Oilers win 4-2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eichel screams a slightly more consistent Bobby Ryan to me.

A more consistent Bobby Ryan is probably an 80-90 point player in this league.

I donno. Lot of Oiler fans in here drawing conclusions on Eichel based on one game (where he scored a goal and rifled one off the crossbar). Just think about where Draisaitl was this time last year, compared to where he is now.

Eichel is going to be a star in this league. Probably a superstar. He was up and down tonight, but he's 19 years old.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I doubt he does, but you never know, so that's why I said "maybe". Carter sounds like a good comparison, actually. Not a great playmaker and average vision, but is big and has a cannon.

Eichel has great vision, he's just given up on trying to dish it out because he knows his wingers suck ass. Playing with the black hole Brain Gionta will do that to a young talent.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
The lineup has been unaffected since Yak went down, in fact we've been much better. Could just be a coincidence, but I forgot about him being out of the lineup.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Amazing how much better the defense looks with no Fayne -- even with Jultz in his place. Ouch. He's just way too slow, soft, and all around crap.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I doubt he does, but you never know, so that's why I said "maybe". Carter sounds like a good comparison, actually. Not a great playmaker and average vision, but is big and has a cannon.

Yep. Both have size and pretty Meh everything but shot. Hence my comparison

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, but we get sour at our own team, and not at the other one often.

haha, ain't that the truth.
HFOil is sometimes sour at the Oilers even after wins. :laugh:

Actually, sounds like some sour grapes about Eichel in this thread.
The kid is a stud, don't know what people are watching. You could see how tough he's going to be to handle once he figures out the pro game.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

OK, that was a fun 3 minutes wasted.

Neilson looked solid. If he continues to work on his positional play and rebound control he could be a legit starter because he covers so much of the net. Could. I said could.

Reinhart skates so well man but is he ever soft as butter.

Refs really screwed around with Hall tonight. Was funny watching him go off with Kane. Blatant unsportsmanlike penalty and he really didn't care because the refs were being dicks. That penalty on Reinhart was legit, but the refs didn't seem very keen on calling infractions when Hall was getting hauled down.

Gionta is an annoying little *****. He gets in people's faces after the whistle is blown way too often and he gets away with it because he's as tall as a 12 year old. If he was 6 feet tall playing like that he'd be sent to the penalty box 2-3 times per game. NHL really loves to discriminate against big players. Don't believe me? Watch the crap that Big Buff has to live with.

Nurse had some really good moments. He knows when to get physically involved to stand up for the team. Nice to see that he isn't a cement head. Funny how Kane backed off when Nurse entered the scrum. Don't feel like taking on a 20 year old kid? :) Also noticed him rushing the puck on 2 occasions which looked really good. If he could improve on 1 facet of his game I would choose his shooting at this point. Doesn't matter to me whether it's his slap shot or his wrist shot. Improvement on either will bare significant upside for the team.

I slept through the first period and was semi conscious for the 2nd and I gotta say neither team seemed really emotionally invested through the first half of the third. They both seemed to really get into it with about 10 minutes left.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eichel has great vision, he's just given up on trying to dish it out because he knows his wingers suck ass. Playing with the black hole Brain Gionta will do that to a young talent.

That's not what Oilers fans heard all summer...

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The downplaying of Eichel in here is just gross..

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
A more consistent Bobby Ryan is probably an 80-90 point player in this league.

I donno. Lot of Oiler fans in here drawing conclusions on Eichel based on one game (where he scored a goal and rifled one off the crossbar). Just think about where Draisaitl was this time last year, compared to where he is now.

Eichel is going to be a star in this league. Probably a superstar. He was up and down tonight, but he's 19 years old.

Yikes, Ryan has 26 in 27 this year. Yeah fair point.

Im thinking mainly about his development curve I guess, I cant deny that I think the kid will be very very good.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I have yet to see it, and I've seen him play quite a bit. I think he has AT BEST average vision. Not trying to start anything, but just being honest with how I see it. So we'll have to disagree on that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
tumblr_m92kw4tNqu1qzirqxo1_400_zpsjgzlo3bv.gif

:laugh:

6-JACKSON-TD-REF-HIGH-FIVE.gif

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Amazing how much better the defense looks with no Fayne -- even with Jultz in his place. Ouch. He's just way too slow, soft, and all around crap.

It's not just that. He does have downright horrible luck. In our first 10 games I think I saw 6 or 7 pucks bounce off of him and into the net.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Eichel is getting super underrated here. People are literally making this inference off this game and maybe the other 1 or 2 times they've seen him.

Cmon, more consistent Ryan? Ryan Malone? I can see why Sabres fan are getting a little bit angry.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I know who you're referring to. Draisaitl didn't have a good game according to one of them. How comical.

jebus Drai was a horse and made half a dozen good to great plays. Why was the one assist taken away?

Anyway another solid contribution from first line. Nice to see Eberle and Nuge get on the board, Khaira doing very well supporting offense there by winning a puck battle resulting in the goal.

Gotta say it but Sabres are pretty porous. I thought we should have been up about 5-1 in this one at one point. We arguably had better scoring chances shorthanded then the Sabres had in the whole game. Are Sabres always this much of a gongshow defensively?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Eichel is getting super underrated here. People are literally making this inference off this game and maybe the other 1 or 2 times they've seen him.

Cmon, more consistent Ryan? Ryan Malone? I can see why Sabres fan are getting a little bit angry.

Eichel's going to be a star. He shouldn't be compared to the likes of Malone after one game in his rookie season.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Eichel will be very good. No need to compare him w/ Drai as they are stylistically very different players. Drai is exactly the kind of player the Oilers need; fits like a glove.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Good to see a solid win...with a lead yet.

Sabres looked very familiar to me, kinda reminded me of the Oilers the last couple years. They still have work to do as well, so I'm not one to gloat about this win. To my eye, the Oilers look a bit farther ahead in development...probably because it took so long to get here...sorta...almost but not quite. :D

That Hendricks /Letestu combo on the PK is looking....what is a good phrase..respectfully outrageous. Hope they keep it up.

Hall and Drai, say no more. Khaira is looking good as well. Looks like Ebs and Nuge or creeping towards their old selves. But Eberle is having a rough time handling the puck it seems.

Fun game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

No kidding

Eichel still is one of the best young talents in the NHL. One rough patch doesn't change that. LD went thru a similar rough patch last year and made it out

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Kid has a great shot but I think he'd have a harder time in WC rough and tumble play. Was a rough outing for him overall and got handled a few times.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
jebus Drai was a horse and made half a dozen good to great plays. Why was the one assist taken away?

Anyway another solid contribution from first line. Nice to see Eberle and Nuge get on the board, Khaira doing very well supporting offense there by winning a puck battle resulting in the goal.

Gotta say it but Sabres are pretty porous. I thought we should have been up about 5-1 in this one at one point. We arguably had better scoring chances shorthanded then the Sabres had in the whole game. Are Sabres always this much of a gongshow defensively?

Sabres aren't even a good team. They're just fortunate to play in the Eastern Conference. Funny enough, the oilers refused to back down from the sabres in terms of physical play. Gotta love Gionta acting like a tough guy like Kane did. Kane's a straight pos. Maybe he can flash selfies of him flexing with money again. Arrogance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad