Oilers win 4-2

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
We're not a good team either (yet). Still making a lot of stupid mistakes, Nilsson is just playing stellar and that's the difference.

The one thing that drives me CRAZY about this team is they *always* have 3-4 sequences every game where they have full possession of the puck and fail to get the puck out. It never fails.

Ah well. Winning sure beats losing so I'll take it.

Instead of banging the puck along the boards where it is blocked, they should pass into the center when it is open. Lots of throwaway passes.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Nilsson had a bad goal against in the first period when I thought we were carrying the play.

And we ****ing still won the game?!?

Nilsson didn't let in 6 goals??!

This team astounds me.

Except for Teddy <3

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Our record last year after 28 games was 7-16-5. Since people were so keen on comparing our record to last year EARLY in the year.

Last year we were right in the middle of our 1 win in 21 game run around this time eh? Man... what dark dark times those were for fans. No one on the team was doing a damn thing and all we had was a guy with his mouth hanging open upstairs and a guy worried about his hair and having a dry suit on the bench (oh, and he also cared about getting more corsi's with no regard for shot quality). We're not a great team yet, but we have come a long way in a year.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Last year we were right in the middle of our 1 win in 21 game run around this time eh? Man... what dark dark times those were for fans. No one on the team was doing a damn thing and all we had was a guy with his mouth hanging open upstairs and a guy worried about his hair and having a dry suit on the bench (oh, and he also cared about getting more corsi's with no regard for shot quality). We're not a great team yet, but we have come a long way in a year.

And not just dark because of the 1 win in 21 games. Also dark because there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Eakins as coach. Mac-T as GM. Kevin Lowe as Lord of the Rings.

*shudder*

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You know a season is ****ing weird when, on December 7th, three points separates you both from 30th place and a playoff spot.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
it was pretty solid game. After that 1st goal was thinking are they going to fold? They are different team they seem to dig down to find a way back. I have to say Gazdic is totally a different player this year. He seems to have gained a step or 2 in speed he is no smooth skater but he is close to a functional grinder now. I see some posts on not missing Yak from what I saw this year Yak and McDavid have some chemistry so I hope he does not get dealt.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Gotta keep the momentum.going and hopefully gain some ground. IMO Wednesday is a must win. Then if we can win 3 of the remaining 6 before Christmas were setting ourselves up nice to come out of the break and perhaps chase a playoff spot. Coming out of the break our last 4 games of the year are against pacific division teams. All those are must wins.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
I don't think I've ever seen Hall have chemistry with a player like he does with Drai, and they just seem to keep getting better. And we've seen Hall look bad with many players, including McDavid. I think Drai does deserve a lot of credit for how that pairing is working. He is getting just as much touches as Hall and he does something great out there almost every shift.

I think they have a lot of qualities that complement each other. Well I guess, with the evidence that goes without saying, but I said it anyway. They both like to drive to the net hard, they both thrive playing in traffic. They both are elite passers as well as have exceptional shots and hockey IQ. They seem to have a good sense where the other is at any time and they've learned to trust that the other will be in position. Neither are finesse players per se, but both are capable of it from time to time.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Just cant believe its December and our current starting goalie has a winning record.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
it was pretty solid game. After that 1st goal was thinking are they going to fold? They are different team they seem to dig down to find a way back. I have to say Gazdic is totally a different player this year. He seems to have gained a step or 2 in speed he is no smooth skater but he is close to a functional grinder now. I see some posts on not missing Yak from what I saw this year Yak and McDavid have some chemistry so I hope he does not get dealt.

Yeah if Yak's gonna be dealt I think waiting at the very least until this offseason makes the most sense. He's only a 2.5 cap hit for this year and next and if he can produce 50-60 points with McDavid that is very very cheap production and could either help him develop into a long term piece or add value as a trade chip.

Either way I don't see any big name being dealt until Chiarelli gets to see the whole roster healthy.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Gotta keep the momentum.going and hopefully gain some ground. IMO Wednesday is a must win. Then if we can win 3 of the remaining 6 before Christmas were setting ourselves up nice to come out of the break and perhaps chase a playoff spot. Coming out of the break our last 4 games of the year are against pacific division teams. All those are must wins.

That's a lot of must-wins. Talk about setting realistic expectations. :popcorn:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's a lot of must-wins. Talk about setting realistic expectations. :popcorn:

I don't expect them to.win them.all. but if they do I think.they'd be 1st or 2ND in the division. I'll be happy if they're in the playoff race come March. Maybe this year's the year they can finally play meaningful hockey in the new year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, those would be my lines too.

For sure. I actually loved Khaira on the line with RNH and Eberle tonight. He does the grinding and heavy board work and then gets the puck to those 2. Nuge got a lot of good looks tonight and I'm actually surprised he didn't pot one, and a lot of that was due to Khaira allowing them to sustain puck possession and get their cycle rolling.

I really like Khaira's game. I think I recall him blowing up Colaiacovo tonight as well which I love to see out of some of our guys, and we finally have some guys between him and Nurse who will back it up.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
And not just dark because of the 1 win in 21 games. Also dark because there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Eakins as coach. Mac-T as GM. Kevin Lowe as Lord of the Rings.

*shudder*

yeah no kidding. Management was in a pissing match against the players. Word is Mact was about to make a bold move to help out his protege', Eakins, which got nixed by Nicholson. What I'd give to know exactly just what went down.

it really was lower then a snake's belly in a tire rut. rock f----- bottom.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
yeah no kidding. Management was in a pissing match against the players. Word is Mact was about to make a bold move to help out his protege', Eakins, which got nixed by Nicholson. What I'd give to know exactly just what went down.

it really was lower then a snake's belly in a tire rut. rock f----- bottom.

I'd expect it was going to be a big trade, probably of either Hall or Eberle.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd expect it was going to be a big trade, probably of either Hall or Eberle.

Probably not Hall. Eakins/Mact were two peas in a pod when it came to assessing players, and Eakins stated in his outgoing speech that Hall was the only star player on the team(despite his struggles at the time).

I do remember there were some strong rumors about a trade of Eberle for Wayne Simmons + a defenseman from around that time though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Since that really dreadful 0-4 start, the Oilers are 11-11-2. That's really strange to see.

Those first 4 games weren't even badly played per se.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It was last game as well. progress.

Nuge for instance played only 16mins last game and thus immediately had more jump in this one. Its like I've been saying the added minutes for Nuge not only don't net us much it tires him out and reduces his effectiveness throughout games. By playing him manageable time much better game.

Other than not being able to score to save his life I felt Lander had a better game. Definitely Letestu has been feeling it since the 2pt game.

When McDavid returns....bwahahahaha. Dominance and submission.

Nuge didn't play a second on the penalty kill tonight. Which is pretty strange, since he's been a mainstay on it the majority of the season. I wonder if the change will be permanent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad