Trade: [OKC/LAC] Paul George for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Danilo Gallinari, 5 1st round picks, and 2 swaps

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Most of those guys are average, not good, and Kawhi is a terrible passer.

You don't have to be great passers if you can score as well as Kawhi and PG13 can. They're more than capable of driving and kicking the ball out. All they'll need Beverley and Shamet to do is to take open 3's, or swing it to the next guy open. It doesn't take Chris Paul-like passing skills.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Last year for both will be player options so its only 3 and 2 years guaranteed. That trade has the potential to be a franchise killer down the line. The bulk of the picks are way down the line .

Very true, plus getting SGA was pretty good. Just funny it comes like exactly 1 year from the day PG resigned against all odds.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like this for everyone involved. It's a ton to give up for the Clippers but they reportedly weren't getting Kawhi without PG so you're basically trading all of those assets for the two of them. You get arguably the best player in the NBA and another All-NBA guy. You take the risk with those future picks all day.

OKC was going nowhere with this current group so using the Clippers desperation to get all of those assets was great for them. I'm not sure if I entirely buy the talk of them having no choice but to trade PG either. To me it seems like they saw this as a perfect opportunity to reset/rebuild because they knew they peaked and it was only going to get worse. PG asking for a trade is probably a blessing in disguise because now they can cut costs and rebuild without looking bad and/or cheap. Just blame it all on PG's trade demand and keep it moving.

I think we all underestimated or once again just didn't know Kawhi at all as well. While everyone assumed he was just having a hard time deciding, he was really making power moves behind the scenes and giving the Clippers an ultimatum. He's a straight killer.

Reactions: Voight and Ivan13

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So where does Westbrook get traded to now?

Or if you're OKC, do you run with this squad?

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Is anyone who denounced LeBron/Klutch for how the AD trade was handled gonna say anything about how Kawhi recruited a player under contract and forced OKC's hand?

Reactions: Gains

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Is anyone who denounced LeBron/Klutch for how the AD trade was handled gonna say anything about how Kawhi recruited a player under contract and forced OKC's hand?

Player to player tampering is widely accepted, and the league really doesn't have a choice either way.

Its a really dirty business but what're you gonna do. Can't prevent players from calling each other :dunno:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
At this point, Westbrook should bounce out of OKC.
Miami maybe a possibility for him, he needs a fresh start and so do OKC...

That window is closed.

Greek Freak

Jul 6, 2019
I feel bad for OKC, window has closed and a rebuild looms. How long before Russ asks a trade as well?

Well i kinda saw this coming because they have been a getting destroyed in the first round for 3 years now so there was time to make some changes. I think Russell is going to be traded but were will he go Toronto?. But the thunder are trying to rebuild and are gonna have some pretty good prospects with picking up shai and a bunch of those first rounders.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think this is a bad trade for the Clippers. Way too much to give away. Only real positive is George has a reasonable contract.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think this is a bad trade for the Clippers. Way too much to give away. Only real positive is George has a reasonable contract.
This is not the NHL. Low picks aren't worth all that much, and they got rid of Galinari too bot. The only thing that matters is winning the trophy, and getting him brings them closer to that. Also, without George, there is no Leonard.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol I didn't see this one in particular coming at all...considering this all happened in the middle of the night Friday that's the definition of an East Coast news dump :sarcasm:

I had no idea any of this happened (Leonard or George) till Saturday night when I clicked on the Athletic site and found an article about Leonard and George joining the Clippers, I was like what?!

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is not the NHL. Low picks aren't worth all that much, and they got rid of Galinari too bot. The only thing that matters is winning the trophy, and getting him brings them closer to that. Also, without George, there is no Leonard.

I wouldn't assume first rounders in 2024 and 2026 or a pick swap in 2025 would be low value considering Kawhi and George would be older and their contracts are up by then. Miami's unprotected 2021 first could be a lottery pick too. But yes I agree with the sentiment, you only get so many chances to get the brass ring in the NBA, especially a team like the Clippers whereas a team like the Lakers or Celtics always seems to find a way to land on their feet.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It is, but they weren't going to sign Kawhi without PG.

Presti was able to extract literally anything he wanted from them and used that as leverage. Very good GMing by him, especially once he pit the Clips and Raps against each other. He knew one of those teams would do whatever it was going to take to get Leonard in their colors.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
You give up that package 10/10 times if it ends up with you having two top-10 players on your team, especially when you factor in the depth the Clippers have.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The trade is a true win win. Khawi wasn't coming without PG, so whatever the cost, it's worth it. For OKC it gives them a huge haul and they can abort the path they are on which had a fairly low ceiling. I think moving on from Russ would make sense too and it sounds like he's open too it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
its the clippers so everyone will just look the other way

I'm not even a Laker fan and it's kinda slimy how the whole thing went down.

Recruiting to be free agents is one thing.

Asking a guy who had 2 guaranteed years left to demand a trade is another thing.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm not even a Laker fan and it's kinda slimy how the whole thing went down.

Recruiting to be free agents is one thing.

Asking a guy who had 2 guaranteed years left to demand a trade is another thing.

yeah imagine if lebron had done that. ooohhh boy

the clippers made the right move but the media spin has been hilarious. the clippers give up a ton of picks and a very good young talent in SGA and its a "home run." the lakers make a similar deal (for a better player) and its "they gave up way too much," "sacrificed their future," etc

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Poor Teriyaki always playing the victim. What else is new. He must've dodged the pro-Laker side of the media. Go hang out with Shannon Sharpe, Chris Broussard or that f***head RDAmbition.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Poor Teriyaki always playing the victim. What else is new. He must've dodged the pro-Laker side of the media. Go hang out with Shannon Sharpe, Chris Broussard or that ****head RDAmbition.

you're telling me there would have been zero backlash if lebron had done that?

or are you in denial over the fact that the PG trade was widely lauded by the media while the lakers were accused if giving up too much for a better player? not to mention no one uttered a peep about kawhi scheming with a guy under contract to demand a trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad