Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Wow that was exactly the type of game I was hoping for from them.
This is the type of game you usually only see from guilty, we're down Oilers.
Never game 1... are the Oilers done tip toe'ing into series?

This looked like Let's get to business Oilers.

Gonna be honest I almost thought they hockey gods were going to come out of smoke and go Gandalf with a "Thou shalt not win!" speech. L.A Had 2 super flukers and at least 1 more somewhat fortunate goal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Had a really long day so I passed out during the second intermission ad had to go back to watch the period.
We played a really good game for the most part. Thought the score flattered the Kings a bit, Nurse and Ceci turned into pumpkins at the end there and Skinner was having none of it from the looks of it. But if they are going to have lapses like that, at least its in a game like that and not a close game.

The top line put on a clinic on the score board, and analytically. Henrique and Hyman had great games and McDavid just doing McDavid things.

I think the second line struggled. Draisaitl was playing really well but I think Nuge and Foegele had a really off night, which probably helped influence the icetime decisions a bit. I know Nuge and Foegele can play better so no real worry there. Foegeles hit on Doughboy was beautiful though.

Third line was weird for me. The line looked relatively good overall. They had some issues early on but made up for it the rest of the game. Kane looked to be putting in a good effort which was good to see. That said I still think I preffered the line with Holloway there, I think his and McLeods speed covers for Perrys lack of it more but against a team like LA I don't think it matters all that much, definitely might against the faster teams.

4th line was fine. Did there job, unfortunately allowed a goal against but not the end of the world with them. Thought Carricks best work came on the PK

Ekholm and Bouchard were very good offensively. Bouchard looked more poised than I have seen him in the playoffs which was nice. His PP work was very good as well. Ekholm I think had a weaker game than he normally does but he is allowed the odd off night.

Nurse and Ceci got the top pairing push tonight and it was okay till the end. Maybe they played more cause coach seemed to be resting the top 6 later in the game but they definitely bent and broke later in the game. I think Ceci was the better of the 2, which might bode well cause Nurse SHOULD be better. Lots for Nurse to learn from the end of the game there.

Kulak Desharnais spent a lot of time in their own zone but gave up no goals. Analytically they we abysmal. Weirdly enough I think Desharnais played a pretty good game and Kulak had a rough one. Again, normally a pairing thats better but with how the game went, I don't think they played bad they were just the victims of LAs push back while behind a ton and how the coach was rolling lines. Ultimately they gave up no goals so it doesn't matter.

Skinner I think was mostly good. Didn't like the first goal but outside of that I can't really put any fault on him for the rest. Made a good handful of great saves which kept the momentum mostly in our favour. This is how he needs to play for us to go far this year. I think he looked nervous at the beginning but once he made a few saves he seemed to get into it. He seemed absolutely furious at Nurse near the end and I really can't blame him.

Knoblauch. I think he outcoached the other rookie tonight props to him for that. I liked that he managed the top 6 minutes well, especially with how the second line was playing. Doesn't matter by how much you win by as long as you win and he didn't seem to panic with the goals against near the end. Major props to him.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
We saw a lot of drai in the center of the ice on the PP rather than his usual spot too.
it was a delayed tactic, i know specifically cause i have been trying to explain to my kids how to get open like he does. they cycled on the right side 97-2-93 with 29 in the high slot then he slips out open pass goal. it was like next level ice vision and clearly they practiced it

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What scares me is Oettinger was lit up last year by Vegas too
Really hope that was just a lucky night with the hockey gods trying to troll every hockey fan that pays attention. Stone and his LTIR space in on almost every goal. Just hilarious. Dallas didn't seem to give too much and Oettinger must be able to play way better.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
it was a delayed tactic, i know specifically cause i have been trying to explain to my kids how to get open like he does. they cycled on the right side 97-2-93 with 29 in the high slot then he slips out open pass goal. it was like next level ice vision and clearly they practiced it
Our PP effectiveness has dropped cause teams have seemed to read our set plays and Nuge not being a scoring threat this year. Nice to see them adapt.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He’s also very good in that spot also, his ability to take a pass on his backhand and almost one time it towards the net has to be the best in the league, makes the other team respect him as a threat in the slot also

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
He’s also very good in that spot also, his ability to take a pass on his backhand and almost one time it towards the net has to be the best in the league, makes the other team respect him as a threat in the slot also
yeah dude hes like a pinball bumper there, it can literally go any direction. it works so well because you SHOULD man to man him but you cant in a PK especially with 97 on the ice.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Our PP effectiveness has dropped cause teams have seemed to read our set plays and Nuge not being a scoring threat this year. Nice to see them adapt.

Based on the quote from McDavid about having some more tricks up their sleeve in regards to the PP, I think the Oilers purposedly didn't evolve their PP for the regular season and kept some schemes for the playoffs.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
that has to make the LA coaching staff worried, you cant play rough nonsense after the whistle when the oilers can carve you up on a PP you havent seen on film. and if that is what we say i have a feeling there are 5-7 other setups from that they havent shown yet. Its like a football formation with 15 different plays

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You have to wonder what the Kings do in net. I feel like Rittich in Game 2 is risky, because if we light him up too they don't have a lever to pull to change anything up going back to LA. On the other hand, I feel like starting Talbot is an auto loss so they might not really have a choice.

I can't believe people were trying to say that Talbot and Skinner were comparable goalies and it was a series of "two bad goalies." It's night and day, Skinner is miles better than Talbot and has been since about November 15.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lot of good tweaks for the PP. Was interesting to see their first PP deployment with Nuge on the right side flank and Draisaitl in the bumper. Though they didn't score, it looked to throw the Kings off. Subsequent PP's had lots of great puck movement and of course Draisaitl's shot opens up with some different wrinkles thrown at the opposition. McDavid's speed and quick movement was also critical.

EDIT: Have to also credit Bouchard's calm puck poise as well. He had Kings diving all over the ice to block his point shot only to hold and weave around the pylons.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kings defensive coverage as a whole is kind of garbage though. Far too many times either we have someone wide open or they aren't tying up our sticks. The one goal we had two guys with their sticks on the ice for Leon to hit. D-man didn't really do much to tie either guy up.

Essentially looked like something we would've done in the start of the year.

I think part of it too is they have no choice. It's either trade him now or get drastically f***ed when is NMC kicks in. Guy has shown to be so damn lazy far too often.

Kind of reminds of Penner. Always leaves you wanting more and then just as you are gaining confidence in the guy he goes back to being lazy.
LAs issue is that they don't have the personnel to run a 1-3-1 effectively anymore. Every year the structure has been harder and harder for them to use. Kopitar isn't good defenivsly anymore, the 1st year they were able to use danault to plug that hole but he's started to fall off a cliff himself. Then Blake went and traded their transition players, and it's like...You're not good enough to run a lockdown defense, and you don't have hardly anyone that can create offense effectively on the rush...and you're goaltending is weaker and weaker. Not sure what the guy is doing over there. PLD is a meme acquisition because on top of being generally ineffective, he's lazy on the back check and not suited to transition offense. A trap is basically the worst possible deployment for a player like PLD, not that he does himself any favours.

It's an organization with zero identity. Hiring coaches that implement systems for which the GM has no interest in finding suitable players.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Really happy with the discipline in this game as well.

WIth a 4-0 score last years Oilers would have been goaded into 4 straight penalties after the whistle. The Kings tried hard to replicate that in this game and we didn't take the bait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad