Post-Game Talk: Oilers win despite Holland’s dithering

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Ceci with the handgrenade to Broberg on the second goal. Skinner lazy on the first. Gotta clean that shit up as that game was a good example of a play off type game. Tight checking and not a lot of open ice. McD takes control. Nurse had a good game.

I don't think Skinner was lazy on that goal. He just didn't use his stick properly on the play. Either try and poke the puck out of the players hand or use it to cover the five hole. Instead he just sort of held the stick out of the way.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Still not the kind of effort you want to see from a team heading into the stretch drive. Torts and the Flyers had us bottled up and we’re delivering a master class on defending a lead until a bad double minor. They had the Oilers completely neutered, who for their part weren’t exactly playing to win.

Hope woodcroft was taking notes last night because his team has fallen right back into bad habits, sloppy execution and effort, forwards blowing the zone, poor defending in zone.

Reactions: Kerberos

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I can see Holland being a douche about it and saying "Want me to make a trade? f*** you guys, I ain't doing shit until the deadline."

Just to prove a point.
Okay, I'm going to say something that I think most will not agree with, but the type of deal that Holland needs to make (big fish) I think we are better served if he uses the leverage of the deadline itself to squeeze what he can. I really think he is using this tactic. I don't think he'll strike out, I do think he'll get someone that will move the needle, be it EK65, Ekholm, Gudas Chyc. We are like 10 days away, patience people

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
To be fair...McDavid was terrible for the first 2 periods.
Yes he was. Thankfully he surged in the 3rd

Still not the kind of effort you want to see from a team heading into the stretch drive. Torts and the Flyers had us bottled up and we’re delivering a master class on defending a lead until a bad double minor. They had the Oilers completely neutered, who for their part weren’t exactly playing to win.

Hope woodcroft was taking notes last night because his team has fallen right back into bad habits, sloppy execution and effort, forwards blowing the zone, poor defending in zone.
Pretty sure Woodys notes are drawn in crayon and mostly just pictures of kitties.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol Campbell getting flack in a game he didn't play.
Yeah, tell it, and Skinner being annointed because he only gave up 2 goals to a Flyers team incapable of scoring and who had their only capable scorer out of the lineup Konechny. The next leading Flyers "goal scorer" has 16 goals. lol.

I'll mention Flyers have only scored 159goals all season, in 59 GP making them the 4th worst scoring team in the NHL. Comes out a 2.69G/g Without their leading scorer they have scored only 132G by far the worst in the NHL. Minus him they are something like 2.2G/G so pretty clearly allowing 2 goals to the Flyers with their leading scorer out is just on par.

Pretty amazing (not good) to be trailing this club after two periods as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another comment. Theres tons of comments on the Skinner stop late in the game. Theres no comment at all that Skinner himself created that bad rebound off a nothing backhand shot. Skinners play and positioning on the original backhand, that had little on it was abysmal and he kicked the rebound right to the only dangerous place and its not uncommon that he does that.

So that "the save" was Skinner saving his own bacon on what should not even have been a scoring chance.

Skinner on the first goal is lol bad. Like what are you even doing? He has to stop being asleep on plays like this. That was an easy wraparound stop, puck on ice, player could do nothing but stuff puck to pads and it goes in. Why does Skinner even have a goalie stick. He's incapable of using it.

Reactions: Beerfish

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Yeah, tell it, and Skinner being annointed because he only gave up 2 goals to a Flyers team incapable of scoring and who had their only capable scorer out of the lineup Konechny. The next leading Flyers "goal scorer" has 16 goals. lol.

You demean Skinner in a win in which he had a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage after Campbell had a 4.33 GAA and an .864 save percentage in his last three games, all loses.

I'm not sure what your issue is with Skinner. It's definitely not his actual play last night.

Do you think Campbell makes that save on Tippett?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You demean Skinner in a win in which he had a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage after Campbell had a 4.33 GAA and an .864 save percentage in his last three games, all loses.

I'm not sure what your issue is with Skinner. It's definitely not his actual play last night.

Campbell doesn't give up that mind blowing stupid rebound on a routine backhand shot. All the player was going for there was a rebound because he must've seen film of Skinner. (lol)

Skinner essentially let in two goals against a team incapable of scoring. He gave them the first one and almost created a 3rd goal.

Nothing against him but he has a lot of work to do around handling around the net plays and in close plays. His rebound control is awful. Not isolated either. He's just really bad at it. Finally he can't play the puck or handle it worth a damn.

Frankly I haven't seen a goalie here worse with his paddle than Skinner. It amazes me at the pro level we have a guy that has never managed to even be adequate using his stick. yet Skinner had Smith here last year. Wonder if he sought to gain any pts or tips at all from Smith. Even Koskinen learned how to use his stick, play puck, etc.

You're selectively comparing stal lines with Campbell facing juggernaut teams that routinely fill the net with a game against the Flyers who typically can't score a goal to save their lives.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I have already congratulated Skinner on his 2nd win of 2023, so I wont comment further on last night.

But to answer your question yes Campbell makes that save, he made 5 of these saves against the Rangers team the other night.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have already congratulated Skinner on his 2nd win of 2023, so I wont comment further on last night.

But to answer your question yes Campbell makes that save, he made 5 of these saves against the Rangers team the other night.
On a few of those hard stops Campbell even deflects the puck right to his defender, and out of harms way. Skinner will invariably put a rebound to dangerous spots. I don't know that people here even notice it much but its regular enough to be concern. Once Skinner puts the puck to bad areas he struggles with ensuing plays.

If anybody asked Skinner his stop there was just atoning for the brutal rebound he gave up on the play. Campbell conversely has solid rebound control usually.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Our goaltending is the same as it has been for years. Some good play by both guys at times but way to many terrible goals by both guys. I am not at all comfortable with either one heading to the playoffs.

As for why the oilers are in the spot they are? Our medium level players simply do not bring it or play well often enough. Guys like Yamamoto, Pulijarvi, Foegle go huge parts of the year doing absolutely nothing but then go on mini heaters for short periods. Guys like Ceci and Kulak do not play steady enough games.

Medium as in medium paid and medium game responsibility. These are also the contracts that handcuff you cap wise, the big contracts don't kill you. The low end playes making nothing do not kill you, the guys getting 2.8-4 million not doing enough kill you.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Although the energy, pace, and commitment to shooting and going to the net wasn't there in the first two periods, it was slightly encouraging that they didn't start forcing things when they realized that the Flyers were going to basically play a 0-5 forecheck. Too often when things get clogged up they try to force things with hero plays and dumb stretch passes than just end up compounding the problem. Thankfully they stepped up an extra gear in the third to put it away.

It's a good lesson for when we will likely inevitably play the Kings in the playoffs because they deploy a similar (non-existent) forecheck. The team needs to realize that when the opposition plays a heavy trap that they will only score on what we give to them, so just be patient, don't force plays that aren't there, don't give them anything and we will win.

On a few of those hard stops Campbell even deflects the puck right to his defender, and out of harms way. Skinner will invariably put a rebound to dangerous spots. I don't know that people here even notice it much but its regular enough to be concern. Once Skinner puts the puck to bad areas he struggles with ensuing plays.

If anybody asked Skinner his stop there was just atoning for the brutal rebound he gave up on the play. Campbell conversely has solid rebound control usually.

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Campbell's rebound control. Up until about a month ago I'd have it categorized among some of the worst I've ever seen. He's got a better handle on it lately, but I still wouldn't categorize it as a strength.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
You're selectively comparing stal lines with Campbell facing juggernaut teams that routinely fill the net with a game against the Flyers who typically can't score a goal to save their lives.

Can you go into your definition of juggernaut teams that routinely fill the net a little more?

The three games of Campbell's I selectively compared against Skinner last night were actually selected because they were Campbell's last three starts. Nothing selective or nefarious.

Oh yeah, Campbell's last three games were against the teams currently ranked 11th, 18th and 19th in the NHL in goals scored per game. How are two teams that are in the bottom half of the league in goals scored per game "routinely" filling the net?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Can you go into your definition of juggernaut teams that routinely fill the net a little more?

The three games of Campbell's I selectively compared against Skinner last night were actually selected because they were Campbell's last three starts. Nothing selective or nefarious.

Oh yeah, Campbell's last three games were against the teams currently ranked 11th, 18th and 19th in the NHL in goals scored per game. How are two teams that are in the bottom half of the league in goals scored per game "routinely" filling the net?
I hope both goalies get it figured out so we're comfortable running with either, but right now we have posters that have said that Skinner has been terrible and Campbell is solely responsible for the team's turnaround in the new year -- and that's just blatantly incorrect and not supported by their statistics.

Reactions: Harry Curry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad