Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
At least we didn't have to hear anybody talk about whether or not McDrai were going to be able to go up against Danault and Kopitar this year like the last 2.

Still funny to me how Danault earned himself a reputation as some sort of elite shutdown wizard all because he got away with murder in the bubble on the Habs.

He is a good 2 way C and a pain in the butt. His main issue is he has to go up against McDavid and Drai over and over :). Kopitar's issue too as he gets older and older every encounter. Hopefully we can just smoke these fools quick.

Reactions: McDoused

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Pretty much a perfect opening game... the Oilers easily dominated them AND even demoralized them further in that LA managed to score like just 1 decent goal.

All the rest were flukes... and I think LA knew it as well... they were thoroughly defeated in that game and they knew even with all that flukey puck luck... they were still easily and thoroughly outplayed.

I think it's still going to be a tighter series than what we saw tonight... but this Oiler team EASILY has the ability to dominate teams and once again what little the other teams had.,. was handed to them by the Oilers themselves. Which is to say... the Oilers have their destiny in their own hands and if they play as well as they are capable of... they can go very far in these playoffs. Clean up those occasional sloppy/dumb plays and this team will easily beat any opponent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty much a perfect opening game... the Oilers easily dominated them AND even demoralized them further in that LA managed to score like just 1 decent goal.

All the rest were flukes... and I think LA knew it as well... they were thoroughly defeated in that game and they knew even with all that flukey puck luck... they were still easily and thoroughly outplayed.

I think it's still going to be a tighter series than what we saw tonight... but this Oiler team EASILY has the ability to dominate teams and once again what little the others teams had.,. was handed to them by the Oilers themselves. Which is to say... the Oilers have their destiny in their own hands and if they play as well as they are capable of... they can go very far in these playoffs. Clean up those occasional sloppy/dumb plays and this team will easily beat any opponent.
The most demoralizing thing is even if the Kings get better its a tougher hill to climb each postseason. Kings are a bit better than two years ago but the Oilers are also so improved. Getting Ekholm, Henrique, Hyman, the development of Booch as a star elite production D. Just so much to contain on the OIlers and ultimately too much.

That said the Oilers nemesis in playoffs hasn't just been other teams. its been running out of gas. To that end they need to make as short a work of opponents as possible. This team could use some rest.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
We anticipated all their options on the breakout a few times tonight lol. Looked like a Barry Trotz team in terms of preparation imo.

Kings have to be a little demoralized. The oilers skated through the trap like it was nothing and there wasn't a minute of LA Kings hockey played tonight.

I want a sweep. Kings fans are primed for outrage and the pitchforks are sharpened. Popcorn is ready

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The most demoralizing thing is even if the Kings get better its a tougher hill to climb each postseason. Kings are a bit better than two years ago but the Oilers are also so improved. Getting Ekholm, Henrique, Hyman, the development of Booch as a star elite production D. Just so much to contain on the OIlers and ultimately too much.

That said the Oilers nemesis in playoffs hasn't just been other teams. its been running out of gas. To that end they need to make as short a work of opponents as possible. This team could use some rest.
One benefit under Knoblauch is he rolls his lines which Woody refused to do. Part of that is they have 4 competent lines and even some competent guys in the press box. The biggest difference being Knoblauch will do it when they're trailing where as Woody would just shorten his bench at the first sight of they team trailing. The better minute distribution and quality press box options like Stetcher, Brown, Ryan, and Broberg give this team a major advantage of not running out of gas.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That Nuge goal was such a smart adjustment by our PP and Gully. At the start of possession, Nuge takes a shot on net from his usual spot. Sets it up for the Kings like this will be any old Oilers PP; Hyman at net front, Drai on the side wall, Bouch QBing, McD cycling around wherever he wants etc etc. Then Hyman pops out of his usual position and pretends to be a shooting option. Kings are focused on a new look Hyman and dont catch Nuge sneaking behind them to replace Hymans spot for the easy tap in.

Beautiful work by our ever evolving PP.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
It’s kinda pathetic and sad actually. It’s not like he’s retired or something. This is an active player, under contract with a rival team showing up to the game wearing the wrong jersey. He could have been here on the ice making himself useful. Chose otherwise. Oh well.

I agree. Not a good decision. He's getting a call from his agent tomorrow lol.

And Klim didn't make it through a single season on the team that was willing to double pay him after he threatened KHL. We got him for nothing for a reason, and we were willing to let him walk for a reason imo

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. Not a good decision. He's getting a call from his agent tomorrow lol.

And Klim didn't make it through a single season on the team that was willing to double pay him after he threatened KHL. We got him for nothing for a reason, and we were willing to let him walk for a reason imo
I like the fact that he seems to want to be here because I wish that we could've retained him. Maybe he now realizes that this was the best fit for him and wants to show support for his former teammates since the 2 teams that he's played for since aren't playing anymore?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Kinda weird that Klim was there tonight. I like it, and I like him. But if I was a Sharks fan I’d be like WTF.

Like imagine if Mcleod started attending Leafs games. It’s weird.

Sharks fans have a lot more to worry about than this.

Young player who wears his heart on his sleeve. I applaud it, even if it's not the most professional move it's genuine and from a place of positivity.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Man watching the Canes Isles highlights, if Bouch got beat like Dobson did on the 4-3 goal, the lot of you'd have him burned at the stake

There were a few here that were envious about how much "better" Dobson was coming along. Of course, Bouchard has a lot more firepower to work with (perhaps a massive understatement), but I doubt Dobson would be a PPG here this season playing in Bouchard's role.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
At least we didn't have to hear anybody talk about whether or not McDrai were going to be able to go up against Danault and Kopitar this year like the last 2.

Still funny to me how Danault earned himself a reputation as some sort of elite shutdown wizard all because he got away with murder in the bubble on the Habs.
Danault is a fantastic hockey player. And he never hit his stride until he left the Habs. For me the three best current Kings are Danault, Doughty (the best player for LA), and Kempe.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I'll have to post this again next game.

86890ca4-9e13-4d7b-b246-b97490524d73.jpg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I gotta get up early for work but I'll be back to like all you insomniacs.
I did an all nighter. Puck drop wasnt till 1120. I do 9 straight night shifts in MAy . I figure we will be 3rd Rd by then. nothing better then getting paid and watching Oilers in playoffs Gonna be a lonnnnng day today at work. Oh well, I got next 3 off after today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad