Oilers win 4-2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Since that really dreadful 0-4 start, the Oilers are 11-11-2. That's really strange to see.

Those first 4 games weren't even badly played per se.

The Oilers record, despite being pretty bad, has never been a great representation of how the team was playing. Anyone who bothered to watch the games, and was being honest, could see that the Oilers were playing a lot better in a lot of the losses this season.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nuge didn't play a second on the penalty kill tonight.
Finally. I've been saying for some time that its crazy to use him on the PK at this stage in his career, particularly to the extent the Oilers have used him.
Just sapping his energy, and giving him more responsibility (as if being a first line center isn't tough enough).
Letestu can PK his guts out. We don't need a $6 million PKer.
I still cannot understand why anyone thought that would be a good idea.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
yeah no kidding. Management was in a pissing match against the players. Word is Mact was about to make a bold move to help out his protege', Eakins, which got nixed by Nicholson. What I'd give to know exactly just what went down.

it really was lower then a snake's belly in a tire rut. rock f----- bottom.

It was probably Yakupov for a former Marlie.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Finally. I've been saying for some time that its crazy to use him on the PK at this stage in his career, particularly to the extent the Oilers have used him.
Just sapping his energy, and giving him more responsibility (as if being a first line center isn't tough enough).
Letestu can PK his guts out. We don't need a $6 million PKer.
I still cannot understand why anyone thought that would be a good idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuge asked to be out there on the PK.

Getting Nuge's minutes down is really important. I'm glad to see some guys step up and help him out.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Our record last year after 28 games was 7-16-5. Since people were so keen on comparing our record to last year EARLY in the year.

They also won 1 damn game between November 11 and December 27 last season.

God that was depressing.

It's almost like the guys hated their coach and were trying to get him fired or something...

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Dont like all this 3 points out of a playoff talk.

Great to be on a good run but before we seriously talk playoffs we have a long ways to go.

Other teams have some games in hand. Calgary and Anaheim are finding thier game. We really should finish above teams like Van and Arizona but they are managing to stay ahead and wont roll over.

Well what do u like then Ann Landers? 30 pts out in November? Us Oiler fans have had not too much to cheer about in years

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
A playoff run isnt a mission impossible! Flames did it with mediocre roster, minny also made a crazy run started with Dubnyks great play last year.

Success is like a plauge and if Nilsson continues his recent play it will, and has already affect the others in the team. Defence not need to play like scared rabbits and take offensive raids etc.

Remember that we had and have injurys on keyplayers and still find a way to snatch wins.

With a healthy roster and a team gaining believes in their selves it could be a exiting second half of the season.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The Oilers record, despite being pretty bad, has never been a great representation of how the team was playing. Anyone who bothered to watch the games, and was being honest, could see that the Oilers were playing a lot better in a lot of the losses this season.

I agree that they have looked like a better team this year.
but while we're being honest, a lot of games the oilers haven't really looked like a good team ,either.
too many players making too many stupid mistakes, and too many players not bringing the effort.

I can't focus on "only being 3 points out of a playoff spot"
when it's taken some hot goaltending to have the oilers only 2 points from last place.

the oilers play after the NJ game should be a reminder not to get too excited yet.

could be worse, though and we do have McDavid to look forward to. While not getting excited about playoffs, I would be pretty happy if the Oilers could be a .500 hockey team this year.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
3 points out of a playoff spot!!

While technically true, we should temper expectations a bit.

We've played more games, we were outshot by a pretty bad team, and we're still closer to 30th than a playoff spot.

Still, there is reason to be somewhat hopeful. The key is to not drop 3 in a row like we're so used to doing. When we lose, get right back out there and win the next game. Don't let it turn into those nasty streaks of suck.

The Pacific is really bad this year, so let's just not be way out of it by the new year. Stay "in the mix" and I'll be happy. I guess you never know, especially once McD is back.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Overall, I thought this was a pretty solid game. The Sabres had 4 power plays to our 1 (which we scored on in the first 30 seconds) which influenced the shot totals some.

Draisaitl is a pleasure to watch play. Made a couple of bad plays early on, but improved from there on out. His passing and vision is awesome.

Hall was buzzing all night. Played a real solid game.

Purcell is quietly putting up a good season. If he keeps this up, we might be able to get something of value for him at the trade deadline.

I was pretty impressed with most of our Dmen. Sekera & Nurse in particular had solid games.

Nilsson keeps on playing well. Bit of a soft on the 1st goal, but played excellent the rest of the way.

Nuge & Eberle are starting to play like they're capable of.

Khairi has played well since his call-up.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
not much talk of Gazdic. that goal of his was the type of greasy hard work effort the oilers need more of. it was a huge goal, too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe this has been mentioned, but one big change I noticed in this team is they are sticking up for each other more than they have the past few seasons. When there is a scrum, the whole line is in there pushing and mouthing off, case in point Nurse chasing down Kane after he gave Hall a can opener. There were several other scrums throughout the game where the whole line was involved not taking any **** from anyone in a Sabres jersey.

The confidence in each other and that "team first" mentality is really starting to shine through with Mclellan.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe this has been mentioned, but one big change I noticed in this team is they are sticking up for each other more than they have the past few seasons. When there is a scrum, the whole line is in there pushing and mouthing off, case in point Nurse chasing down Kane after he gave Hall a can opener. There were several other scrums throughout the game where the whole line was involved not taking any **** from anyone in a Sabres jersey.

The confidence in each other and that "team first" mentality is really starting to shine through with Mclellan.

I do wish the Oilers played a bit heavier though. Hall got crushed about three times last night, you don't see the Oilers doing that to opposing star players very often.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I don't think there is any reason to think Hall won't be our captain.

He has been amazing this season and is so determined. McDavid will have his day, but this is Taylor's team right now and he has earned it!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think there is any reason to think Hall won't be our captain.

He has been amazing this season and is so determined. McDavid will have his day, but this is Taylor's team right now and he has earned it!

Hall should have been named captain back when Eakins decided that running a triathlon makes you better captain material then your actual hockey ability.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
LOL

0-6-4 in their last 10.

...and 19 pts out of a playoff spot. I get this year's Pacific division is weak with the 2nd and 3rd place teams with 28 and 27 points respectively, but there is a chance.

<insert Lloyd Christmas gif here>

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Overall not a bad game, but we really fell apart in third and if it weren't for Nilsson who knows what would've happened.

I know Purcell takes a lot of hit, but he sure is looking like a decent complimentary player on the line. As is Khaira with RNH and Ebs. Good to see.

In the past it seemed we'd just try bump everyone up a spot, but that seemed to disrupt the lower lines and generally wouldn't even help the top lines. Being able to just throw Khaira in the top 6 and have him not hurt the line sure is going to help this team out.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I do wish the Oilers played a bit heavier though. Hall got crushed about three times last night, you don't see the Oilers doing that to opposing star players very often.

You make a very valid point...I don't know how many times I've yelled "DRILL HIM" when an Oilers player had someone lined up only to watch them back off and make as little contact or no contact at all.

I just remember that bus stop meme that was floated around here last season because the Oilers rarely got involved in post whistle scrums or didn't stick up for each other. I love how Nurse is doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad