Oilers win 4-3 in OT || TEDDY P

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys, what do we think about Eberle on the 2nd and third line last night? I actually thought he helped create alot of chances on his line, and he kinda gave us a 2 line combo team

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
It seemed like Nurse was offering to "go". I was surprised Getzlaf just skated away. I guess it's alot easier to hack someone with your stick than to actually pay the price.

They were saying on sportsnet that Getzlaf had just returned from having an appendectomy. That was probably the reason he didn't get involved in a scrap. It would have been a good one though. Getzlaf is a tough son of a *****.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys, what do we think about Eberle on the 2nd and third line last night? I actually thought he helped create alot of chances on his line, and he kinda gave us a 2 line combo team

I thought hes still finding his game as not as dangerous as usual. Hell need a game or 2 more before he gets going

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

He seemed to be making the smart plays, not getting into trouble, moving the puck in the right direction in all three zones. He wasnt creating much on his own and with the lesser linemates he didnt get the chance to be his usual opportunistic self and put something in or on the net.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He definitely showed glimpses though

Yup, will just have to do it consistently

Man this top 6 would be so deadly if McDavid was back. Have the top line doing their thing and then 2nd line of McDavid, Yak, Eberle.

Also, is it a coincidence that Oilers best line yet again features RNH? Last year it was RNH, Ebs, Pouliot before it was RNH, Hall, Eberle for a bit, and now its RNH, Hall, LD. RNH is the glue on a top line. He can facilitate any type of player

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yup, will just have to do it consistently

Man this top 6 would be so deadly if McDavid was back. Have the top line doing their thing and then 2nd line of McDavid, Yak, Eberle.

Also, is it a coincidence that Oilers best line yet again features RNH? Last year it was RNH, Ebs, Pouliot before it was RNH, Hall, Eberle for a bit, and now its RNH, Hall, LD. RNH is the glue on a top line. He can facilitate any type of player
Yet he gets hated on.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
McDavid and Drai are going to be the two best offensive players on this team when it's all said and done. McDavid is basically Hall with better IQ and hands, and Drai possesses a natural style that's going to get him lots of points year in year out.

I don't see a similarity between McDavid and Hall whatsoever, unless you're simply saying McDavid is better than Hall in every facet of the game... but that's a comparison, not a similarity.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yet he gets hated on.

Probaly because he doesnt buzz around like Hall or dangle like Eberle. But his style is much needed. Whenever he gets the puck, its going to the right spot. And whenever hes off the puck, hes in the right lanes to prevent chances

I think his skill is being held back so that he can focus on being responsible. Instead of having him try to dangle around D (and risk losing the puck) he gets Eberle/Hall etc to do it so he can be in the right spot if things go bad

Hopefully with Hall being better 2 way and LD being that also calming presence, RNH can take more risks offensively

McDeathbyCheerios*

Probaly because he doesnt buzz around like Hall or dangle like Eberle. But his style is much needed. Whenever he gets the puck, its going to the right spot. And whenever hes off the puck, hes in the right lanes to prevent chances

I think his skill is being held back so that he can focus on being responsible. Instead of having him try to dangle around D (and risk losing the puck) he gets Eberle/Hall etc to do it so he can be in the right spot if things go bad

Hopefully with Hall being better 2 way and LD being that also calming presence, RNH can take more risks offensively
I think having Drai on his wing will relax Nuge. Drai will help him be more offensively creative as he can help back check and be strong defensively. Can take faceoffs for Nuge if he is struggling and give him glory passes as well. Hall being more aggressive on the back check helps too.

It'll be like last year when he played with Pouliot.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think it's pretty clear Getzlaf didn't want to fight, and figured he could intimidate a rookie... unfortunately for him, he didn't realize said rookie was just waiting to kick his ass

I think Getzlaf would have fought under different circumstances, but in a tight game, he kept a cap on it. Smart on his part. I doubt he's a chicken. Still, loved the way Nurse got his nose in there. We need a lot more of that. From everyone.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hope the Purse Man keeps playing like this the rest of the way. We may actually be able to get something reasonable for him come TD. Who would have thought?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It seemed like Nurse was offering to "go". I was surprised Getzlaf just skated away. I guess it's alot easier to hack someone with your stick than to actually pay the price.

Getzlaf playing in only his fourth game back after an appendectomy may explain why he wasn't courageous enough to mix it up with Nurse. They mentioned during the broadcast that he's been playing with pain in his abdomen. Just trying to add some perspective from that side. :)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Once Eberle gets going I think a line of
Pouliot - Blank - Eberle
Can start producing. That again makes Yak the odd one out

The problem is that all the options for that spot are blanks so it's a big problem going forward. This team is going to lose a lot more games than they win until McDavid returns with just one dangerous line and a bunch of nothing.

Can't break up the top line so I'm not sure what Mclellan is going to do but he can't keep rolling with Lander and Letestu as their 2nd and 3rd line centers. Yak, Pouliot and Eberle are neutered because of it, can't let that continue. This is a spot where they could have really used Roy.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Don't look now, but the Oilers are actually starting to get some offensive production from their dmen.

For all their warts and brain cramps, both Klefbom and Sekera are outproducing anyone from Calgary's dmen, and Nurse has 4 points in his first 7 games as well. That should not be overlooked.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Despite him being on a divisional opponent, I like Getzlaf. He probably doesn't want to fight Nurse because a) he knows that he has nothing to gain by fighting a rookie during a tie game, and b) he probably doesn't want to take many punches coming off an appendectomy.

Nonetheless, it is great to see the toughness/grit that Nurse brings to the defense in addition to his skating and puck moving talents.

Exactly. Who would get into a fight soon after getting up off the operating table. Not sure why it would be Getzlaf role anyway. Love that our young D like Nurse and Reinhart are stepping up and getting in peoples grills but that's value in itself. You don't have to fight. Just send the message that you won't take shots. Getzlaf will think twice before taking a shot at Nurse, Toews might think twice before crosschecking Reinhart in the back. Getting in peoples grills and challenging them on their **** is how to get them to back off.

Not sure about all the criticism of Gryba. Plays a solid physical game and took one for the team getting elbowed in the head, dropped him, guy got up, immediately strips Stewart of the puck on a great play (while anybody else would be too woozy to find the bench) and played the remainder of the shift like nothing happened and most importantly avoided a retaliatory penalty. But I love that Gryba is being hard to play against and the most likely to drill some winger into the boards on rushes. The value of that is it creates hesitancy. It says don't go up my wing. Gryba is like a bigger version of Jason Smith. Not sure why all the criticism. He's come here and he's brought his game. This is his game.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem is that all the options for that spot are blanks so it's a big problem going forward. This team is going to lose a lot more games than they win until McDavid returns with just one dangerous line and a bunch of nothing.

Can't break up the top line so I'm not sure what Mclellan is going to do but he can't keep rolling with Lander and Letestu as their 2nd and 3rd line centers. Yak, Pouliot and Eberle are neutered because of it, can't let that continue. This is a spot where they could have really used Roy.
Honestly...I would look at snagging Bozak with some retention for Purcell, Lander and a low pick.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Honestly...I would look at snagging Bozak with some retention for Purcell, Lander and a low pick.

At first you hear the name Bozak and your first instinct is "Oh Hell No" because he's associated with those Leaf gongshows but honestly, that's not a bad option at all. The deal only runs for 2 more years after this one and expires once the big extensions to the new core kick in and he could slot easily into the #3 center spot once McDavid returns.
I actually kind of like the idea. Gotta do something to kickstart the second line.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Exactly. Who would get into a fight soon after getting up off the operating table. Not sure why it would be Getzlaf role anyway. Love that our young D like Nurse and Reinhart are stepping up and getting in peoples grills but that's value in itself. You don't have to fight. Just send the message that you won't take shots. Getzlaf will think twice before taking a shot at Nurse, Toews might think twice before crosschecking Reinhart in the back. Getting in peoples grills and challenging them on their **** is how to get them to back off.

Not sure about all the criticism of Gryba. Plays a solid physical game and took one for the team getting elbowed in the head, dropped him, guy got up, immediately strips Stewart of the puck on a great play (while anybody else would be too woozy to find the bench) and played the remainder of the shift like nothing happened and most importantly avoided a retaliatory penalty. But I love that Gryba is being hard to play against and the most likely to drill some winger into the boards on rushes. The value of that is it creates hesitancy. It says don't go up my wing. Gryba is like a bigger version of Jason Smith. Not sure why all the criticism. He's come here and he's brought his game. This is his game.

This is a great post.

I, too, really like what Gryba is bringing and thought he was particularly effective in Chicago on Sunday.

McDeathbyCheerios*

At first you hear the name Bozak and your first instinct is "Oh Hell No" because he's associated with those Leaf gongshows but honestly, that's not a bad option at all. The deal only runs for 2 more years after this one and expires once the big extensions to the new core kick in and he could slot easily into the #3 center spot once McDavid returns.
I actually kind of like the idea. Gotta do something to kickstart the second line.
Bozak would be fine on our third line, especially if we wanted one with a bit more offense. He isn't good enough for constant top 6 but having him as a 3c filling in as 2c would be good for us.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Are you changing your tune about Nilsson yet?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I'm not understanding some of the criticism either. He's played a hell of a lot more positive games and just a smattering of not so good games. But he really gets piled on after a bad play or 2, no matter what else he's doing. It's like he's an easy target for some, and you can usually wait not too long until somebody criticizes the 1 bad play out of 10 good ones he's made. It's almost an Eakinsish way of thinking, for lack of a better term. And this post takes all the games into consideration BTW. Not just the one I missed last night.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Agreed. I made a mention of this a couple of pages back.
Gryba has his warts and has made his share of mistakes but as a bottom pairing Dman who was brought in to be a defender that's tough to play against, he has come as advertised. He's actually smarter than I thought he was, makes some real smart reads from time to time. Some ugly plays as well but he's a limited player, those are bound to happen occasionally.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Do we still have 3 years on Nurse's ELC?
that's great if we do.
having to sign Nurse and McDavid in the same offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad