WGR: Okposo is impressed with Ralph Krueger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres' Okposo is impressed with Ralph Krueger
Am I the only one that gets nervous reading these platitudes about Krueger?

“Just a phenomenal guy, I just went to dinner with him and a couple of the other guys and we may have talked hockey for 15-20 minutes out of two hours and we were picking his brain about his life and his experiences, but he’s just a really personable guy, genuine and an interesting guy. I’ve talked to a few guys that played for him in Edmonton and they had nothing but great things to say about him and how he treated them and just how he was as a person first and foremost and then as a coach second, so I think that speaks volumes of his character.”

Kyle likes the new players, says he has to be better and so do his teammates.

Okposo talks about the system:
“It’s simplifying, I mentioned to Ralph that I wanted to get back to using my instincts more as opposed to thinking and I think for a hockey player, that’s really important. Players will tell you they’re at their best when they’re not thinking out there.”

I guess that means Sobotka will never get any better.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I guess that means Sobotka will never get any better.

Do we want him to get amazingly better? Just get good enough to not be a liability, then have some stupid GM sign him to some dumb contract to screw over their cap. Just don't get good enough so we start talking about signing him long term.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Do we want him to get amazingly better? Just get good enough to not be a liability, then have some stupid GM sign him to some dumb contract to screw over their cap. Just don't get good enough so we start talking about signing him long term.

Frankly I hope he's so bad during preseason nobody has to suffer through watching him in Buffalo during the regular season.

Jettison him out of town to a bench/bus in Rochester or loan him out somewhere. He's already got an entire section booked in his name on the next rocket to the sun....

I'm just worried the next Krueger interview will have him talking about how Sobotka is in the "best condition of his career" and we'll have to churn through excuses for another season.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27798

I wonder who the other players were that were with them at dinner?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah this doesn't reveal anything good. Not a suprise Krueger is a nice guy.

Still trying to figure out what "thinking less" on the ice looks like for okposo.

I’ve talked to a few guys that played for him in Edmonton and they had nothing but great things to say about him and how he treated them and just how he was as a person first and foremost and then as a coach second, so I think that speaks volumes of his character...I wasn’t happy with the way things ended, I wasn’t happy with Phil getting fired...Call it a fluke, call it what you want, but when we started the year the way we did last year, the bones are in here...

None of this is reassuring. It points to a pretty big disconnect between the players and knowing what it will take to actually win

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
One of the worst headlines of an article ever.

I didn't read the article, so no comment on the rest.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am not worried.
I am still enthralled in endorphines
Since Housley is gone.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Rumors have it that he went without his glasses that day and met with Freddy instead of Ralph.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Okposo talks about the system:
“It’s simplifying, I mentioned to Ralph that I wanted to get back to using my instincts more as opposed to thinking and I think for a hockey player, that’s really important. Players will tell you they’re at their best when they’re not thinking out there.”
He couldn't even stick to his new strategy for more than 1 word.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Great to hear the players - especially a vet like Okposo - have such good things to say. It's definitely in line with what we've been hearing from guys who have played for Ralph in the past.

Very excited to see what they can do with a great coach.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Players were high on Housley as well.

It's time to show and prove rather than have myself gather false hopes on feel good stories.

The joy of hockey has actually been crushed from my soul, the suffering of this rebuild has been worse than I could of imagined and I was all for the tear down rebuild.

Please just win Buffalo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah this doesn't reveal anything good. Not a suprise Krueger is a nice guy.

Still trying to figure out what "thinking less" on the ice looks like for okposo.

None of this is reassuring. It points to a pretty big disconnect between the players and knowing what it will take to actually win

Generally, this means that the players want a system that is easier to play within and that they can just play reflexively and not think about everything.

Thinking about what the next play needs to be or what they are responsible for makes the team slower because it adds in reaction time that doesn't help anything.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This will be a very telling season.

Krueger has a history of getting players to buy in and play above the sum of their parts. If that doesn't happen here then there are huge problems with the makeup of the players on this roster.

For all us long suffering fans lets just hope that Krueger gets these guys playing for one another and we see positive steps from the kids and that there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

Another brutal year and a new path for a rebuild will probably break me.:D

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
That not enough. He has to drown kittens too.
“Just a phenomenal guy, I just went to dinner with him and a couple of the other guys and we may have talked hockey for 15-20 minutes out of two hours and we were picking his brain about drowning kittens and his experiences with screaming at babies, but he’s just a really personable guy, genuine and an interesting guy. I’ve talked to a few guys that played for him in Edmonton and they had nothing but great things to say about him and how he treated them and just how he was as a person that hated puppies first and foremost and then as a dirtbag second, so I think that speaks volumes of his character.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad