GDT: oilers/yotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
But Connor, as you note, is going to get those top pairing assignments regardless. Why continue to stick him with a soft, slow, lazy winger who has goals in something like six of his last 35 games? Why reward such an inept player with that kind of ice-time? Why stifle what little creativity that line CAN generate against the OELs of the world by keeping it intact?

I mean, look to the Penguins for an example of how to do this right:

Conor Sheary-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Chris Kunitz-Evgeni Malkin-Patric Hornqvist
Carl Hagelin-Nick Bonino-Phil Kessel
Scott Wilson-Matt Cullen-Eric Fehr

Notice how they shelter their version of Eberle on the third line, rather than stacking the top unit. Notice also how they have plenty of two-way aptitude to babysit a player who is normally a 5 on 5 liability.

Todd's lines are yet another example of him being completely unable to adjust to the realities of the game and the strengths/weaknesses of his roster. He's a coach whose reputation is solely based on the talented teams he had in San Jose- a team, you might have noticed, that got better immediately after he left. He's going to do the same here, holding the Oilers back in the process.

One can argue that Lucic and Eberle are overpaid version of Rust and Sheary.
TMac is stacking the 2nd and 3rd line by putting 2 bums on McDavids line ala PIT.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Screw this annoying ****ing streak and screw the negativity in this thread (although I get it). The Oilers are going to end this ridiculous streak tonight and do it emphatically.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
One can argue that Lucic and Eberle are overpaid version of Rust and Sheary.
TMac is stacking the 2nd and 3rd line by putting 2 bums on McDavids line ala PIT.

Except that those two bums don't benefit from playing against the heaviest match-ups, they benefit being away from them.

I mean, there is a perfect comparable for what's going on here. Here were Pittsburgh's lines to start 2015-16 under Mike Johnston:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Porter-Bonino-Plotnikov
Farnham-Cullen-Rust

Notice how Johnston put his two worst two-way wingers with Crosby?

After going a predictable 15-13 start- one during which Crosby struggled to score- Johnston was summarily fired. His replacement- an astute fellow who could actually adapt and adjust his lines based on the strengths and weaknesses of his roster- did this:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Sundqvist-Cullen-Fehr

The Pens then went on to win the Cup.

TMac is our Johnston; so long as he is here and coaching like this is 1976 and not 2016, the Oilers simply won't play up to the ceiling of their potential. It's sad but true.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The Oilers don't make any sense this year so I really don't know what to expect.

Following history, both recent and long standing, its a guaranteed loss.

Yotes are a terrible team currently playing terrible that believe they can beat us.

It would be nice to see the Oilers start developing a killer instinct no mercy type of attitude and blast these guys for a snowman while giving up nothing.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
All streaks come to a end tonight it's the Yotes against Oilers. this team will lose one more till end of Dec this is not the one. Oilers will go on a good run next 15 games
9 4 2

Last edited:

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Anyone feel like because of Fitter's and Toedrag's killer GDT's, it's created an unwillingness for anyone to put up one on game days this year?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
McDavid needs a 6 point night. The Art Ross race is too close for comfort at the moment.

Only good thing is the Pens have had like three 7 goal games in the past couple weeks or so and Crosby "only" has 4 points in those.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
do​
But Connor, as you note, is going to get those top pairing assignments regardless. Why continue to stick him with a soft, slow, lazy winger who has goals in something like six of his last 35 games? Why reward such an inept player with that kind of ice-time? Why stifle what little creativity that line CAN generate against the OELs of the world by keeping it intact?

I mean, look to the Penguins for an example of how to do this right:

Conor Sheary-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Chris Kunitz-Evgeni Malkin-Patric Hornqvist
Carl Hagelin-Nick Bonino-Phil Kessel
Scott Wilson-Matt Cullen-Eric Fehr

Notice how they shelter their version of Eberle on the third line, rather than stacking the top unit. Notice also how they have plenty of two-way aptitude to babysit a player who is normally a 5 on 5 liability.

Todd's lines are yet another example of him being completely unable to adjust to the realities of the game and the strengths/weaknesses of his roster. He's a coach whose reputation is solely based on the talented teams he had in San Jose- a team, you might have noticed, that got better immediately after he left. He's going to do the same here, holding the Oilers back in the process.

I don't alway agree with your take on someone, but i do appreciate you taking the time to explain why you feel the way you do. I never get the sense of blind hatred i get from others.
Cheers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Alright boys. Big win coming up 5-0 thrashing for the good guys

Puljujarvi unleashes a rocket top shelf, proceeds to do the best celly we have seen this year
RNH gets 2 goals and 2 assits
McDavid will add the other 2 goals- 1 of them will be a absolute highlight reel goal that will go down close to ovechkins sliding goal against the Yotes many moons ago
Draisaitl will be good for 4 assists

This game is going to be such a thrashing I wont even need to watch. See everyone in the PGT

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Sure would be nice to get a win against that sad sack franchise for once. Seeing all the predictions for a win makes me nervous, but if we do manage to win tonight, I'll forget about all the losses to the garbage teams this year, and be more positive. Please win tonight, guys. I'm expecting a boring ass loss, but I'd love a McWin.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
do​

I don't alway agree with your take on someone, but i do appreciate you taking the time to explain why you feel the way you do. I never get the sense of blind hatred i get from others.
Cheers.

Thanks, appreciate that. There is some emotion there to be sure at times- just like any fan I suppose- but I try to ground my take in actual events and circumstances rather than simply maintaining a rosy view of the team and its players. Not welcome by all, obviously, but cheers to you as well.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hey snipes.

Stop making work for me and take it up with whoever PM'ed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad