Rumor: Okposo on Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Is that what we are having? I thought we had a contract impasse caused by Okposo's unwillingness to sign another team friendly deal.

We should add that to the title of the thread.

You don't become a $7 million dollar player because you break through some superstar plateau; you become a $7 million dollar player when players like you start making $7 million dollars. That's what happened here. JT became an $11 million dollar player recently despite making half that. So it goes.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
this is now the 3rd time you have taken a simple comment and spun it into an argument about something i didnt even say

i have said multiple times in this thread that i will be very happy to sign KO to a fair contract....but if he wants 7 million over 7 years and garth doesnt think he is the long term plan on Jt's wing, then...see ya! as periferal pointed out, this will be his 8th nhl season and we have likely seen him at his peak (he will likely stay there for a while longer), which is an inconsistent, frustrating, yet talented fringe 1st liner

we have a glut of talented forwards, so if we are not set on him being out long term 1LW option, lets see what we can get for him....nothing more, nothing less

You said the isles may see MDC/Strome as better long term options for JT's wing.

I want to know how long it will take for MDC/Strome to develop into legitimate 1st liners.

Again. I am not saying don't trade Okposo. I am saying I don't want picks/prospects. I want nhl talent replacing Okposo.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Just wondering if there is any chance we can move KO, Nielsen & GR for Seabrook, Bickell, Kuger, Raanta, plus Hawks 2nd this year? This helps their cap this year so they can sign Saad and give Isles a big winger and a legitimate top D with experience. The best player here is Seabrook and KO. KO and Nielsen will likely take a discount to sign with a contending team and Chicago have chance to win another SC.

The only problem is that Bickell is a LW.

Also ask for conditional 2016 2nd round pick if KO get signed by the Hawks.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
i was implying that mgmt may feel strome, MDC, or others may be a better option going forward

not only that, maybe garth simply wants to shore up the defense

How long will it take for MDC to be a 1st liner?

JT is only here another 3 years (thanks for someone to correct me). That's some time, BUT if we don't start competing NOW....he's gone. And I wouldn't blame him at all. Management is pathetic right now.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
You said the isles may see MDC/Strome as better long term options for JT's wing.

I want to know how long it will take for MDC/Strome to develop into legitimate 1st liners.

Again. I am not saying don't trade Okposo. I am saying I don't want picks/prospects. I want nhl talent replacing Okposo.

i personally think strome can be a solid winger for JT this upcoming year

no idea on MDC to be honest, but i think itd be safe to assume he can be a top 6 within 2-3 years

you wouldnt be happy trading KO straight up for 3rd overall (either hannifin/strome) under the condition we sign joel ward on july 1st? i would be ecstatic with that

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
you wouldnt be happy trading KO straight up for 3rd overall (either hannifin/strome) under the condition we sign joel ward on july 1st? i would be ecstatic with that
Heck no. Ward is a limited player on the decline, and the third over all will not help us next playoffs.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This just doesn't make sense to me.

This has to be about his eye. I don't think Snow wants to risk getting caught with 6-7M in dead cap space long term, although he would be LTIR'd right?

I can't imagine insurance picking up his salary should something happen on his next contract considering he is less than 6 months removed from two surgeries to repair a detached retina (one shortly after the intial surgery).

Hockey is a contact sport, and a simple body check could have an impact on that retina. I don't know, this is just my gut feeling.

K.O. has some flaws, but I've never ever ever considered him to be in Moulson/PAP range of expendability. And I thought he was good in the playoffs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
You're not seriously comparing PAP and Moulson to Okposo are you? :shakehead

:shakehead right back at you: this is my post that you responded to that started our exchange:

"Look at KO's numbers with and without JT, and then compare them with PAP and Moulson with and without JT. I think KO is better than those 2 guys, but I'm not sure he's a legit #1 RW point-getter without JT. Gotta consider that before committing big $$ for long term."

So, I was not saying KO is at the same level as PAP and Moulson. I do question whether he is a legit stud 1st line winger that you'd commit the kind of money and term that Staple is speculating about, $$$ which are not 2nd line RW $$$. KO's stats had a dramatic uptick when he was placed with JT. That is similar to PAP and Moulson. Some here lamented not keeping them (not sure if you were one of them).

We have to take the "JT Effect" into consideration. We are talking about committing to KO as our 1st line RW for 7 years. I'm uncomfortable with that idea to the extent that I hope Snow explores options. That's all.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The only trade I wouldn't mind for Okposo would be for a signed ROR, but then looking at his contract demands would we be that much better off? If we did trade for ROR though I would trade Nielsen and try sign St Louis or Williams in the off season

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
The only trade I wouldn't mind for Okposo would be for a signed ROR, but then looking at his contract demands would we be that much better off? If we did trade for ROR though I would trade Nielsen and try sign St Louis or Williams in the off season

Guys like ROR never sign before they become a free agent, and GM's almost never agree to sign a player first. The only time I can think of that happening was when Hossa was traded to Atlanta.

People need to stop requesting this in trade proposals.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
This just doesn't make sense to me.

This has to be about his eye. I don't think Snow wants to risk getting caught with 6-7M in dead cap space long term, although he would be LTIR'd right?

I can't imagine insurance picking up his salary should something happen on his next contract considering he is less than 6 months removed from two surgeries to repair a detached retina (one shortly after the intial surgery).

Hockey is a contact sport, and a simple body check could have an impact on that retina. I don't know, this is just my gut feeling.

K.O. has some flaws, but I've never ever ever considered him to be in Moulson/PAP range of expendability. And I thought he was good in the playoffs.

Agree that this could be a thing. A franchise like the Rangers or Leafs may be ok going uninsured on Kyle but the Isles and plenty of other franchises might not. If this is the reason I'm actually kind of understanding of it; I'm just not sure that's what is going on here.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

Why should Colorado have to trade a signed O'Reilly to get okposo? Don't okposo and O'Reilly have pretty similar value as they currently stand? I sure think so. So why should the isles get such a huge advantage in your proposal? This makes zero sense from the avs perspective.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Coming from the guy who said that Tavares wants out of New York, this doesn't mean a whole lot.

Did he say that?

Anyway GMs/owners use the media to gain leverage in all sorts of ways. I find this Tweet interesting for several reasons:

• Snow doesn't usually say anything.
  • When he does, it usually comes through Staple.
  • Dreger used the word "plan." To me if Dreger was quoting Snow and he used "plan" that tells me that he is actively engaged in talks to trade Okposo, but isn't getting the offers he wants.
  • So rare to hear Canadian reporters giving reports on the Isles. This is why I think Snow did this on purpose to hopefully increase the offers he's getting for Kyle. To give you an idea...Staple has 21,000 Twitter followers. Dreger has 800,000.
  • If Snow 100% wasn't trading Kyle he wouldn't have to say anything.

He may not deal him, but this Okposo trade story definitely has legs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why should Colorado have to trade a signed O'Reilly to get okposo? Don't okposo and O'Reilly have pretty similar value as they currently stand? I sure think so. So why should the isles get such a huge advantage in your proposal? This makes zero sense from the avs perspective.

I am guessing Colorado would demand the same, but this is the Islanders message board so no use talking about their needs here

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

It can make sense.

Avs sign O'Reilly at 7M with the intent of getting out from under that contract as fast as possible to settle ROR's value, since he has a knack for being a pain in COL's contractual tail and is all but guaranteed to be shipped east unless the Avs acquiesce to getting nothing for him in trade.

If they value Okposo and his 2.8M cap hit, they make the trade in order to let ROR's suitor deal with a 7M tab, getting a year to sell themselves to KO and/or allow KO's plausible variance in production to open up the chance to negotiate a contract for someone who wasn't a pain to negotiate through arbitration with. ROR exits the West, and he (and his talent vs. sulkiness) are then our problem/virtue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad