Podcast (Audio) Okposo on Spittin' Chiclets

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Okposo will always be one of my all time favorite islanders. In saying that, did anyone else get the sense from this interview that Okposo never really trained as hard or put his all into being a great player but rather got by on natural talent?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Okposo will always be one of my all time favorite islanders. In saying that, did anyone else get the sense from this interview that Okposo never really trained as hard or put his all into being a great player but rather got by on natural talent?
Knowing the organization he was drafted by, it wouldn't surprise me if he was never pushed to train as hard as we would expect. Like, who were the leaders on the team when he was young? Did we have a gung-ho strength & conditioning staff?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He mentioned that didn't he? He talked about how being with Tavares helped him understand how serious he needed to take something like his diet because he had all sorts of issues when his metabolism slowed down. It definitely sounded like he wasn't the most dialed in when it came to the health/fitness part of being an NHLer.

Reactions: SI90

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Wasn't he in that push-ups with chains video? ;)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He mentioned that didn't he? He talked about how being with Tavares helped him understand how serious he needed to take something like his diet because he had all sorts of issues when his metabolism slowed down. It definitely sounded like he wasn't the most dialed in when it came to the health/fitness part of being an NHLer.
Yes. Just got the sense that he was the type of guy that showed up to practice and games but away from the rink didn’t train as hard. This didn’t come up in the interview but there was always wide speculation that he smoked cigarettes for a long time.

They brought up the serious concussion he sustained in Buffalo but they never mentioned the pre season hit from Phaneuf. I think that really changed the trajectory of his career as well. The guy has had to over come a lot of injuries. Head, shoulder, eye.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes. Just got the sense that he was the type of guy that showed up to practice and games but away from the rink didn’t train as hard. This didn’t come up in the interview but there was always wide speculation that he smoked cigarettes for a long time.

They brought up the serious concussion he sustained in Buffalo but they never mentioned the pre season hit from Phaneuf. I think that really changed the trajectory of his career as well. The guy has had to over come a lot of injuries. Head, shoulder, eye.

I completely forgot about the cigarette thing, but that was part of the rumbling for sure. If they didn't have to talk about the Buffalo situations I'm sure he could've dove into some more of the Islanders stuff. I'm glad he was so up front about the DiPietro contract, Snow, and Wang, he even mentioned the "by committee" aspect of the decision making. It's not anything we haven't heard before but hearing it come from a player in a matter of fact way was refreshing at least.

He's in the last year of his contract, curious what he does next.

Edit: He's another one of those guys that seems like they might've been caught during the transition years of the NHL a little bit. Weight and Guerin are guys who had a ton of beers and were old school, but while they were finishing up their careers guys like Crosby, Toews, Tavares were coming through and taking everything up a notch in terms of nutrition and off-ice habits. I'd guess he was pulled in the wrong direction a little bit because of his timing.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I completely forgot about the cigarette thing, but that was part of the rumbling for sure. If they didn't have to talk about the Buffalo situations I'm sure he could've dove into some more of the Islanders stuff. I'm glad he was so up front about the DiPietro contract, Snow, and Wang, he even mentioned the "by committee" aspect of the decision making. It's not anything we haven't heard before but hearing it come from a player in a matter of fact way was refreshing at least.

He's in the last year of his contract, curious what he does next.

As these Snow “core” players get older and start to do interviews I’m sure we’ll hear a lot more about those years and a lot of the crazy stories will be confirmed.

He had a really good season last year. He’s considered the leader on that team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tuch is the future captain but some suggested Okposo as the stop gap while a younger guy maybe emerges.

If he has another solid season and wants to continue player I could see him signing short term deals to stay in Buffalo. Sounds like he really loves it there and his and Matt moulsons families are extremely close. They all live in the same neighborhood. Godparents to each others kids and such.

He’ll be 35 at the end of next season. With the injuries he’s sustained over the years I can’t imagine he has many more years left. We’ll see. I’ll always root for him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As these Snow “core” players get older and start to do interviews I’m sure we’ll hear a lot more about those years and a lot of the crazy stories will be confirmed.

He had a really good season last year. He’s considered the leader on that team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tuch is the future captain but some suggested Okposo as the stop gap while a younger guy maybe emerges.

If he has another solid season and wants to continue player I could see him signing short term deals to stay in Buffalo. Sounds like he really loves it there and his and Matt moulsons families are extremely close. They all live in the same neighborhood. Godparents to each others kids and such.

He’ll be 35 at the end of next season. With the injuries he’s sustained over the years I can’t imagine he has many more years left. We’ll see. I’ll always root for him.

I think he could carve out a niche helping players who are suffering from mental health issues like he had, he seemed really big on that. Hopefully he sticks around the NHL in some capacity.

Reactions: Mike C and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think he could carve out a niche helping players who are suffering from mental health issues like he had, he seemed really big on that. Hopefully he sticks around the NHL in some capacity.
It’s funny you say that. Watching the interview I couldn’t help but think he’s one of those guys that will be around the game after he retires helping players in some capacity.

I also loved the way he spoke about the coliseum. It reiterated the fans sentiment of “it’s a dump, but it’s our dump”
Besides being outdated Needing serious upgrades it was still such a great arena to watch and experience hockey. Visiting players hated it but anyone who played for the isles seems to have the same feelings of loving playing there.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm surprised they did not ask about the rumors of the eye injury. I heard everything from a house party where some drunk guest threw something at him, to his kid had a tantrum and threw a toy firetruck at his face to his wife and he got into a fight and she threw something at him lol

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm surprised they did not ask about the rumors of the eye injury. I heard everything from a house party where some drunk guest threw something at him, to his kid had a tantrum and threw a toy firetruck at his face to his wife and he got into a fight and she threw something at him lol

The detached retina? He mentioned it during the interview briefly, but wasn't that attributed to a hit he took?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The detached retina? He mentioned it during the interview briefly, but wasn't that attributed to a hit he took?

Was said to be but some of the long time "insiders" claimed it was not. One thing I have learned over the years is that the Isles being in a small niche area many stories are hard to keep in check. Travis Green missing the entire start to the 97-98 season which they claimed was an injury he had fixed in summer was actually him tearing his ACL playing bball with friends...its amazing how nowadays that would be disclosed but back then you could lie and most would never find out

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Yet it goes back to the age old argument here. If Tavares truly wanted to go back home I cannot blame him. But speak the f*** up and just be honest.
yeah but the problem with that logic is then JT knew he would have been traded somewhere else and he didn’t want to deal with that inconvenience.

The problem was Snow believed he would stay and that was the end of his big GM adventure.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
What a great interview. KO is just a really good dude. Glad to hear he's doing well again.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Always one of my favorite all-time Isles. Underrated skill, and when he put his work boots on, watch out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad