OK, so there are trades. Now what?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
There will be trading allowed in ATD2011. Now we need to know how trades will be handled. First of all:

- Trading of all your picks to another team for all of theirs, prior to either of you making a selection, is allowed and will not count as a trade if we vote on a limited trading option.

- There will be a trading committee that can veto questionable trades as quickly as possible, meaning a trade has to be instantly reworked and if it can't be, the pick still stands... only it's made by the team that was trying to trade the pick. Don't like it? Don't make a lopsided deal that is at risk of veto.

So here are some options:

- 1. Wild West. Anyone can trade with anyone, as often as possible.

- 2. Limited Trading. Three trades per team, maximum.

- 3. Trade conference, no-trade conference. (this has other logistical issues, such as what to do about draft order since the divisions are supposed to be based on it, as well as that it's doubtful exactly 20 teams will want to be in the no-trade conference, but if this option is the most popular we can work these things out) - keep in mind that if this option is the most popular the trading conference rules will be whichever option is the next-most popular.

- 4. Wild west, but no trading out of a round. (really really safe trades only!) - this could be done in conjunction with options 2 and/or 3, but there should be no need to do that since these trades will have little more than cosmetic effects on the draft.

rank the four choices. I'll assign points to them using a 3-2-1-0 system and hopefully within 24 hours we know what's happening.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Since about 40% don't want any trades, it makes sense to have a trade and a non-trade conference. Choose your conference, random placement within the divisions. My vote 3-4-1-2:

3. Trade conference, no-trade conference. (this has other logistical issues, such as what to do about draft order since the divisions are supposed to be based on it, as well as that it's doubtful exactly 20 teams will want to be in the no-trade conference, but if this option is the most popular we can work these things out)
Those who clearly want trades, put in trade conference. Those who prefer no trade conference, go there. Those that don't care fit in the remaining spots.

Random draft order followed by random placement within divisions within the chosen conference (quite an easy process: put 1st overall in the first division of the conference they chose; put 2nd overall in the next slot,, whether that be 2nd division of the same conference as 1st overall team or 1st division of the other conference.

If this option is voted for.

Step 1: Find out who wants to be in Trade Conference and who wants to be in Non-trade Conference.
Step 2: Assign the don't-cares to the remaining spots.
Step 3: Random draft order.
Step 4: Assign to divisions based on draft order with just one constraint: slot them into the next divisional opening within the conference they have chosen.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's quite feasible that someone who didn't want trades, would want everyone to play by the exact same rules and not to be in a separate no-trade conference.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Can someone please explain what the benefit of having a no-trade conference is? Obviously, nobody is forcing you to trade if you don't want to.

If the problem with trades is they put some teams at a competitive advantage, how is banning trades from one conference a solution?

Edit: I mean, if half the GMs really want to prohibit themselves from trading, while the rest of us can trade to our hearts' content, I don't think it's my place to stop them...

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
S

Step 1: Find out who wants to be in Trade Conference and who wants to be in Non-trade Conference.

I didn't vote in the last poll because I didn't really care if trades were allowed or not

But if trades are allowed in only one conference? Put me down for the least restrictive conference possible. Because I'm in this thing for 3 more or less equal reasons: 1) to have fun, 2) to learn about hockey history, 3) to win. And I'm not going to give myself less of a chance of winning the thing by willingly handcuffing myself.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I LOVE the no trade conference idea, because at the end of the day, what will happen is we will get to see if trading benefits a team or it doesn't, because the finals will be trade vs. no trade team. The more I think about it, the more I think that it NEEDS to happen. And hell, if I really HAVE to..

3, 4, 2, 1

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In a 40 team draft, 3 trades per team seems kind of low, no? Anyone else have thoughts?

(My first thought is that I like the idea of limited trading, but is 3 too limited?)

I agree, I think 3 is a starting point, and if the trade-happy GMs say they want more, we could look at 4 or 5 for sure.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I LOVE the no trade conference idea, because at the end of the day, what will happen is we will get to see if trading benefits a team or it doesn't, because the finals will be trade vs. no trade team. The more I think about it, the more I think that it NEEDS to happen. And hell, if I really HAVE to..

3, 4, 2, 1

I'm mostly worried that teams that willingly go the "no trade" route will end up getting upset about trades allowed in the trading conference....

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It is idiotic. And I can picture you as one of the GMs deciding to join the no-trade conference and then later complaining about trades allowed in the other conference... lol.

Why? It won't affect me until the finals, so I wouldn't care.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
It is idiotic. And I can picture you as one of the GMs deciding to join the no-trade conference and then later complaining about trades allowed in the other conference... lol.

Zing!

I've already stress how I think option #3 is BY FAR the worst option. I would take a no-trade ATD 10-time before that. Everyone should play by the same rule.

2, 1, 4, 3

I think 3 trades maximum is fine. You could make it 5, but not much. At least the trades that will be made will be significant.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
why can't this non-trading conference idea just die? there were 8 GMs who didn't want to trade, you need another 12 to complete the conference, why handcuff them? You know, if you don't want to trade, nobody forces you, ignore every offer and make your pick, it's not that difficult.

This disussion is getting really tiresome, can we start drafting?

Oh, and 1-2-4-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad