Oilers youth lead the way

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Our future looks pretty dam good, assuming we can keep the team together. I know I'm not saying anything that isn't already known, but after looking at our team scoring stats today I realized *just* how much we are depending on exceptionally young players to lead the way. The great part is that they ARE leading the way.

Here is what our leading scorers list looks like this morning:

Hall - 7gp, 2g, 7a, 9p, 21 years old
Gagner - 7gp, 3g, 5a, 8p, 23 years old
Eberle - 7gp, 3g, 4a, 7p, 22 years old
Yakupov - 7gp, 4g, 1a, 5p, 19 years old (and a rookie)
Schultz - 7gp, 2g, 3a, 5p, 22 years old (and a rookie)
RNH - 7gp, 0g, 5a, 5p, 19 years old

That is 6 players who are almost all averaging 1 PPG, with an average age of 21 years old and 2 raw rookies. The rookies are very likely to become much better players and 1 of the group (RNH) has not been playing up to his standards. Even if you accept the idea that Hall, Eberle and Gagner won't get any better (which I don't believe for a second), the group as a whole should improve drastically in the coming 1-2 years.

Again, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said already, but this really is remarkable. I can't personally remember the last time that a team was being led by a group of players this young. Not in recent history anyhow.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Our future looks pretty dam good, assuming we can keep the team together. I know I'm not saying anything that isn't already known, but after looking at our team scoring stats today I realized *just* how much we are depending on exceptionally young players to lead the way. The great part is that they ARE leading the way.

Here is what our leading scorers list looks like this morning:

Hall - 7gp, 2g, 7a, 9p, 21 years old
Gagner - 7gp, 3g, 5a, 8p, 23 years old
Eberle - 7gp, 3g, 4a, 7p, 22 years old
Yakupov - 7gp, 4g, 1a, 5p, 19 years old (and a rookie)
Schultz - 7gp, 2g, 3a, 5p, 22 years old (and a rookie)
RNH - 7gp, 0g, 5a, 5p, 19 years old

That is 6 players who are almost all averaging 1 PPG, with an average age of 21 years old and 2 raw rookies. The rookies are very likely to become much better players and 1 of the group (RNH) has not been playing up to his standards. Even if you accept the idea that Hall, Eberle and Gagner won't get any better (which I don't believe for a second), the group as a whole should improve drastically in the coming 1-2 years.

Again, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said already, but this really is remarkable. I can't personally remember the last time that a team was being led by a group of players this young. Not in recent history anyhow.

Best part is reading the GDT mentioning how the first line is "struggling" yet they are producing like crazy:laugh:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I love that Krueger has been playing them in all situations. Hall was great last night in the final minutes.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Looking forward to seeing Klefbomb as a part of our great young group moving into the future too. I have very high hopes for him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It's a treat to watch this young talent. And I see people are worried about the nuge. Sure he might be snake bitten as far as goals are concerned but he made a couple of beauty passes last night, specifically the one on Hall's goal. He is also a great backchecker. I'm not worried about him one bit

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Gotta love the way the top line cycled the puck last night, especially considering they were doing it mostly against the Thornton line. That's the kind of zone pressure I haven't seen for awhile from this team.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
The scary thing is none of them with the exception of maybe Gagner and Schultz have even hit their stride. There's still a hand full of plays every game where Eberle or Yakupov will pass I a higher percentage play to make a pass, I don't think these guys are at 80% yet, but the point totals and production are still there nonetheless.

On top of that, credit to Ryan Smyth who seems to have found his game on this road trip.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Looking forward to seeing Klefbomb as a part of our great young group moving into the future too. I have very high hopes for him.

Hartikainen and Paajarvi would also be good complimentary players for us going forward.. Power forwards take a bit longer so Harti has the potential to possibly become a core player going forward.

Dubey might just work out as well.

Should be a fun team to watch the next 5 years or so.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

Klefobom has lost a significant amount of time these last few years due to injury and we've seen countless promising prospects amount to very little for for that very reason. These are critical development years, and I just hope the time missed doesn't hurt him too much. I'm definitely not willing to pencil him into our NHL lineup in the next year or two quite yet.

But from all accounts, he was outstanding before his injury and he was starting to look like he could play in this league already.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
More importantly, Horcoff is finally the third C in TOI/G, which also includes Belanger taking more SHFO and more SHTOI/G than him. Finally some proper coaching, Potter/Fistric thing notwithstanding....

But we are definitely seeing improvement, and it is fun to watch.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Out of all of this, the one I am most surprised and impressed by is Gagner. He's looked great so far this season, and hopefully this could finally be the season he comes to potential.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Out of all of this, the one I am most surprised and impressed by is Gagner. He's looked great so far this season, and hopefully this could finally be the season he comes to potential.

He was good last season. No one noticed the jump he made defensively last year, he seemed to always be the first one back.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
More importantly, Horcoff is finally the third C in TOI/G, which also includes Belanger taking more SHFO and more SHTOI/G than him. Finally some proper coaching, Potter/Fistric thing notwithstanding....

But we are definitely seeing improvement, and it is fun to watch.

I think Kruger is doing this on purpose to make it seem like he has flaws.. The guy is actually a god!!

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
He was good last season. No one noticed the jump he made defensively last year, he seemed to always be the first one back.

Could be true, I admittedly haven't been a fan long enough to notice defensive contributions too much yet.

I think Kruger is doing this on purpose to make it seem like he has flaws.. The guy is actually a god!!

So what you're saying is the moment people write him off as bad, he will immediately return to Voldemort-killing-badass form and become the best Defenseman in the league?

That plan is so crazy! And it just might work!

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
My concern:

The kids are great and the first line just gets better and better every game. Schultz is getting out muscled but that will change.

But outside the first line things are grim. We need support players badly. Crash and bangers and some Jones-type energy players.

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
Smid 1pts -3 (Not bad for a stay at home d-man)
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

The +/- is to contrast our top line including J. Schultz, who are averaging +2 to +4.
We're not winning **** until our supporting cast is providing some good secondary support either by creating offensive zone faceoffs, generating powerplays, or scoring some dirty goals.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
My concern:

The kids are great and the first line just gets better and better every game. Schultz is getting out muscled but that will change.

But outside the first line things are grim. We need support players badly. Crash and bangers and some Jones-type energy players.

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

The +/- is to contrast our top line including J. Schultz, who are averaging +2 to +4.
We're not winning **** until our supporting cast is providing some good secondary support either by creating offensive zone faceoffs, generating powerplays, or scoring some dirty goals.

most teams have a lot of scoring trouble beyond their top-6, it's not like we're unusual in that regard at all... i agree that getting points from hemsky, smyth and such would be great, but i don't know how likely it is to happen

i agree that getting jones back in the lineup will be a good shot in the arm... he's a good 3rd line energy player, and would create some battles for playing time on the bottom 6... getting eager back would be nice as well to be honest

blueracer17

Sep 27, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
If Nuge plays excellent D then the offense will come. Not worried about him in the slightest.

The fact that Nuge has upped his defensive prowess this year shows that he is engaged in the games and not getting frustrated with his relative lack of offensive output. His cerebral approach to the game shows in his defense and will get him going offensively shortly. I don't think a sophomore slump is going to happen to RNH.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think as the season progresess more and more players will be taking a run at J.Schultz.. Seem to be the plan of opponents as he keeps piling up big minutes and points.

I liked the fire he brought after getting destroyed behind his own net.. rushed right back in and had 2 great scoring chances..

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think as the season progresess more and more players will be taking a run at J.Schultz.. Seem to be the plan of opponents as he keeps piling up big minutes and points.

I liked the fire he brought after getting destroyed behind his own net.. rushed right back in and had 2 great scoring chances..

Ya its getting to the point I want Hordichuk to just go pummel someone and see if it deters anyone. Guys are really targeting Schultz and trying to run him through the boards

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
My concern:

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

I would even include the top line into the mix.. We have scored what 7 ES goals in 7GP.. Petrell had one, Horc one, Gagner one .. Eberle sniped 2 home and Hall had one yesterday but there really isnt much production 5on5..

I dont think we have many passengers in the lineup.. Kruger is getting max effort from everyone on the roster.. It is just too bad that guys like Whitney Potter and Smyth dont have much left to offer.

As long as the depth players keep cycling the puck and drawing penalties we dont need them to score goals..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad