GDT: oilers/yotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
If they keep running with Lucic - McDavid - Eberle I'll literally be sick. I'd go with
Lucic - McDavid - JP
Maroon - Drai - RNH
Poo - Caggiula - Eberle
Hendrics - Letestu - Kassian

Never gonna happen though.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Jesse the curse breaker Puljujarvi will get the 2 points tonight!

I don't know. I saw somewhere that he may be playing with Pouliot (5+2 5on5) and Caggiula (0+2), so I've got a feeling that may end up being a pretty defensive line. But of couse it'd be nice if Pulju and Caggiula could put up a nice show together.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The voodoo ****ing black magic, curse, whatever the **** it is ends tonight.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
It was an optional morning skate, so the Oilers didn't run lines. Connor McDavid, Milan Lucic and Jordan Eberle will certainly play together but after that, it's up in the air.

"They're facing the top checking units," McLellan said of McDavid's line. "We're on the road, they get the top pairs (on defence) so there's a lot of factors that go into their ability to have success. I look at it as a combination. As they're being checked, maybe not as offensive as they have been in the past, it's opening up icetime for others to score.

Holy ****. So TMac admits he's created a line that even a GENERATIONAL TALENT struggles to produce on, but that's fine because "it's opening up icetime for others".

What a brain-dead coach. Seriously.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The dilemma is that if I say they're gonna win, they'll lose. But then If i say they're gonna lose, they might still lose.

So I guess I'll go ahead and say they're gonna lose? At least I'll be right if they do ;)

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Holy ****. So TMac admits he's created a line that even a GENERATIONAL TALENT struggles to produce on, but that's fine because "it's opening up icetime for others".

What a brain-dead coach. Seriously.

No. He's saying that on the road when you have a player like Connor who can suck up ~20 minutes of ice time against guys like OEL and Hanzal because the other team is basically forced to play those type/level of players against him, it's a huge opportunity for other guys to step up and score. Draisaitl-RNH line should be able to tear through middle and bottom pair D. Connor has and will play against opposing team's top defensive players his entire career. Last I checked he hasn't had a problem, over ppg as a 19 year old centre.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Oh good, Yotes game. Not only a Scheduled Loss Night, but a boring game too!

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I guess we'll see if Mclellan is still dense or not. If the game doesn't start with Maroon-Drai-RNH as a line I'll continue to believe he has no clue how to manage a line up.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Coyotes bounce one off someone's ass. Turtle for rest of game.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Just past 6 hours to puck drop and the usual suspects are calling for the coach's head already.

I dare say, the Oilers could beat the Coyotes 10-2 tonight and TMac would get roasted for not benching Nuge/Ebs/Hendricks and thus saving Talbot's shutout bid.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
God I hope you're right.

For some reason this team annoys the living **** out of me.

They always win with bad hockey. Mike Smith isn't likeable. Shane Doan is one of the biggest losers in the NHL. But I like their youth, Hanzal and OEL. It isn't enough.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Fun fact:
Yotes when tied after first period have just 1 win this season, 10 losses.
Oilers tied after first are 9-4-2.

Oilers PP:

At home 8 goals 14% - 23rd in league
Away 16 goals 30% - 1st in league

Woodcroft 1 Fans 0 ??

maybe its not him but the pressure created by fans at Rogers. Darn the tier 1 folks

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
No. He's saying that on the road when you have a player like Connor who can suck up ~20 minutes of ice time against guys like OEL and Hanzal because the other team is basically forced to play those type/level of players against him, it's a huge opportunity for other guys to step up and score.
Draisaitl-RNH line should be able to tear through middle and bottom pair D. Connor has and will play against opposing team's top defensive players his entire career. Last I checked he hasn't had a problem, over ppg as a 19 year old centre.

But Connor, as you note, is going to get those top pairing assignments regardless. Why continue to stick him with a soft, slow, lazy winger who has goals in something like six of his last 35 games? Why reward such an inept player with that kind of ice-time? Why stifle what little creativity that line CAN generate against the OELs of the world by keeping it intact?

I mean, look to the Penguins for an example of how to do this right:

Conor Sheary-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Chris Kunitz-Evgeni Malkin-Patric Hornqvist
Carl Hagelin-Nick Bonino-Phil Kessel
Scott Wilson-Matt Cullen-Eric Fehr

Notice how they shelter their version of Eberle on the third line, rather than stacking the top unit. Notice also how they have plenty of two-way aptitude to babysit a player who is normally a 5 on 5 liability.

Todd's lines are yet another example of him being completely unable to adjust to the realities of the game and the strengths/weaknesses of his roster. He's a coach whose reputation is solely based on the talented teams he had in San Jose- a team, you might have noticed, that got better immediately after he left. He's going to do the same here, holding the Oilers back in the process.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Just past 6 hours to puck drop and the usual suspects are calling for the coach's head already.

I dare say, the Oilers could beat the Coyotes 10-2 tonight and TMac would get roasted for not benching Nuge/Ebs/Hendricks and thus saving Talbot's shutout bid.

If you have an actual argument to make, you could quote the offending posts and, well, argue with them. Drive-bys lack that indicate you have nothing to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad