turned Barry Pederson into Cam Neely, Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton?

Not bad.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I think the Wayne Gretzky trade just ended this summer when Ethan Moreau got put on waivers but I'm not sure.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I always like the Habs goalie chain:

Habs pick Bunny Laroque in the 1st round
Trade Laroque for Robert Picard:(
Trade Picard for a Pick:)
Use pick to select Pat Roy:yo:
Acquire Thibault in Roy trade:cry::rant::amazed:
Trade Thibault for Hackett:)