Post-Game Talk: Oilgasms Galore! • 16-7-3 • 1st in the West

Oct 15, 2008
Uh ... Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse? Our two best D this year.

Really how much input did he even have on that Ethan Bear pick, the 1st/2nd round picks are the ones the GM has the most sway on, after that it's largely on the scouts because no chance a GM is going to have time to watch players in the 4th/5th round type of pick.

Chia's "additions" to our D are really Larsson, Benning, Reinhart, and Manning.

His forward additions are Lucic, Eberle to Strome to Spooner (turned into Gagner), Kassian.

Chiasson was given a try out at the insistence of Glen Gulutzan who coached him in Calgary.

The reason we have Bouchard and Broberg in our pool is because of his management failures, a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on it should be a playoff team at minimum.
Bouchard, Bear, Jones, Samorukov, we have depth for the first time in many many years and the defence before he got here was a complete disaster, which is why he was forced to make moves which obviously backfired, but still something needed to be done. Doing nothing wasn’t an option. Fact is this year’s team and future teams are going to benefit from the depth that Chia helped to create.

Reactions: Aerchon

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
Bouchard, Bear, Jones, Samorukov, we have depth for the first time in many many years and the defence before he got here was a complete disaster, which is why he was forced to make moves which obviously backfired, but still something needed to be done. Doing nothing wasn’t an option. Fact is this year’s team and future teams are going to benefit from the depth that Chia helped to create.

So he drafted a few dmen, but shipped out our skilled forwards for nothing, he destroyed this team with all his moves.

Fact is this team and future team would of benefited more with the Picks for Reinhart and whatever outlandish return could of been had for Hall instead of 1 for 1 for a defensive dman

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Jones, Samorukov haven't proven shit yet, to be honest I'm not that impressed with Jones yet.

Bouchard they have because of a season that never should have happened, they never should've tanked that season with McDavid and Draisaitl, that's unacceptable.

Bear is the only one he's added and I doubt he even had much input on that pick, Klefbom and Nurse were added by Tambellini and Mac T, do they get a ton of credit too?

Reactions: RegDunlop

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Colorado game is Thanksgiving Eve so they'll be 1st in the division at Thanksgiving no matter what happens in that game or in other words, well above the cut line.

They've built a large moat around their playoff castle with this start to use a Rishaugism.

Is it a moat or a trench?

BFB5F4A1-9E15-4CA0-89DC-212A030AB8EE.jpeg

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Uh ... Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse? Our two best D this year.

Really how much input did he even have on that Ethan Bear pick, the 1st/2nd round picks are the ones the GM has the most sway on, after that it's largely on the scouts because no chance a GM is going to have time to watch players in the 4th/5th round type of pick.

Chia's "additions" to our D are really Larsson, Benning, Reinhart, and Manning.

His forward additions are Lucic, Eberle to Strome to Spooner (turned into Gagner), Kassian.

Chiasson was given a try out at the insistence of Glen Gulutzan who coached him in Calgary.

The reason we have Bouchard and Broberg in our pool is because of his management failures, a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on it should be a playoff team at minimum.

not a chia fan at all, but i will give him crdit for his contracts. He got McDavid and Drai locked long term at good prices and klef to an amazing deal 7 years at 4.1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not a chia fan at all, but i will give him crdit for his contracts. He got McDavid and Drai locked long term at good prices and klef to an amazing deal 7 years at 4.1

The McDavid and Draisaitl deals are purely the market rate at the time, Mac T could've negiotated the same deals.

Klefbom, alright, but that was a hell of a risk actually to give him that contract with like 50 NHL games experience, what would've happened if the player didn't work out.

This is the sign of a stupid GM, taking way too many wild risks. It's the equivalent of saying you're going to pay your debt/bills by going to Vegas and play the tables .... I mean, theoretically you could pull it off and win from time to time. That doesn't make it an advisable strategy constantly.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The McDavid and Draisaitl deals are purely the market rate at the time, Mac T could've negiotated the same deals.

Klefbom, alright, but that was a hell of a risk actually to give him that contract with like 50 NHL games experience, what would've happened if the player didn't work out.

This is the sign of a stupid GM, taking way too many wild risks. It's the equivalent of saying you're going to pay your debt/bills by going to Vegas and play the tables .... I mean, theoretically you could pull it off and win from time to time. That doesn't make it an advisable strategy constantly.
lol everyone hated the drai deal, there was no consensus at the time it was market.

Reactions: guymez

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Great game but very frustrating to watch. Man I hate playing the yotes.

Kosk solid again. He's really been stellar this year. Bottom 6 looked very good, and Granlund gets another important goal.

Jones taking some more chances. He still looks rough out there and makes mistakes but I like that he's growing his game. And Klef is just superb at making sure his partner doesn't fail.

Oh and I loved hearing the "let's Go Oilers" chant in the first.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think they need to start rewarding Koskinen more. He has been absolutely stellar while Smith has had some shaky games (he generally follows it up with a good start)

That being said Koskinen has been better and I think it’s time to start giving him the larger share of starts. I’m not saying ride him for 15 games straight but in my opinion he should start getting 2-4 starts to every 1 for Smith.

Oct 15, 2008
They likely would have had a better team had they stood pat after winning the draft lotto.
Changes had to be made, and Chia recognized this, but the Hall trade was a disaster, as was the Reinhart deal, the things he did to try and fix the mess the previous regime left him just didn’t work out. The team had zero organizational depth and no real depth at the nhl level either, other than some good young forwards or at least they were perceived to be good by some, really their true value was overinflated. Fact is they just aren’t as good as many thought they were.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Dear god imagine how good that contract would look if he was locked up for this long for under 8?

If Chia followed the RFA market that year, Draisaitl would be making 6.5-7.5 per year, more inline with a comparable guy at a comparable age.

Who's that you ask?

David Pastrnak.

6 x 6.66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad