GDT: Olé, Olé, Olé vs. Kitties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

its definitely worse than last year, not sure why.

Maybe we scored more? better PP?

don't know.

On top of the fact that the team is bad, the two best players (and other key members of the lineup) are hurt, as well.

Erick*

No Barkov, no Luongo and no Huberdeau (even if he's struggled). Those three guys usually play a part in the few times that the team is fun to watch.

Come to think of it, those three guys are arguably the most marketable players on the team.

The hockey gods clearly hate this team.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Huberdeau had more time and space last year because Mueller was distracting the opposition with his beautiful flow. :sarcasm:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
didn't we loses weiss and versteeg and others last year as well? inures were horrific last year too...

it all sucks.

Yeah injuries were terrible last year.

Can't really use that excuse this year, well the last few weeks have been bad, but much pretty all last season was terrible for injuries.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Yeah injuries were terrible last year.

Can't really use that excuse this year, well the last few weeks have been bad, but much pretty all last season was terrible for injuries.

this year is not injury related; we were in a frefall before Barkov was injured. its purely a really bad roster. Impotent scoring from day 1. We score less than 3 goals a game like > 80% of the time. Bottom payroll, bottom team.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Johansen just scored his 30th of the year for Columbus. Picked 4th overall, one spot behind Gudbranson.

and Cam Fowler has 36 pts and is a +15 playing 24 minutes a night, too.

Our 4 realistic choices at the time were Fowler, Johansen, Gormley or Gudbranson.

Good thing we didn't take Gormley? :sarcasm:

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Although the forwards' defensive effort is not the best, I have the biggest problem with our defensemen. Our two best defensemen (Campbell and Kulikov) are both roving offense d-men who will jump up on the play to create offense every chance they get. The rest of our defensemen (Guds, Olsen, Jovo, Robak) are nothing more than bottom-pairing d-men who are not good/mobile enough to be paired with a Campbell or Kulikov to cover their roving. We need at least one Garrison-type player in our top-4 to be paired with Campbell (in fact, why not see if Garrison is available in the Canucks off-season fire sale).

I would want our d to look something like this next year:
Campbell-UFA/Trade(Garrison?)
Kulikov-UFA/Trade(Gilbert?)
Gudbranson-Olsen
Jovo/Robak/Petrovic

We dominated the third period possession tonight and out-shot the Canadiens by a 2-to-1 ratio (and that was with a half-AHL team). Once healthy next year I don't think offense will be the problem. Sure we could use a top 6 winger, but I would go after top-4 D more aggressively than a top 6 W. The kids like Howden, Pirri, Trochek and Shore have shown enough for me (when mostly paired with other AHL players) to feel comfortable having them with the team next year (when we actually have a full NHL roster) although I think Pirri would need to be moved to wing.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
and Cam Fowler has 36 pts and is a +15 playing 24 minutes a night, too.

Our 4 realistic choices at the time were Fowler, Johansen, Gormley or Gudbranson.

Good thing we didn't take Gormley? :sarcasm:

You could go back and look at every draft and say that someone should have gone higher than someone else. Eight other teams passed on Cam Fowler before the Ducks drafted him. If you want to keep going, we could have had Evgeny Kusnetzov or Emerson Etem instead of Howden in the same draft. That's how drafts work and a lot of that has to do with player development.

EDIT: I'm fine with people arguing for Johansen as he went one pick after ours, even though that argument is getting old too, but if Fowler was sooooo good coming into the draft, he would have gone before 12th. Not singling you out, this argument is just getting really old

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You could go back and look at every draft and say that someone should have gone higher than someone else. Eight other teams passed on Cam Fowler before the Ducks drafted him. If you want to keep going, we could have had Evgeny Kusnetzov or Emerson Etem instead of Howden in the same draft. That's how drafts work and a lot of that has to do with player development.

EDIT: I'm fine with people arguing for Johansen as he went one pick after ours, even though that argument is getting old too, but if Fowler was sooooo good coming into the draft, he would have gone before 12th. Not singling you out, this argument is just getting really old

Agreed

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Holy crapppppp.

I'd feel MUCH better about the whole Gudbranson thing if we made Gudbranson captain soon, drafted Aaron Ekblad and Bjugstad became a 25-30 goal guy next year (which is not unreasonable if he goes from 14 to 25 next year, il'll be happy with that)

AE has that Doughty, Keith, Subban, Pietroangelo type of potential. And Guddy would at least have the responsiblity of being captain. Plus, if Tallon plans to do it, might as well do already and put to use all of his great "c h a r a c t e r" skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad