Podcast (Audio) Okposo on Spittin' Chiclets

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Have a long drive today so I'll probably finish the episode tonight. I think they mentioned they did a Sandbagger (one of their 2v2 golf outings) against Okposo and Moulson so I'll be looking for that too.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Garth Snow getting the GM job because he won at fantasy hockey and recommendation by DP

Still very close with a lot of current Isles

Him and Moulson are godfathers to each other’s kid. The Moulson trade was not well received in the room

Billy Guerin and Doug Weight, hilarious

Believes JT was always gonna go to Toronto. The pull of going home was too strong

No contract extension from Isles. Buffalo deal got done on golf course

The concussion recovery story was terrifying and I’m so glad he is okay and playing today. Highly recommend giving it a listen. Moulson was on recently too and he had Isles stories as well

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Garth Snow getting the GM job because he won at fantasy hockey and recommendation by DP

Still very close with a lot of current Isles

Him and Moulson are godfathers to each other’s kid. The Moulson trade was not well received in the room

Billy Guerin and Doug Weight, hilarious

Believes JT was always gonna go to Toronto. The pull of going home was too strong

No contract extension from Isles. Buffalo deal got done on golf course

The concussion recovery story was terrifying and I’m so glad he is okay and playing today. Highly recommend giving it a listen. Moulson was on recently too and he had Isles stories as well
Just means he was an even bigger liar than thought (Tavares, not Okposo)

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If they couldn't bait TOR in with Dumbo & Co. (and no Lou), then would he go to Buffalo because it was close to home? ala JG.

The guy kept his options open. He never knew TOR was going to be an option. The TOR option presented itself as soon as Lou was moved out. Dumbo & Co. signing JT was 100% the opposite of what Lou was building there and has had a direct impact on them building a team since that time.

Reactions: MAHJ71

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
He's still my avatar, so I obviously was a big fan. Nice interview.

I do not believe KO was saying he always thought Snake was going to TOR.

I think he said Snake always intended to stay on LI, but once he tested FA and the offer to go to TO was real that the allure/pull to be "the guy" to bring them the cup after growing up there was too strong to resist.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
I felt They gave up on Kyle right when he seemed to finally show some value as a player. That would be the playoffs. His skating and size just made him seem to be more effective in the playoffs. For most of his career he was basically a huge let down. I can still visualize the newsday article when he was drafted. How he's going to lead the isles to cups. Almost the same article for when berard was drafted. Then we got to see him play and ..it was obvious this guy was a 20 goal score not 35 to 45 goal scorer. I do feel like he was always representing those islander teams well, when I thought about the isles to me he was the face of the team even when JT showed up. It always seemed like it was his team.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m not sure that’s possible.

Reminds me of an old golf joke.

A terrible golfer shoots 120 and starts yelling at his caddie and says “ You must be the worst caddie in the world.”

The caddie replies “I don’t think so sir. That would be too much of a coincidence.”

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He's still my avatar, so I obviously was a big fan. Nice interview.

I do not believe KO was saying he always thought Snake was going to TOR.

I think he said Snake always intended to stay on LI, but once he tested FA and the offer to go to TO was real that the allure/pull to be "the guy" to bring them the cup after growing up there was too strong to resist.

Tavares should have talked to Stamkos more, and maybe less poolside conversation/weeping with Aryne, about why Stamkos stayed far away from Toronto, despite it also being home.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
IFor most of his career he was basically a huge let down. I can still visualize the newsday article when he was drafted. How he's going to lead the isles to cups. Almost the same article for when berard was drafted. Then we got to see him play and ..it was obvious this guy was a 20 goal score not 35 to 45 goal scorer.
Then the hype was unreasonable. He was the 7th overall pick, and he's 8th in the draft class in goals & points. The only clearly better players in that draft were Marchand, Toews, Backstrom, Giroux, and Kessel. Nobody knew what Marchand would become.

The real disappointment was Garth Snow, who absolutely botched the 2013 offseason - going into it with an obviously shot Nabokov, and never-was Poulin, wasting Okposo's best year. (The Visnovsky injury was also a killer.) I really think that season set the team back, and laid the groundwork for Tavares eventually leaving.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Great interview, I always liked KO since Ted Nolan called his name at the draft. Unbelievable story with his concussion and how he over came that. Interesting to hear about the DP signing and Neil Smith not knowing about it and quit once he found out from Wang. Also cool to hear about Crosby and even at such a young age people looked up to him and KO watching him practice just to see how unbelievable he was at what 15-16 years old.

Nice to hear him speak so glowingly about Long Island and the team. Really amazing guy, even going as far as saying he was ready to go to game 1 of Cup Final had the Isles beat Tampa in game 7.

Great job by KO, happy to hear he's healthy and appreciate his appreciation to Long Island and his time spent there.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Then the hype was unreasonable. He was the 7th overall pick, and he's 8th in the draft class in goals & points. The only clearly better players in that draft were Marchand, Toews, Backstrom, Giroux, and Kessel. Nobody knew what Marchand would become.

The real disappointment was Garth Snow, who absolutely botched the 2013 offseason - going into it with an obviously shot Nabokov, and never-was Poulin, wasting Okposo's best year. (The Visnovsky injury was also a killer.) I really think that season set the team back, and laid the groundwork for Tavares eventually leaving.
The Viz injury was the killer. He was so underrated and smooth at the transition. Once he was out, the Isles were toast.

Reactions: JKP

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

The thing after that 2013 offseason was that a year later Snow got the team back on track with Leddy, Boychuk, Kulemin, Grabo. I mean what an offseason.

I really think the contrast of both of those offseason goes to show why Snow was a poor GM. Never knew when to pull the trigger or how often to do it.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Before Tavares landed with the NYI, Okposo was their best prospect and he proved he was, although not elite, a great player with a great personality. I was happy to see his “revival” in Buffalo last season, after looking done for a stretch (injuries will do that to anyone).

Reactions: Olliemets

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
What a great interview. KO is still one of my favorites as many have said. We always knew the Garf Snow stuff was unbelievable shallow. Nice that he said look, Garf "had to learn on the fly." Obviously would make mistakes but overall was an "good GM."

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The thing after that 2013 offseason was that a year later Snow got the team back on track with Leddy, Boychuk, Kulemin, Grabo. I mean what an offseason.

I really think the contrast of both of those offseason goes to show why Snow was a poor GM. Never knew when to pull the trigger or how often to do it.

Okposo mentions the struggle Snow appeared to have going from player to GM and his inability to make tough choices because he was so close to the players and was loyal. As time went on I think we saw Snow a bit more willing to make tough choices but it was too little too late. Also, sometimes it seemed like he was making changes because he thought that's what he should be doing, not because it was the correct move.

I was really tired of Okposo by the time he left, and it turned out to be great timing to let him go. He had a lot of untapped potential and probably would've been such a better player if there was a better coaching staff and management during his time here. Still appreciate the kind words he had about the fans and the Coliseum, he's a likeable guy for sure.

Reactions: Sheva7

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
We had a poster who used to spend his days criticizing how people wanted "scoring" and fantasy hockey and the "nu" NHL. Well, guess what, that can get you a job as a GM!

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad