Post-Game Talk: Oilers win despite Holland’s dithering

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And petry had as many or more brain farts than Bouchard.

Bouchards offensive IQ is also much better than petrys

I guess we judge players based on a single game?
Petry’s brain farts were never due to intensity. His issues (poise, decision making) got better with experience. Bouchard has a slow motor and typically that’s a trait that doesn’t change with experience or time. Petry also had the skating to cover for some of his deficiencies (like Nurse).

He’s been bad all season. Don’t let Broberg carrying him fool you.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Petry’s brain farts were never due to intensity. His issues (poise, decision making) got better with experience. Bouchard has a slow motor and typically that’s a trait that doesn’t change with experience or time.

He’s been bad all season. Don’t let Broberg carrying him fool you.
Neither player is carrying eachother on that pair.

They work well together, granted they’ve faced fairly easy competition.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Neither player is carrying eachother on that pair.

They work well together, granted they’ve faced fairly easy competition.
Broberg can play decently with most others though. Not sure the same can be said for Bouchard.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Broberg can play decently with most others though. Not sure the same can be said for Bouchard.
Against easy competition maybe, we don’t know how well broberg will do against harder competition.

We already saw that Bouchard could handle a top 4 role with the proper partner last year

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Against easy competition maybe, we don’t know how well broberg will do against harder competition.

We already saw that Bouchard could handle a top 4 role with the proper partner last year
I’d still trade Bouchard first. His contract is about to get heftier and his play style is duplicated on the roster already.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’d still trade Bouchard first. His contract is about to get heftier and his play style is duplicated on the roster already.
The only reason to trade Bouchard over barrie is he’ll hold more value in a trade when looking for an upgrade.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You’d think the actual results would back this up.

The advanced stats are one thing, but at the moment if a d-man on this team commits a "holy f*** are you dumb?" style of screw up there is about a 90% chance it is either being committed by Ceci or Bouchard. And that's with Bouchard playing the easiest minutes possible with a pretty quiet and reliable partner. He straight up struggles to recognize danger, plays at a snails pace, gets ruined by net front pressure and I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. In the Philly game Bouchard was basically doing all he could to give the game back to them on each shift he took down the stretch.

Bouchard is currently essentially unplayable below his own hash marks. It would be one thing if we had two other reliable right shot D men ahead of him that were very reliable defensively, but we don't. Under the current configuration we basically have to play Bouchard even if he's complete ass because nobody ahead of him can take on more minutes than they're already playing.

It's unfortunate that the right side isn't built properly enough to insulate a defensively incompetent Bouchard, but it is what it is.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The advanced stats are one thing, but at the moment if a d-man on this team commits a "holy f*** are you dumb?" style of screw up there is about a 90% chance it is either being committed by Ceci or Bouchard. And that's with Bouchard playing the easiest minutes possible with a pretty quiet and reliable partner. He straight up struggles to recognize danger, plays at a snails pace, gets ruined by net front pressure and I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. In the Philly game Bouchard was basically doing all he could to give the game back to them on each shift he took down the stretch.

Bouchard is currently essentially unplayable below his own hash marks. It would be one thing if we had two other reliable right shot D men ahead of him that were very reliable defensively, but we don't. Under the current configuration we basically have to play Bouchard even if he's complete ass because nobody ahead of him can take on more minutes than they're already playing.

It's unfortunate that the right side isn't built properly enough to insulate a defensively incompetent Bouchard, but it is what it is.
Its not just his advanced stats that are very good.

His actual results on the ice are also very good.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its not just his advanced stats that are very good.

His actual results on the ice are also very good.

That's not what I'm seeing by any measure. Eye test he sucks, he hasn't scored a goal since November 28, doesn't have a point in 13 of his last 15 games, and is susceptible to routinely imploding against easy matchups.

All I see is an offensive D man that isn't producing any offense and can't defend easy matchups worth shit.

Reactions: La Bamba

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's not what I'm seeing by any measure. Eye test he sucks, he hasn't scored a goal since November 28, doesn't have a point in 13 of his last 15 games, and is susceptible to routinely imploding against easy matchups.

All I see is an offensive D man that isn't producing any offense and can't defend easy matchups worth shit.
This is lots of talk for a D who in his last 20 games has a 1.92 GA/60.

"cant defend easy matchups worth shit", everything points to that being extremely wrong.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is lots of talk for a D who in his last 20 games has a 1.92 GA/60.

"cant defend easy matchups worth shit", everything points to that being extremely wrong.

Are you trying to argue that he's actually defensively responsible?

I could venture a guess why his GA/60 isn't sky high (he plays primarily against the bottom 6; his partner is stable; luck), but it certainly isn't because he's actually good at defending.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you trying to argue that he's actually defensively responsible?

I could venture a guess why his GA/60 isn't sky high (he plays primarily against the bottom 6; his partner is stable; luck), but it certainly isn't because he's actually good at defending.
His GA is in line with his xGA. So while he's on the ice scoring chances are limited against.

Yes he plays easy minutes, but hes doing an excellent job against those matchups.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
His GA is in line with his xGA. So while he's on the ice scoring chances are limited against.

Yes he plays easy minutes, but hes doing an excellent job against those matchups.

I think that's being generous, but agree to disagree. It isn't a made up proposition that he can't defend the front of the net whatsoever and struggles in his own end. He's not a reliable player in any situation other than bottom pair, easy matchup, easy deployment role (and even then I wouldn't exactly characterize him as reliable).

When I look at Bouchard I ask myself "is he going to help us win a cup within the next three years based on what I'm seeing now, or would he be more valuable to use in trade for a reliable replacement." To me it's a pretty easy answer if there's a deal like that out there. I'm getting tired of the days of hoping a player with major flaws figures it out only to be continually disappointed in their play as their salary escalates and trade value diminishes. If we had 5-6 years of track left to win I would be steadfast in wanting the Oilers to keep him, but with a shorter window I don't think it's worth the risk to hope to see if he figures it out. If he doesn't all we have is a more expensive, less tradeable version of the same problem.

Also - as Nielsen pointed out, the knives are going to start to come out for Bouchard fairly soon in this market, especially if he ends up making too much on the next deal. I'm not sure a player like him will be able to handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad